how does temperature,time,etc effect LD?

hey everyone, I was wondering what effect do temperature, time of day, or month have on LD. (If you believe there is no effect I would love hearing your comments also.)

i seem to have more LDs when my room is cold.

I think temperature plays a big role. I think cool is best.

I once tried to experiment with an icepack on my head as I went to sleep, and for 3 days straight I had some great and long LDs. But then I got sick, and I felt the worst I’ve felt in my life. :sad: My body was sore in every position. I was sick for 2 weeks!

I don’t think it was related to the icepack on my head, a bug was floating around here at the time, . . but it was enough to end that little experiment. :wink:

I think that time does play an important role also. I dont mean what time it is when you dream, but how regluar your sleeping times are.
My own experience has taught me that the more I go to bed a t a certain time, the more my body knows when I will dream… thus increasing the amount of lucids…

well they most likely have effects if they make you more aware… for example, if your room is cold you might be more aware cause you aren’t fully comftorble. or if it’s day, the bright light might you more aware. thus increasing the chance of you noticing illogical things in your dream

I think CCHawk hit the mark for this one.

Sleeping in slight discomform (presumably) would result in the mind remaining a little more ‘aware’ than it might otherwise be during a normal night’s sleep. This might be the same principal as sleeping in a different position, or on a slope, which I’ve been experimenting with recently. The idea is that your mind notices something different about the way you are sleeping, and so doesn’t as easily slip into the usually unconscious routine that it’s been developing over your entire life.

I stumbled onto this train of thought a while ago after making the discovery that I woke from most of my LDs laying on my stomach, in which position I’m usually unable to sleep. Try breaking away from your usual sleeping habbit (time, temp and position) and see what happens.

timmerdog above 21 degrees celsius your melatonin production goes down! So this has to effect lucid dreams and rem sleep!

Jeff

in that respect then one would assume lower temperatures would decrease LD activity. Since melatonin actually aids REM sleep the more melatonin the better for lucidity.

Some lucid dreamers claime that they get better results by taking melatonin. (something for the shortcuts to lucidity forum?)

Yes Insanegoth lower temp then 21 degrees celcius would increase lds
(not decrease) more then higher temps indeed.

Mm the bad thing about taking melatonin is that your brain adepts because in the capsules or tablets is way more melatonin then what your body produce.
A French scientist found out that older ppl only need 0.3 mg of melatonin to have a normal melatonin level again.

Jeff

Actually, according to this information lower temperatures would increase your likeliness of having a lucid dream - since in temps above 21 your Melatonin productions takes a dive.

This is interesting. I actually have a rather severe reaction to cold, and anything below 20 usually has me curled up fantasizing about wandering the luxuriously warm corridors of Hell. Maybe I’m affecting my progress negatively by using whatever means available to increase the temp in my room to something a little less unbearable. I’m happy at about 28 degrees.

Lol Atheist are you sure your not a very above average intelligent crocodile dressed as a human?

Lol or a Boatheist or Pythoneist?

Greetz,
Jeff

oopsie - no wonder i’m confused.

I could have swarn that said below when i read it before hehe. (4am here getting fuzzy ignore me lol)

i am always cold and i dont go lucid all the time lol,maybe its not the temp but it is what ur body is used to. Cause i know a few people whole live in hot countrys who go lucid a lot :smile:

Cheers

Richard

I normally sleep at 24 degrees… using an air conditioner when it’s very hot (which it usually is these times).

Perhaps I should decrease by a degree… I wouldn’t like to decrease to 20 because it will be somewhat cold and uncomfortable!

I read somewhere that cold temperatures cause you to have nightmares… I assumed this wasn’t true 100% of the time, but does anyone have any ideas on whether or not that is correct?

That’s why eskimos don’t like to sleep. :smile:

Well your melatonin production is higher at lower temperatures, but nightmares hmmm no idea.
Maybe time to disguise as a steak and sleep in my freezer and find out lol

Lol Daysong iam a cool guy but i wont try sleeping that cool unless indeed iam invited by eskimo’s :happy:
So i probably never will find out :sad:

Jeff

Hi,

I’ve got good results with

a) an open window
b) Sleeping/Napping in the morning/afternoon time
c) having a noise source somewhere in the room
d) the cold and ‘lukewarm’ months (fall, winter, spring)

some explanations:

to a)
An open window lowers the temperature and floods the room with fresh air, which I think makes the brain a little more active. And, according to Jeff, it even highers the melatonin level.

to b)
Sleeping/napping in the morning and/or the afternoon is very good for LD’s because, firstly you are more aware, and secondly your REM cycles are longer (and even might kick in right away)

to c)
Well, I noticed that when I have a noise source in my room, I get more dreams/remember more dreams. I dunno why, but according to the others, the distraction could make your brain more aware (awake). My computer runs all night long, and it’s quite loud.

to d)
Well, that’s mainly because of the temperature. I can simply sleep better if it’s not hot.

In my dorm room the thermostat is broken, and so the only setting is “extremely hot”. I am forced to keep my window cracked a bit, which makes an unsilenceable loud whistle noise. Maybe this could be killing three birds with one stone, by having a noise source in the room, lowering the temperature, and providing fresh air. Just an idea for other people out there that have hot rooms and noisy windows :bored:

Whoa I didn’t know being cool would increase your chances of a LD. I always turn the heat up and wake up sweating but I had a lucid dream. Actually I don’t wake up sweating unless its a lucid dream.