Pschomantea

There was this thing that Oprah (bear me out :content: ) did a topic on YEARS ago… like, more than ten, about a man who put mirrors in dark rooms in front of an easy chair and people would look into the mirror and see the spirits of the dead.

For years I couldn’t recall what the chamber was called but I have just recently learned that they’re referred to as a Pschomanteum.

My question is this, has anyone here ever set one up and tried this? What were the results? ANyone had experience with this?

mm lost boy i heared of it to years ago and i tried lol
but i never saw a ghost :neutral:
Not even casper the friendly house ghost came bye saying “hello Jeffo!”

But try yourself and tell us!

Greetz,
Jeff

I did something like this as a kid once with a friend. We set up a candle in the dark and looked into a mirror to view our past lives. I saw something, my face in the mirror changin into other faces, and my friend totally freaked out and thought I was possessed!

i second what madhuri said.

i once did it with a friend, and i often do it on my own. The mirror has many uses. Seeing spirits, future, past even as an aid to astral projection too.

I once did a candle sitting with my mother, she lit a candle put it in a pot “thing” (can’t remember it’s name) which made interesting shadows the object is to stare at the shadows and they will “change” i distinctly remember it chaning into my grandfather (died before i was even thought of) freaked me out.

A lot of weird and wounderfuls happened when i was with my mom she was psychic. Lots of interestings things back then :smile:

There was a related topic about mirror gazing some time ago. Here’s the link: slagt.net/ld4all/viewtopic.php?t=2468

I did a little search about this. It sounds fascinating:

The Psychomanteum dates back to ancient Greece, where gazing into a reflective pool would produce visions. The modern version includes a darkened room, comfortable chair, dim light and mirror. While seated, the client gazes at a mirror. The chair, is dimly lit from behind, and is situated so that the client does not see himself in the mirror.
Experiences reported range from visions, guides and symbols which provided answers to the participant’s questions, to out-of-body experiences as well as visits and communication with loved ones who have died.
Everyone’s experience is unique and for this reason, unpredictable. It helps if participants have a question in mind or an issue that they want to solve - sincerely. People who go in with no specific question in mind seem to have the least success.
The psychomanteum provides spectacular experiences

hmmm thats sounds really cool but how do u have an oobe out of it???

i think it is also know as scrying i hope i spelt that right

plz tell me how it is done, i have very litte hope with normal oobes and would love to hear bout this.

Thanx

Richard

I think it has something to with the fact that working with a psychomanteum can cause hypnagogic hallucinations, which in turn can lead to OBEs.
I found nothing interesting on the internet about how to use a psychomanteum to have OBEs. Perhaps you have more luck?

I have never heard of this as being a technique to achieve an OBE. Scrying is more like seing visions or spirits and conversing with them. Its not, as far as I know, linked to OBE’s.

As far as I understand it, you just need a low light level, and a mirror. You don’t want to be able to see the light in the mirror and you want to look into it so that you’re not looking at yourself. You gaze into the mirror with a question or goal in mind and see what happens.

I’m going to try it sometime. If anyone else does and has some result, let us know.

ok, fist of all i dont believe what im going to say, its just a though : )

when going out of your bodey you leave this world and go to the astral world wich is as “real”, here it exists things as psysical as “reality” just on another frequecy (the atoms swing around in different frequences)
when you die you leave your phsyical body and go astral…so you can meet them when AP, so when calling spirits from this “reality” you see glimpses of the astral reality…

hehe im tired now, going to bed…

Just a quick note about your face changing to other faces in the mirror, nothing inherently weird about that. Stick your head near a mirror and stare yourself in the eyes for some while. You’ll start seeing features of the face you’re thinking about, until someone totally other than you is looking back. Especially if the room’s dimly lit… Or maybe I just have a vivid imagination. Anyhow, if you want to give this chamber thing a try, make sure you don’t see yourself in the mirror.

ok, I’ve never heard of this or anything like it, but I’d love to try it, although I doubt I’d have the patience or time or concentration to do it right. Does anyone know how long (roughly) results take?

[edit - w00t, 150 posts!)

Sounds like that bloody mary thing where you stare at a mirror in the dark and say “bloody mary” repetedly and eventually your mind starts playing tricks on you and you see creepy faces in place of yours.

Well, I did find a little bit about it. Its the same thing as mirror scrying, a technique thats been used since antiquity. What you want is a low lit room with a largish mirror (it could be small I suppose but not like compact small). You want to sit lower than the mirror so that you’re not seeing yourself in it. Basically you hold an issue in your mind or a person you would like to see and the idea is that after a while their spirit will come to the mirror and talk to you. I saw it on Oprah way back when so its gotta be true, right? :wink:

I’ve heard that it can take anywhere from five to thirty-five minutes. Sometimes repeated sessions help if nothing happens at first. Thats all I know. It seems kind of creepy but at the same time I am very interested. Aside from lucid dreaming I have never experienced anything that could be described as being out of the ordinary realm of experience. Ive always wanted to go somewhere haunted just to try to see something I can’t explain. maybe this will work?

Sounds interesting. I’ll have to try this sometime.