Let's go to war against Iraq!!! II

I saw the video of the POW’s and the dead KIA Americans. Al Jazeera videotaped and aired it on Iraqi television. You can get the video from Kazaa or Ogrish.com (it’s on the first page but under 18 shouldn’t even go to site or anyone with a weak stomach)

War causes deaths…there are going to be a lot more on both sides and you can’t even begin to hope that no one else is going to die. It’s just gonna happen. We are all pretty lucky that we are sitting at our computers not having to be on a battlefield with bullets flying all over the place.

josh

Few links on subject:
tv.oneworld.net/tapestry?story=584&window=full
Horrible story about what can happen to rights of POWs when noone is around.

aeronautics.ru/news/news002/news078.htm
Russian view about war in Iraq, differs pretty much on what you hear on CNN and FOX News.

Speculation about motives for war against Iraq.
ratical.org/ratville/CAH/RRiraqWar.html

indymedia.org/
cnn.com/

“The first casualty when war comes is truth”. Hiram W Johnson

one thing which i can’t repeat often enough is that anyone should “clean his/her door first” (some bad translation of a German saying) before saying anything about other people. that’s exactly true in this war, too. Of course it’s forbidden to show POWs on Iraq-TV. But isn’t the American government showing pictures and movies of POWs, too? And what about the Afghan soldiers on Guantanamo base? They aren’t treated like POWs because they are called terrorists and as such have almost no rights.
Why didn’t the US-government sign the contract of Kyoto?
Why didn’t the US-government allow US soldiers to be brought in front of the International Court of War Crime in Den Haag if they commit crimes of war?
Well, and here’s another thing: Many US-TV-channels call this war a “clean and clinical war”. This is as opposite as day and night! “clinical” (originally meant to help sick persons) and “war” (to KILL persons). That should become the “UN-WORD”-of-the-year.
And if you think that every “embedded reporter” can report without any restriction you are wrong. Every “embedded reporter” has to ask his/her “army-boss” (don’t know how the person who commands an army unit is called in English) first whether he/she is allowed to report. And reporters who don’t come from nations which are part of the “coalition of the willing” don’t even get a chance to enter Iraq and to report independently.

Peace and Happyness to all Beings!

and btw: Hatreds never cease by hatred in this world; through love alone they cease. (Dp. 1,5)
or “One is forbidden to kill.” (some precept of the Holy Bible)
or “One should hug his enemy. This way the foe is not able to do harm to you.” (some saying)

WHOOOAAA…you people just struck something i feel VERY strongly about. I spent the last couple weeks putting together various facts ect. I’m going to start a new post called “FACTS ABOUT IRAQ”…it will be kinda long, but check it out. SOOOO cool that i finally found a website where the majority of the people (finally some intelligent human life on this planet) are against this war. PLEASE check it out…whether you for or against…it is not opinion, but FACT…if you want to know anything i will pretty much answer any question you have on this subject in that post. Give me a little while, i should have it up in the next few hours…if not it will be up within the next day or so.

What also bothers me is how, as always, the media play along with the government’s war…

" FAIR-L
Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting
Media analysis, critiques and activism

ACTION ALERT:
Media Should Follow Up on Civilian Deaths:
Journalist’s evidence that U.S. bombed market ignored by U.S. press

April 4, 2003

In two separate incidents last week, dozens of Iraqis were killed by what
eyewitness survivors claim were U.S. airstrikes. U.S. officials, however,
offered a range of denials and evasions about what may have caused the
explosions. Despite evidence uncovered by one British newspaper about the
second (and more deadly) of the incidents, however, most U.S. media
outlets have allowed the story to end with the official denials.

On March 28, in an open-air market in the Shuala section of Baghdad, over
60 people were reportedly killed in what seemed to be a missile attack–
the Los Angeles Times (3/29/03), for example, reported matter-of-factly
that “a missile slammed into a crowded market area.” But as with an
earlier explosion on March 26, the New York Times’ John F. Burns reported
(3/29/03) that “it was impossible to determine the cause,” adding that “a
Central Command spokesman in Qatar said Friday night that the United
States could not tell what caused the bombing on Friday.” Burns suggested
that these incidents “threaten to become yet another major problem for the
Bush administration.”

The PR angle was also highlighted on the CBS Evening News after the
earlier explosion (3/26/03), with anchor Dan Rather noting that “scenes of
civilian carnage in Baghdad, however they happened and whoever caused
them, today quickly became part of a propaganda war, the very thing U.S.
military planners have tried to avoid.” (Of course, the extensive
preparations the Pentagon made for communicating to the press before the
war indicate that it was not hoping to “avoid” a propaganda war-- but to
win one.)

