Opening your eyes

Hey all!

A few nights ago, I had an LD.

In it, I closed my eyes, in attempt to change my surroundings. But I found myself scared to re open them, since I thought my real eyes would open. Eventually in the dream, I figured out " im dreaming, I dont even need to re open my eye lids to be able to see again". But it still posed as a problem. Later on, I again closed my eyes to add a new object into the dream. But when I re opened them, i found myself awake at the computer (still in the dream though, it was a false awakening).

Yesterday, in RL I was on the ld4all chat, and found out that someone else had also recently had the same problem of “being scared to open your eyes”. Anyways… I was wondering how really common this is. And what has or could be done to get around this if it happens again. Is it even possible that my real eyes will open if i close and open my dream eyes?

I’ve discussed this with a few people before. In my experience, opening my eyes while dreaming will frequently cause me to open them in real life. This I believe is due to the very light sleep that you’re usually in when you lucid dream. Anyway, since you don’t even have to blink in an LD, I don’t find this to be a problem very often.

Even when you are in sleep paralysis (at least for me and the person who wrote the book I read this in) you can move your face around your eyes. I’ve read that this can be used if you get sleep paralysis while awake and want to break out of it which I used to do before I knew that I could use SP for something. I think that maybe that area around your eyes just doesn’t get paralysed all the way even when you’re sleeping because for me sometimes in normal dreams if I open my eyes in my dream they open in RL.

Yes I’ve had this happen to me many times. and usually I wake up!
I found that it’s easier to just look away, or cover my eyes with my hands. Haven’t had the problem since I started doing that

Wow, Ill try that next time! thanx a bunch :happy:

Yeah, kulmuras has the idea – in my past LD’s, I’ve always just looked away when I’ve willed something or someone to appear. There was one time though, in a VERY high level lucid dream of mine, that I decided to try to manifest someone without closing my eyes or looking away. :eek:

I willed it with all my mental might for at least a few minutes straight, and just when I didn’t think I’d be able to pull it off, the oddest thing happened. A clone of me sort of spun out of my body and appeared in front of me, right before my (dream) eyes. Well, I thought to myself, “ok that’s a damn far cry from allysa milano!!” LoL … so I covered its face (my clone), and willed it to change, and it did…along with the body of course (thank god!) hehe Well, needless to say, it was a very fun LD after that… :grin:

Dreamscape – LOL! That’s BIZARRE!

Anyways, I used to have that problem too, but now I just look away or just take a glance to something else with an intention that an object/person that I’m currently not looking at to change into something else. :happy: It works very well.

If it happens that you feel that your eyes are closed for some reasons in your dream. Just try and imagine seeing THROUGH your eyelids. That way, you don’t have to open your eyes and accidently wake yourself up. Just 2 cents tip. :grin:

This is just something that works for me:

Try just opening one eye about half way. This way, if you do see the physical plane, you will still be in close contact with the state of dreaming.
If you open ONE eye a bit and see the real world, relax and slowly close it and hopefully you’ll return to the dream world.

I remember one time, while i was LD’ing, i dreamt i was in a castle, and decided to partly open my right eye. What happened was, in my left eye remained the image of the caste, and in the right eye i could actually see the celing above my bed, in real life! I could even see my bedside clock, and yes it was working properly. I closed the eye and continued with the LD. That has to be one of the most bizarre experiences i’ve had.

If you close your dream eyes to long you wake up for real…will differs in time for everybody…depends on how lucid you are lol… :smile:
If you do it not to long its nice for changing your dream scenery.

Jeff

I’m always afraid to open my eyes in a dream. Only when I’m specifically sure I’m still dreaming (such as holding a dream-object like a chair or even the hand of a person) do I close my eyes.