Vision problems in LDs

Okay, in the previous two or so months, I’ve actually had a couple LDs. In these dreams, I tried to use a couple of the techniques that are supposed to make the dreams clearer, specifically focusing on your hands and/or spinning in circles. But there is something that happened in both of them that kept these techniques from working. In both of the two dreams, I had a vision problem, corresponding to the technique I tried to use. I’ll recount both of the dreams.

Dream one:
I don’t remember much of this dream, just a short time before and after I became lucid. I was in the stairwell in my house at night. The light in the stairwell was off, but the light at the top of it was on. I remember the darkness feeling very creepy. Anyways, I was heading up the stairs. I was near the top when I became lucid, for no apparent reason at all. I remembered that you can focus on your hands to make the dream clearer, so I made a motion to do so. That’s when I noticed that my hands appeared distorted, like when you look at them in a fun house mirror. For some reason, at that point I started to head downstairs, still trying to focus on my hands. I started to feel my lucidity slipping. I don’t remember what happened after that, either I lost lucidity or I woke up.

Dream two:
Again, I don’t remember much of this dream before I became lucid. I was in the bed of a truck, heading down a familiar road. For some reason I could see over the top of the truck. As the truck went over a small hill, another truck came into view. It was much bigger than the one I was in, and as I realized with a sickening jolt, it was going to collide with us.
I remember looking into the cab at the driver, and I realized that he was making no effort to move out of the way, just driving along like everything was perfectly normal. I knew that people don’t do things like that, and that’s when I went lucid. I kept saying to myself, “It’s a dream, the truck can’t hurt us.” The “us” was me and the person that was driving the truck I was in-- I couldn’t see into the cab. What happened then was what you might expect it to look like to go through the oncoming truck. When it passed, I looked back and it was gone. Right away, I hopped out of the truck (While it was moving :eek: ). I remember thinking about how unclear the dream was. I decided to try to fix it. I started to focus on my hands, but stopped myself as I remembered that this hadn’t worked in the last dream. (The frustrating irony was that this could have worked, my hands were perfectly clear in that dream. :grrr: ) I decided instead to spin around this time. This is where the second problem came in-- I could feel myself spinning, but my vision stayed in one place! :huh: I stopped spinning to try and think of what to do, and then I woke up. I was slightly miffed when I realized that I had been woken up by a noise upstairs.

So… Any theories as to why this has been happening, suggestions on solutions, questions, comments, anything of the like would be appreciated. Any takers?

Rubbing my hands together has worked very well for me in my lucids.

I’ve had a similiar experience with my 2 ever lucid dreams. I tried looking at my hands and spinning. My hands looked clear but my vision went wierd. When I started spinning I woke up!!

My theory is that I need to ‘condition’ my brain that these techniques are going to work. If not maybe we need to pluck a new idea out and have no doubts this time, just believe that it will work. Afterall a dream is all in the mind so I guess making lucidity stay must all be in the mind.

Must say that once I looked at my hands (not because I was lucid though) and my fingers grew right across the street. Very strange!!

Good luck in the future

Kayos

From my experience, verbal commands seem to work the best. ie: “Increase lucidity now!” You may want to give that a try in your next LD. Good luck. :wink:

I was reading Exploring the World Of Lucid Dreaming and it said try repeating something in your head.
Like a mantra or saying “this is a dream” ove rand over again.

Thank you for the responses! I’m bumping this back up to the top-- I want to get as many different perspectives as possible. :smile:

Key is to remain calm… You can look at your hands, rub them together, and tell yourself its a dream and you have control, but if you get excited it won’t work out.

I have had ONE lucid dream where I was actually able to remain in it for some time, but I found it hard to fully control it. It seemed natural, like something I was meant to be able to do… I remember thinking to myself “Well, this is a dream, and yet I am aware of this. I should take advantage of this opportunity.” And I did. I did not get excited, but I did not tell myself to not get excited, I was simply calm and therefore stayed lucid (I had this dream years before I had even known Lucid dreaming existed).

It was really my most interesting Lucid Dream by far. I was running at incredible speeds and doing acrobatic tricks that would make the world’s best gymnast hang their head in shame (The whole event took place on the block where I lived most of my life, a quaint little neighborhood). I then decided that if I could do these things, then I must be able to fly. So, I ran at inhuman speeds and leapt into the air, fully confident that I would soar, and I did. Unfortunately, at this point, excitement began to overwhelm me and I started losing control and flying faster, and things became more blurry, unfocused to look at. I then flew into an empty space where a school used to be and as I did so, I thought of the school and then it was there… I hit the wall of the school extremely hard and I swear i felt actual pain, which jolted me awake.

I have had other experiences, but none that last so long and was so vivid… Truly, this is the experience which leads me to fully believe that Lucid Dreaming is a reality.