While one might hope that reporters would be interested in uncovering the
cause of more than 60 civilian deaths, U.S. media have so far made little
effort to investigate the Shuala incident. One British reporter on the
scene, however, found evidence that appears to shed light on the origin of
the devastation.

On March 30, Robert Fisk reported in the London Independent that what
appeared to be a missile fragment was found on the scene of the
explosion-- and that it bore a visible serial number, which Fisk
published. In a follow-up report on April 2, the Independent’s Cahal
Milmo reported that the serial number could be traced back to the Raytheon
Corporation, and that the weapon was “thought to be either a HARM
anti-radar missile or a Paveway laser-guided bomb.” The Independent
continues: “The American military has confirmed that a navy EA-6B
‘Prowler’ jet, based on the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk, was in action over the
Iraqi capital on Friday and fired at least one HARM missile to protect two
American fighters from a surface-to-air missile battery.”

Some media accounts have pointed to the relatively small crater created by
the explosion at Shuala as an indication that a U.S. cruise missile was
not responsible. But cruise missiles are not the only weapons being
launched from U.S. planes in Iraq. The Independent reported that,
according to experts, “the damage caused at Shuala was consistent with
that of Paveway or, more probably, a HARM weapon,” which are smaller than
cruise missiles.

So far, according to a search of the Nexis database, no major U.S. news
outlet has picked up this new information; instead, reporters have
continued to relay U.S. officials’ denials of any knowledge about the
Shuala blast. The New York Times’ Burns (4/4/03) questioned why the
Iraqis have not been able to explain the incident: “Often, as in Shuala,
officials have delayed taking reporters to the site for hours, and have
met with evasions the inquiries about the unusually small crater at the
marketplace, and the fact that most victims appeared to have died from
shrapnel wounds and not from the kind of blast associated with high-energy
bombs and missiles.”

On NPR’s Talk of the Nation (4/2/03), the question of civilian casualties
was discussed by host Neal Conan with guests Michael O’Hanlon of the
Brookings Institution and retired Marine Col. Gary Anderson. In response
to a caller’s question, Conan explained that U.S. military officials still
could not find any evidence that the first bombing was caused by a U.S.
weapon.

O’Hanlon then explained that an investigation into these cases would
involve answering three questions: verifying where you were shooting, and
tracking “how many of the bombs or cruise missiles that you fired reached
their proper targets”; looking for bomb fragments; and, finally, judging
the size of the crater left by the explosion, “whether it’s consistent
with the size of the explosive charge that was on the warhead in question,
possibly even the shape of the crater and things like that.”

Interestingly, the report in the Independent provides what could be
answers to all of those questions. But Conan summed up the matter this
way: “There were other attacks, though, and as so far, the investigations
by the U.S. military… are not complete, and again, as Michael O’Hanlon
knows, it may be some time, if ever, before we actually know what happened
there.”

NPR’s listeners might have been interested to know that more information
was available-- even though it wasn’t part of an investigation by the U.S.
military.

ACTION: Encourage NPR’s Talk of the Nation and the New York Times to
continue to investigate what caused the March 28 explosion in Baghdad that
killed dozens of Iraqi civilians. You might suggest that they interview
reporters from the Independent who have pursued the story.

NPR
Talk of the Nation
mailto:totn@npr.org

If you’re a regular listener to the show, you might try calling in live to
Talk of the Nation at 800-989 8255.

New York Times
mailto:nytnews@nytimes.com

To read the Independent’s account, go to:
news.independent.co.uk/world/mid … ory=393066

----------

Please support FAIR by subscribing to our bimonthly magazine, Extra! For more information, go to: fair.org/extra/subscribe.html . Or call 1-800-847-3993.

FAIR SHIRTS: Get your “Don’t Trust the Corporate Media” shirt today at FAIR’s online store:
merchantamerica.com/fair/

FAIR produces CounterSpin, a weekly radio show heard on over 130 stations in the U.S. and Canada. To find the CounterSpin station nearest you, visit fair.org/counterspin/stations.html .

FAIR’s INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: FAIR accepts internship applications for its New York office on a rolling basis. For more information, see: fair.org/internships.html

Feel free to respond to FAIR ( fair@fair.org .

You can subscribe to FAIR-L at our web site: fair.org . Our subscriber list is kept confidential.
FAIR
(212) 633-6700
fair.org/
E-mail: fair@fair.org"

Quote from: Media Control
The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda
by Noam Chomsky
GET THIS BOOK AND READ IT…its 100 pages long, i read it in about an hour. Its cheap too only $9 (US) can prob find it cheaper

“Mohawk Valley formula” or “Scientific methods of strike-breaking”

"worked very effectivaley by mobilizing community opinion in favor of vapid, empty concepts like Americanism. Who can be agaisnt that? Or Harmony. Who can be against that? Or, as in the persian Gulf War, “support our troops.” Who can be against that? Or Yellow Ribbons. Who can be against that? Anything that’s totally vacuous.

In fact, what does it mean if somebody asks you, Do you support the people in Iowa? Can you say, Yes, I support them, or No, I don’t support them? It’s not even a question. It doesn’t mean anything. That’s the point. The point of public relations slogans like “Support our troops” is that they don’t mean anything. They mean as much as whether you support the people in Iowa. Of course, there was an issue. The issue was, Do you support our policy? But you don’t want people to think about that issue. Thats the whole point of good propaganda. You want to create a slogan that nobody’s going to be agaisnt, and everybody is going to be for. Nobody knows what it means, because it doesn’t mean anything. Its crucial value is that it diverts your attention from a question
that does mean something: Do you support our policy?"

“Just in the two years that George Bush has been in office three million more children crossed the poverty line, the debt is zooming, educational standards are declinging, real wages are now back to the level of about the late 1950’s for much of the population, and nobody’s doing anything about it. In such circumstances you’ve got to divert the public, because if they start noticing this they may not like it, since they’re the ones suffering from it. Just having them watch the Superbowl and the sitcoms may not be enough. You have to whip them up into fear of enemies. In the 1930’s Hitler whipped them into fear of the Jews and Gypsies. You had to crush them to defend yourselves. We have our ways, too. Over the last ten years, every year or two, some major monster is constructed that we have to defend ourselves against.”

My “Facts about Iraq” post is FINALLY up. Check it out right here:
LINK

:smile: looks like we have a very interesting disscussion going on here!

Just a few things on this topic I’d like to voice my opinion on…

1 - By not complying with the UN’s mandate to disarm for 12 years Saddam was hurting the image that one must abide by the ruling of the UN. To say that he needed more time is hard to imagine being justified - he had more than a decade. That said, the question was what kind of action needed to be taken. War for not complying with the UN does seem extreame, however peaceful solutions haven’t worked either. So its one of those things where we needed to find a medium between the two extreames…
2 - Purely on a humanitarian level Saddam needed taking out, he treats his people, too afraid to oppose him, like their lives have no value. There is a humanitarian crisis in Iraq only because he caused it. Yes there are other ruthless dictators who are doing the same, I’m not saying nothing should be done about that, but let’s take this one step at a time. This in of itself is not cause for war, yet we have seen that peaceful solutions don’t work with Saddam; he convoluted the role of the inspectors who were only meant to observe as he disarmed into a massive game of hide and seek.
3 - utterly personal opinion I think that the main opposition from France came from not wishing to upset their deals with Iraq for oil etc. For those who foolishly say the US is after oil, we are certainly going to expend more money on the war than we could regain from any amount of oil, it’s not the motivation.

In conclusion, 1 and 2 are not enough for war alone, but considering his refusal to abide by the UN I don’s see another option for freeing the people of Iraq from their oppressor.

In response to above - “Support Our Troops” is Not an empty slogan. There were the “peace” protesters (who get violent enough to throw rocks etc at the police who have nothing to do with the war) who were deliberately trying to stop supplies from getting to the troops. It is one thing to oppose the government in what it is doing, and quite another to try to risk the lives of your fellow citizens who didn’t make the decision to go to war. That, in fact, is my main problem with the peace protesters - they sometimes commit violent acts against the police who are just keeping the peace back home.

In response to everything going down hill since Bush became president, that is very misleading. We were headed toward recession durring the Clinton administration, and I will add, we have never been in a recession - only growing more slowly than before, but not declining below the last GNP which is a recession. Also “and nobody is doing anything about it” could be no more false; could anyone honestly believe that this did not come from a biased source? Someone somewhere is always doing something about the problems of the world, and anyone who doesn’t ignore the facts knows that a democratic government cannot ignore the problems of it’s society and get away with it. Yes it seems that other problems have been pushed off the spotlight a little, but that does not mean no one is working on it, just that no one is hearing about it.

Another point I would like to make about education: it’s not the government’s fault that scores etc. are falling, what I am personally seeing is a lack of motivation in the students to succeed; many do what they have to in order to get a C then just stop because that’s all they need to graduate. They do not care about becoming good citizens watching what the government is doing and speaking out on behalf of what they believe instead of mindlessly taking in whatever any politician says to them.

"In two separate incidents last week, dozens of Iraqis were killed by what
eyewitness survivors claim were U.S. airstrikes. U.S. officials, however,
offered a range of denials and evasions about what may have caused the
explosions. Despite evidence uncovered by one British newspaper about the second (and more deadly) of the incidents, however, most U.S. media
outlets have allowed the story to end with the official denials. "
Not so - they said that their was no conclusive evidence yet - not that there was definately no chance. The media did not ignore that as even I saw the full story on both CNN and FOX. Frankly, the media has not being going along with the government on the war - CNN and other main media outlets early on did their best to shed the worse possible light on any news reported relating to the war. Many seemed to have changed their positions, but the fact still remains.

okay, just one final thought about this topic:
What about the US air strike/attack on the journalists-hotel “Palestina”? Do you think that this is a “chirurgical-precise-war”?
You said, that Saddam did not disarm. So you think he has to be disarmed by war. BUT did the US FIND ANY MASS DESTRUCTION WEAPONS in Iraq? Did the inspectors find any? NO! no! and no!
Well, as I said before: I don’t think that Americans are bad or so, but I do heavily disagree with Bushs politics.

Anyone of you who thinks that Bush is the right man as a president should read “Stupid White Men” by Michael Moore. Just one fact off the book: Bush has been an alcoholic for many years… and has not even managed to get his own children under control - such a man as a president?

That’s all from me on this topic.

Compared to past wars this has been a very precise one, it’s not perfect but much better.

Because no weapons of mass distruction have yet been found does not mean they do not exist - only that they aren’t just laying around for everyone to see. Something like that which is very much against the UN mandate to disarm would likely be hidden fairly well - it would take some time of searching to uncover. The inspectors did not find anything because they were only allowed to look in a few places, and any evidence of such weapons could easily be taken away from those areas before hand, so the inspectors finding nothing is not surprising; the fact is that they should not have to look, the weapons should be presented to them and systematically distroyed.

Two points on Bush: I say he is better than Gore would have been, maybe not the best person for the job, but lesser of two evils, and two, if we can excuse Clinton for his affair I don’t think Bush’s personal life is fair ground to use against him. Everyone has problems and things they don’t want to get out, so I really don’t think that is a fair assessment. Now if he was drunk while on duty so to speak, yes, that would be valid, but this is not.

First of all you are getting your information from american media, which if you researched the subjects being talked about, you would see all the propaganda that fills it. Yeah they give you SOME truth, but for the most part its propaganda to fulfill their own agendas.

Secondly…it was US and UN sanctions that cuased the humanitarian crisis in Iraq. More than 500,000 Iraqi children under age 5 have died from the US and UN imposed Sanctions. It may be Saddams fault for the Sanctions but WE were the ones not giving them the food they needed, because of their leaders actions.
Thats a nice little fact CNN and Fox News don’t like to tell people about

1981, 1982, 1990 the US entered recessions. (And each of those years were under republican administrations I may add) Historically the economy does better under Democratic administrations. Under Clinton he got lucky with the Dot-Com bubble…but the bubble burst towards the end of his term which is why the economy took a down turn, but by no means was it in bad shape. When Clinton left office there was a budget surplus, and and an outlook of paying off the national debt within 8 years. Bush admitted that the US economy has entered a recession, but he had no remedy for the growth of unemployment, poverty and social deprivation, only proposing an extension of his program of cutting taxes for the wealthy and big business. A 760 Billion dollar tax cut, 90% of which goes to the wealthiest 5% of our population. He made only passing reference in the State of the Union speech to social needs such as education and health care, and his budget released funneled nearly all new spending to the military and homeland security. The State of the Union speech came in the shadow of the collapse of Enron, the seventh largest US company and one which has the closest political ties to Bush and the Republican Party, as well as a series of other corporate bankruptcies: Kmart, Global Crossing, Sunbeam, the entire steel industry. But Bush could propose nothing on the question of jobs and living standards except more government handouts to the corporations.
BTW: The National Bureau of Economic Research, an official panel of senior economists, declared that the US entered recession in March 2001, nearly a year after Bush took office.

Education has a LARGE part to do with $ the schools recieve, just look at the test scores from schools in the suburbs compared to schools in the “ghetto”. 50.5% of federal tax money goes to the military…8% goes to education.

I’m not quite sure you understand how the government works. The Government operates for the benefit of the people in office and they people who support them…not the people who elected them. Here is how my Psychology teacher put things (he has a masters in psychology, is a professional psychotherapist and working on his doctorate):

"Believe me when I tell you that no matter what someone claims is their motive for doing something, when personal and political gain are part of the outcome, it is personal and political gain that must be considered as the major driving force behind a person’s choice or behavior.

The events that transpired since Bush was elected, from 9/11 to the current war fulfill conservative republican interests too perfectly to be explained away as pure coincidence. The statistical probability that this all happened without intervention is zero. The statistical probability that there is more going on here than coincidence, 100%. Exactly what and to what extent, I’m not sure.

Much of human behavior is predictable within a certain level of probability. Before Bush even announced his intentions to run for president, I predicted 4 things would transpire if he were elected.

#1 slowed economic growth which would be unsuccessfully countered with massive tax cuts for the extremely wealthy.

#2 A rise in unemployment and little or no job creation.

#3 A war with Iraq.

#4 The criminalization of abortion.

My predictions were based on the conservative republican vision and consistent with what has always occured under republican leadership over the last 20 years. Thus far, I’m 3 for 4. However, #4 will likely only occur if Bush is re-elected.

Bush is only a puppet for those who really run this country behind the scene. It sounds like the X files, but when politics and personal financial gain are involved TRUST NOBODY."

When you look at how this adminstration has lied to the public about what kind of threat Iraq poses to the United States there was another motive for war rather than what they are saying. It was 1 of 2 things or both.

Reason 1 (Distraction)
No matter who caused the economy problems (it could be argued forever), that fact of the matter is the economy is doing bad and Bush is only hurting it more. Un employment is still rising. People don’t like these things so you have to get their mind off it…thats the whole idea of Propaganda (If you don’t believe we are subject to propaganda then your living in the dark)

Reason 2 (Personal Gain)
Bush wanted the coalition ALONE to rebuild Iraq, an the UN to act as the police until a government was put in place. I wonder why this is? Because the cost of rebuilding Iraq would have been more expensive than we ever would have got out of it. The answer is an easy one…while it will hurt the US financially, it will benefit some US corporations. Ever heard of the company Halliburton? They work with oil companies, Dick Cheney used to be the head of that company (this is the perfect example of government doing things to benefit itself). We are not helping the US economy by wanting to rebuild alone…only a few US corporations.

Want more examples check out the Marines words about war in my “facts about iraq” post.

Right on, filmpunk…

Just another thing about the media’s compliance with US policies… Take a look at the way the media reported about countries such as Nicaragua and El Salvador or Guatemala in the 80s. While the humanitarian situation was far more catastrophical in Guatemala and El Salvador it was Nicaragua they covered mostly with negative news. Why? The US had interests in Nicaragua and unlike Guatemala and El Salvador they didn’t play along with US policies. Just have a look around the web, you should be able to find some interesting facts.
Or just check out Chomsky’s Hermann’s ‘Manufacturing Consent’.
The book is really simple: They look at what the news covered… No phony leftist ideologies or anything of that sort. Just facts, and facts and showing where facts were omitted.

A clarification on the never been in a recession statement: I was refering to the recent claims of it, that we have been in a recession since the Clinton administration, if that was not obious to you.

Second, to say that just because it’s American media it is full of propaganda that is pro US is false - there are just as many who have an agenda that agreeing with the government would not fill.

Third - it was his choice to use all the government’s money to construct huge statues of himself and lush palaces rather than use that to help the people. Regardless of sanctions he would not use it for that purpose. You cannot say the the people died because of the sanction because there is no evidence to support that fact. CNN and FOX did not report that because it is a hypothesis not a fact.

Next, I’m not even going to get into the whole “5% of the population” issue. It’s more depth than my orginal intention. Suffice it to say that the many problems with our econmy have been brewing for a Long time.

Education funding doesn’t do squat if no one is motivated to learn. Throwing money at a problem will not solve it. I’m not saying more funding won’t help, but it seems a large part of the problem is apathy.

I don’t believe absolutely every politican is driven by personal motives; there are a very small amount who actually do what they believe is correct.

I also believe you are incorrect in your assessment of his reasons for not wanting the UN involved in the rebuilding - I think it’s a response to those who would avoid any sort of action against Saddam no matter what was going on rather than for economic gains.

One last thing, “I’m not quite sure you understand how the government works” sounds almost like an insult due to the context. I don’t know how that was intended, but that’s just my take on it.

I respectfully disagree with you on all the points you have made, and as of yet have heard nothing that would change my opinion on this matter.

I didn’t bother to read the entire thread, but I’ve got some statements to make here:

1: The Iraqi people don’t seem to mind this war. Put on your TV sets and see people cheering as US vehicles drive into the cites. If they don’t mind, why would we demonstrate against it? One Iraqi who lives in Holland said that his family in Iraq didn’t believe the fact that people over here are actually demonstrating against their liberation. They think of it as an insult!

2: Why do ‘peace’-demonstrations always result into violence? If you want peace, state your opinion in peaceful ways. During this war, I’ve seen demonstrations which are pro-war, and these people weren’t shouting, fighting with the police or vandalising the town. Now is this confusing or what? I don’t say that all peace demonstrators are violent or anything, and I don’t want to offend anyone, but this is something that puzzles me. I look at a scene where so-called ‘peace’ loving people are putting up fights with the police force! What is this world coming to?

If you didn’t notice: :wink: I support this war and I support the American troops.

I will start off with a few quotes:

[size=75][i]“I came to America because of the great, great freedom which I heard existed in this country. I made a mistake in selecting America as a land of freedom, a mistake I cannot repair in the balance of my lifetime.”
–Albert Einstein

"The enormous gap between what US leaders do in the world and what Americans think their leaders are doing is one of the great propaganda accomplishments of the dominant political mythology. "
– Michael Parenti

“One cannot wage war under present conditions without the support of public opinion, which is tremendously molded by the press and other forms of propaganda.”
– General Douglas MacArthur

“The first casualty of war is truth.”
–Rudyard Kipling

“When distant and unfamiliar and complex things are communicated to great masses of people, the truth suffers a considerable and often a radical distortion. The complex is made over into the simple, the hypothetical into the dogmatic, and the relative into an absolute.”
– Walter Lippmann

“The great masses of the people at the very bottom of their hearts tend to be corrupted rather than consciously evil … they more easily fall a victim to a big lie than to a little one, since they themselves lie in little things, but would be ashamed of lies that were too big.”
– Adolph Hitler, Mein Kampf [/i][/size]

None of the protesters are against freeing the Iraqi people. I personally think its good they are free of their opressive government. What the protesters are against is the lies we were told for this war, and knowing that in all likelyhood war will stem more terrorism. Here is what needs to be considered, should we watch out for the safety of our selves or the well-being of a foreign people? I mean, is Iraq being free worth having another attack like the ones on the morning of 9/11/01?

Here is a quote from and FBI agent (Coleen Rowley) in a letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller and a quote from CIA director (George J. Tenet) in a letter to congress:

[i]"That posture has been weakened by the diversion of attention from al-Qaeda to our government’s plan to invade Iraq, a step that will, in all likelihood, bring an exponential increase in the terrorist threat to the U.S., both at home and abroad.

And it seems clear to me now that the decision to attack Iraq was taken some time ago and you, even as FBI Director, may be little more than a helpless bystander.

Such an attack, though, may have grave consequences for your ability to discharge your responsibility to protect Americans, and it is altogether likely that you will find yourself a helpless bystander to a rash of 9-11s. The bottom line is this: We should be deluding neither ourselves nor the American people that there is any way the FBI, despite the various improvements you are implementing, will be able to stem the flood of terrorism that will likely head our way in the wake of an attack on Iraq."
-Coleen Rowley

“Baghdad for now appears to be drawing a line short of conducting terrorist attacks with conventional or C.B.W. against the United States.
Should Saddam conclude that a U.S.-led attack could no longer be deterred, he probably would become much less constrained in adopting terrorist actions.

Saddam might decide that the extreme step of assisting Islamic terrorists in conducting a W.M.D. attack against the United States would be his last chance to exact vengeance by taking a large number of victims with him.”
-George J. Tenet[/i]

Just today on CNN they had video of an Iraqi woman screaming at US troops, holding up a picture saying “These children are going to go to your country and blow up your civilians, how does that feel?” What it comes down to is MOST muslims are not extremists and do not support the terrorists actions. But the the fundamentalists who originally do not agree with terrorist actions become more and more angered by US aggression in muslim countries (whether it is justified or not), so over all it creates more people willing to blow themselves to carry out what they believe is right.

I think we are in agreement that this war is not based and certainly should not be based on religious persecution of the Muslims, though that persecution does exist in our country. However, that is how many of the fundamentalists are viewing it, while most of the Muslim population is seeing the Iraqi people being freed, the fundamentalists are seeing it as an attack on their beliefs.

This is a passionate subject, and emotions run high. Because of this intellectual debate and reason are sometimes hard to find and manage. I believe the peaceful protesting is proper and ‘to be desired’ in America. I’m not sure that all proper protesting should be peaceful but this protest certainly should be. First let’s recognize that there are many protests other than ‘anti-war’ protests going on in this country right now.

There’s the anti-protestors protest, the anti-France protestors (this one is real good too… in New York they are protesting the French Restaurants, which just so happen to be fully American owned an operated and simply serve French food). This is good, in my opinion although many people mislead, and I wish ALL would keep an open mind to new information, and base new decisions on new information.

I’ve heard liberals say how conservative the press is, and I’ve heard conservatives say how liberal the press is, sadly the press is just a poor source of accurate information but rather a starting point with ‘stories’.

What we are talking about is 100% perception. Many people continue to say how ‘Saddam and his regime are evil and we must overthrow them’. What you don’t hear many people say is: ’ Why did the CIA aid the Ba’th Party coup over Iraqi Prime Minister Abdel Kassem in 1963 in the first place?’ I see hundreds of fanatical liberals and far too many reactionary conservatives. You can watch Bill Maher make some excellent points on his programs, and then he goes off the deep end even in my book. On the other hand Rush Limbaugh does the exact same thing, he’ll criticize the protestors for being against the war, and then turn around again to criticize the government on how it’s fighting it.

Intentional or not, congress gave the approval for Bush to wage war based on FALSE information. As for the disclosure of WMD. We have no evidence… in our legal system you need a preponderance of evidence at the very least. We are the accusers. This has been the complaint of the international community. We sent people into Iraq to find evidence (inspectors)… any evidence… and while still searching for evidence the US decides ‘Well we don’t need any evidence’. What is that?

I’ll admit I’m skeptical that Iraq doesn’t have WMD, I’d be a little surprised if they didn’t, but I know our government won’t pull out of Iraq without finding evidence whether it’s fabricated or not. (This we will never know because the tests they run will be the EXACT same as our chemical and biological weapons…because WE are the ones who gave them those weapons in the first place)

I don’t disagree that there are legal arguments for this war, we must remember there were legal arguments for Hitler’s actions as well. The defense arguments are a bit shady, we are talking about a country that has no means of outright attacking our country. (Everyone seems to be surprised now that Iraq hasn’t attacked Israel, how soon we forget that he wasn’t supposed to have weapons that could reach Israel…Hmmm? (minus the propaganda of course)) As far a legitimate moral argument I’m still waiting.

Saddam Hussein is perhaps an evil madman, he is however a foreign leader, regardless of our opinions of him, and we need to act like he is. The problem with circumstantial evidence is just that, it’s circumstantial not direct.

Abuses take place all over the world, morally we can argue if war is a way to end abuses. I’m for letting society run its course, be it king, dictator, or president, people throughout history and modern times have always held the one right that can never be taken away. The right to revolt.

“I believe that if we had and would keep our dirty, bloody, dollar soaked fingers out of the business of these [Third World] nations so full of depressed, exploited people, they will arrive at a solution of their own. And if unfortunately their revolution must be of the violent type because the “haves” refuse to share with the “have-nots” by any peaceful method, at least what they get will be their own, and not the American style, which they don’t want and above all don’t want crammed down their throats by Americans.”

–General David Sharp [Former United States Marine Commandant 1966]

Who starved Iraq is another debate, the US/UN controlled the food. Now, the US controls the food. My point was whoever controls the food would be the people’s hero. He may have spent the money on extravagant palaces, but it was just that MONEY not FOOD. WE were not allowing the food into Iraq. And there is evidence to support the FACT people died due to US/UN santions, you can read all about it in the book: “The Children are Dying: The effects of sanctions on Iraq”

On the subject of countries not wanting to attack Iraq because they had business interests with Iraq…I will use France as an example. This is ridiculous accusation. If France had business dealings with Iraq, that would not be their motivation against war, because as soon as the war was over their business dealing would be able to continue. Had the inspectors found WMD they more than likely would have supported action against them. The more likely reason is that most countries believe that this attack will in all likelihood create more problems than it will solve. Nearly every nation around the world and the majority of the people around the world view this action as dangerous to world peace. The majority of the people in the nations of “the coalition” do not support this, and many of their governments accepted because they were offered incentives for supporting. (Remember how much the US was willing to give Turkey in exchange for their support, they finally declined to support the action, but they they were offered a nice “benefits package” if they did)

I really think the number of countries that would have been against action against Iraq (if weapons were found) would be VERY low. And even still, if they want to help absorb the cost of rebuilding then let them do it, i mean really, what kind of point are we making to them “NO, we want to spend OUR money on rebuilding” This makes little if any sense and can only be explained by trying to help certain business’.

As far as Saddam making peace with us, I don’t know that there is information that would convince Saddam to make peace with us. I do believe, however, that if by “peace” you mean “not war”, there were several ways to have peace. But at this point it’s a mute case.

Kim Jong Il may not have used chemical weapons, but he has starved and oppressed his own people, blown up South Korean officials, kidnapped Japanese teenagers to use as language teachers for spies, proliferated missiles and placed 10,000 artillery pieces within 20 km of Seoul. He has intercontinental nuclear weapons, is now seeking more, and renounced his treaty obligations not to build them and threatened that any sanctions against his country would be tantamount to “a declaration of war.” Bush says diplomacy, not war, is the appropriate route with Pyongyang, in which case, many Europeans ask, why not with Baghdad too?

The Pre-emtive strike, I believe, was THE worst thing Bush could have done while in office. It brings us into a world of Pre-emtive strikes which could increase the likelihood that countries such as North Korea and China will claim the same right to pre-emptive action against perceived threats.

In your first paragraph you mentioned:

I’m sorry, These two statements angers me and leaves me thinking you are deluded.
These two statements contridict each other.
You make it sounds as if the US/UN’s intentions were to starve people. What about the locked warehouses full of food that never reached the Iraqi people? What about the rooms full of Gerber baby food collecting dust in Iraq while 1 out of 4 infants were malnourished. These were uncovered by the recent weapons inspectors. Thats a nice little fact that you seem to have avoided. Or did you know that?

