Face in the mirror

Have you ever looked in the mirror in your lucid dreams? I’m just wondering how common this is:

Every time I find a mirror in a dream and decide to look in it, I see my face but there’s always something seriously wrong with it. Like blood dripping off, or I look like dead, bruises and paleness. With a face like that I could be a horror movie actor. Freaks me out every time and usually this affects the general atmosphere of the dream.

Things happen in our dreams are what our subconscious expects to happen. It doesn’t seem healthy for your subconscious to expect to see a dead/maimed you in the mirror.

I would try to confront the mirror in your dreams and maybe ask it why your reflection is F|_|cked up…

===============================================
Also for what its worth:

Under the influence of high doses of certain hallucinogenic drugs {i.e. mushrooms} Part of your brain called the ego is shut down…

At this point how you feel when you look into a mirror, is suppose to be how you really feel about yourself.

I like Gary’s suggestion of asking the mirror, although if the horrific you starts talking to you, that may be even more disturbing.

I’ve never looked into a mirror during an LD, but I’ve often thought that how scary it would be to see a horrific ‘me’ in the reflection. Maybe it’s just that we’ve watched too many horror films!

Sciurus: Looking like a monster in dreams is not good. If I looked like a mirror, and saw an ugly monster, I would be worried about the person I am, because dreams can reflect your true person.

But anyway, I remember I looked at myself in a mirror, in a non-lucid dream, and I looked like some weird Japanese/Chinese guy with hair like a mad professor. That made me laugh, so looking in the mirror in dreams can be funny, too.

I think you overreacting a bit.There is no reason to believe that while lucid dream we see our true selves.Many people have violent dreams,sexuall dreams,weird dreams with all the strangest stuff of the world(real or not).And those people are pretty normal and average representatives of healthy humans.
As opposite to your theories about true self there are also ones which say that while sleeping our brain works in a random mode ,using random images and sound just to prepare to another day of work.Something like disk defragmenter on your comps.

On the other hand i must agree with one thing-humans are really ugly and nasty race-so i wouldnt be suprised if we`re just evil monsters in disguise:)

1 Like

Hi
When i looked in a mirror i first saw myself,but i thought that the mirror is half broken cause my face was “stretched” and i could only see one eye.It wasn´t scary though,more like these mirrors which aren´t plain so that you look either very big or very small (know what i mean?)
After a few seconds the picture changed again.I saw a person that i absolutely don´t know.Suddenly the whole chamber was full of mirrors,but they didn´t look like mirrors,more like TV-screens.On each screen was a different person,but somehow i didn´t like them very much,don´t know why.
I started to think about what this dream meanes while dreaming,that is somehow a strange thing to do…
However,i didn´t really came to a conclusion.
I don´t think dreams are “random pictures” but i agree with Jack that you shouldn´t overestimate this.I think my dreams mostly just show what i have been thinking about in the last few days,but sometimes you can also get “messages”.

Traumgänger

Jesus H Tap-Dancing Christ & Each & every one of his twelve appostles!!! I’m glad to see that armchair psychology is alive and well and being practiced freely and without any apparent discretion on the web… Anyone who’s read even a modicum of psychological literature would never dain to make assertians as to the mental stability of an individual based on his/her reflection in a mirror within a dream! Horrific visualisations can be conjoured up in the mind by a variety of different factors, ranging from residual imagery absorbed during the course of the day, to a slightly nervous dsiposition. I advise anyone keen on pointing out the subconcious flaws in the character of others on this forum should try looking in the mirror, and ask themselves to bite their tongue! Additionaly, the ‘Ego’ is a literary construct designed to identify a core element of the human psyche, and cannot be ‘shut off’ by any form of intoxication… Mushrooms or otherwise…

Good work my friend…

Okay, I am sorry. Maybe I made the wrong conclusion, then :shy:

Roger that…

I just don’t want poor Sciurus having an aneurism every time he looks in the mirror…

Heh, no need to worry about that. It just feels bad to see yourself like that and makes one wonder if anyone else have had similar experiences. Looks I’m alone with this one for now.

You think you’ve got it tuff… My last vivid dream involved the assembly of a gigantic fiberglass hippopotamus!

Well, to each his own…

That reminds me of a nightmare I had several years ago. The world was about to be destroyed and this fact was being announced by a gigantic, fibreglass, fishnet-stockinged, stiletto-heeled womans leg!!

I wonder what gigantic fibreglass things in dreams mean?

I sometimes look like my dad in the mirrors in my dreams. Also, a few times the dream characters have actually called me by my dad’s name (not always when i look like him). I would ask them what they just said and they would say something else, another name. i became lucid like this a few times moving around as him. i had exaggerated stereotype old person problems, so i just flew everywhere.
Scurius i guess your face sort of looked like this… :crazy: I can’t find a good one to represent my dad’s face. But wouldn’t it be cool if you could get your eyes looking like there moving around your entire face everytime you looked in the mirror. :oof: