Need help making the ultimate dream diary

taumgänger: Seems simple. It isn’t. :smile:

What I’ve always wanted FOR AGES, like since I was 9 is a program that would visualize your thoughts. Paint in your mind. Think what culture we could achieve!

DJem:

Good work! :content:

I just downloaded your app, and it’s looking really great. As DreamAddict pointed out there are a few spelling errors (mainly on the first tab) and I also couldn’t seem to get the text alignment buttons to work.

I noticed you made the window small enough to actually fit on a 640x480 screen. That’s something I tend to neglect, and people running in resolutions lower than me often find themselves having to scroll all over the place to see everything. :wink:

Anyway, well done. I look forward to seeing the complete version.

Incidentally, I get paid to write VB code, so if you need help with anything, feel free to ask. :cool:

Hmm, I am not into programming, so I don´t know how difficult this stuff is.
But another idea that just came up:
Instead of integrating a paint programm, perhaps you could integrate an option with wich you can “link” each dream with one or more files.
So, if you e.g dream about music like sherlock did, you can just link your dream diary entry with the music file.Or you can paint sth down and link it to your dream etc

It’s so nice to see you all figuring out all the computer stuff. I was in a lot of hurry when I uploaded the file, so I didn’t get to upload the run-time. The Program is in it’s early beta, so it migth be more bad spelling (I am after all a norwegian guy).
I have never tried this on anything else than Win98. If any of you guys have tried it on win2k, winxp, winnt or win95, please report wheter it works or not.
I’ll get a installation file on the 1.0 version so you don’t have to download more than one file

I got the browser added rigth before release :smile:

As some of you migth have experienced, this program tend to be alitle slow when loading big file, To fix this problem I migth gonna switch saving format, but don’t worry, I will release a converter if this will happen.

Setup (including dlls and ocx):
home.no/lucid/dc/DCb15setup.exe

traumgänger: Nothing is imposible in programming. And the idea you have is quite easy. File linking or even file including will come in newer editions if the users are positive to is (as it seams that you are)

Well, that may be becouse I haven’t programed them yet (sorry for that).
I wrote the program on a laptop with max resolution at 800x600 so thats the reson

I have now made it simple for you.
Download the setup file including everything.
home.no/lucid/dc/DCb15setup.exe - 2Mb

Big question. Is there any interest in a Linux version of the dreamcatcher?

The new GUI (graffical user interface) is awesome thanks to chosenone-, I hope to have it included it the next beta (you have to wait until after x-mas. There’s alot to do besides programming before x-mas)

Yes!! :smile:

Double Yes!! :thumbs:

How are the dream files itself saved?

Is it in a database or is it in XML with a dream DTD?

The last one would be cool since then it is possible to export/import it in other programs/databases.

Two confirmed linux downloaders :smile:

Hypnodude: Acctually, the file is saved in coded RTF format and not database format, that couses some edit and speed problems. However, I migth be chancing to C++ since it support both windows and linux (I just have to get my hands on the C++Builder.) then We’ll see.

Yes changing to C++ could be a good idea for portability.
VB.NET might also be platformindependent some time in the future :happy:, that means also a portable GUI then.
Java with its GUI is already platformindepend now.

I agree with hypnodude. XML would be a very good thing.
Last week I started to keep a dreamdiary again, I just type it in XML.
I haven’t made an DTD cause the format might still change, it goes like this… (I translated the words I use to english)

<dreamdictionary>
<day date="yyyymmdd" wd="fr">
  <awake>
    <most_important_lesson>...</most_important_lesson>
    <most_important_emotion>...</most_important_emotion>
    <weirdest_thought>...</weirdest_thought>
    <events>events of the day</events>
  </awake>
  <asleep>
     <dream>
       <keywords></keywords>
       <contents>my dream</contents>
       <feelings>How I felt when I dreamed this dream<feelings>
       <thoughts>thoughts I have about this dream now I am awake</thoughts>
     </dream>
  </asleep>
</day>
</dreamdictionary>

I never really read how to keep a dreamdiary, so important things could be missing, this includes things of wich I tought the were important.
My dreamdiary covers some events of my day before (to see if the dream has something to do with events that day), and off course the dreams at night, it also covers quite some information about thoughts and feelings.

I just looked at the program, Good job!
The type of dream is indeed a good thing, and so is the rating!

edit: wd=“fr” : wd is the day of the week, in this case friday for example.

how do i download this!?!? i tryed the link and its said site not found, plz help thx

Heej folks, are people still working on this Dreamcather thing? Because I was searching for a nice dream diary application too when I decided to make one myself. Not offline i’m afraid but online. With ASP-code and databases that is. I already have quite something finished, like adding dreams, but that’s still in my own langauge (dutch).

If people are interested in an online diary i would like to gather some ‘future users’ for input and opinions about my idea/design so far.

https://www.supersparkie.nl/godd.doc
This link refers to a small ‘design manal’ in which I’ve put my thought to words. Check it out and reply here…

Yes we’re still working on it, but we kept a small seasonal break :happy:

For those who can’t download the dreamdiary (home.no/lucid/dc/). Make shure all letters are small letters. dc gets big in this forum couse it think I meen dream caracter (as i dont) and want to explain it when you are holding your mouse over it.

If all letters are small in the url and it still doesn’t work. Just try again later.

Since I haven’t worked in the holydays, the new betas release date is not yet known.

Dream well all shouls out there.

dammit! I DLed it b4, then Un-Installed in (wuz cleaning comp) and now i can’t get the correct URL again :sad:

Seems like the project died out - I never heard from Djem again :sad:

Project dicontinued since my PC blow up (destroyed cpu/hd/video card)
My web site has runned out of space too.
Really sorry for all this.
After the summer I might get a new PC and then we’ll see if I can reopen the project. until then, byebye