WHY LOCK UP BABY FOOD!? I suppose more dead children will create more enemies for the US. It seems to have worked.

Fabricated!!! I can’t help but interpret you as a conspiracy theorist. If the discovery of WMD was ever to be fabricated, why wasn’t it before the war? It would have saved a lot of headaches from those demanding proof.

This statement worries me that if any WMD is found now that some extremist will be yelling “fabrication.”

Let me conclude with this:
The US has claimed and been accused of several reasons for invading Iraq.
-Terrorism
-WMD
-Liberation
-Oil

If just one of these is true, I think it’s for a noble cause. Even for oil! Oil is now our World’s lifeblood and without it we die and crawl into caves. Saddam waste it, burns it and turns it into an ecological disaster. Another crime against the world. Humanity can’t afford to have this “world largest resource” abused like this. It’s limited and we need to manage it intelligently while we learn ways to be less dependent upon it. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with LIVING.

My personal reason is: Saddam is a criminal.
He is an obvious cruel man and for anyone to think otherwise is delusional. How many crimes against humanity is one man allowed? How long does it take for his victims to see justice?

His son was in charge of his torture chambers. The women were often treated more cruel than the men. Women were hung with rods by their ankles so their bones would break. POW Jessica Lynch is thought to have suffered fractured bones. Not only were the women raped but the men as well.

There is also a POW from 12 years ago that is thought to be alive. For me, that itself is reason for military action. If the POW was a family member, I couldn’t imagine just leaving him there. I would picket the White House everyday until someone was sent to rescue him.

The war may have started without everyones approval, but war is not meant to please. War is nasty, but so is sitting on your hands and doing nothing. Saddam is(was) a criminal with a capable military. Only way to confront this offender is with another military. Which is war. Sad thing, but justice is long over due.

You say that Saddam turns it into an ecological disaster…what do you think America will do with it if they get it? They will burn it (by using it) and make an ecological disaster as well. In my opinion we should start to slow down our oil usage immediately. And my main opposition to this paragraph is that fact that you place LIVES below oil. You say its about living… only if you are so selfish to place the quality of your life above the existence of another’s. Oil should definately not be a reason to go to war.

Sorry if i was a bit strong on but my point has to be made.

America?
Iraq sells oil to the world. You are just as guilty as you type this on your electrical computer. You should be happy to hear Pres. Bush has already announced plans to have American shift to Hydrogen, he said “children born today will be driving Hydrogen powered cars.”

You misinterpret my view and call it selfish, I happen to think it is the exact opposite. Oil is one reason our species have populated to over 6 billion people. It allows us to live far north in ice, in droughts, in otherwise remote places, allows us to store food all year long, provides transportation which is also used to deliever goods/food to disaster areas and all over the World, and immense healthcare for births and life extension. We are so dependant on oil it’s scary. We no longer hunt for food, we go to the grocery. Water is filtered and pumped to cities that would not exist like they do today without this, Las Vegas for example.

I agree that it’s vital that we wean ourselfs from such a limited and dirty resource.

I apologize if my paragraph has led you to believe war is justifiable solely for oil. I can understand your passion on such a sensitive issue. I hope you can somehow see that we both share the same passion for the value of life. I hope you can understand how valuable to life oil really is right now, as bad as it sounds it is true. Iraq is the second largest petroleum resource in the world and Saddam is a criminal. Do you think he should have control over such a precious resource? He has abused these resources by torching them, he has robbed this from the Iraqi people and from the World. Should we go to war with an innocent man to retrieve oil? No! Should we allow a man like Saddam to continue to keep his finger on the tap, gaining power, getting rich, and continuing to kill, torture and oppress people. Never!

A thought to remember is Saddam has killed way more people than those that have presently died in this war. It’s a sad reality that life here on Earth sometimes relys on another dying. I think we all can agree we hope humanity makes choices that brings safety to the majority.

I have not heard Bush’s plans, if that is what they are then good.
I know oil gets things moving (i.e. all of what you said) but now that we have the power to change to renewable energy sources we should. If the leaders of the world wanted to they could have had us all living with renewable energy.

And there is enough oil to keep people living etc. and any extra oil would just be used to bring down prices, and to fuel cars that take people to places. There is enough oil outside of Saddam’s hands to keep the world going until it changes to another fuel source. Any extra oil is not needed to save lives, it is wanted to boost the economy.

I know and am glad that we all value human life whether we are for or against the war, but we just have different opinions on the method.

Does anyone know how the “Illuminati” may be related to this whole affair? :cool: