cheese.

well the milk worked for me! i remembered six dreams last night so i’m not complaining at all. i’ve been thinking about writing something like “i’m going to have a lucid dream tonight” like ten times a night or something…but i haven’t done it yet.

I believe in the cheese :happy: I’ve had a couple nights not remembering my dreams, last night I ate a hunk of cheese :eh: and remembered a really long complex dream and had a near LD :grin: cheese is good, so eat cheese :alien:

I just heard this on the radio the other day. Some guy has been doing research with cheese, and he found out that theres something in it that changes into an opate when you disgest it, or something like that anyway. So I’m thinking maybe this has something to do with its effects on dreams aswell?

The thing is, it could really work or it could be just because you believe it will. It’s sorta like when people were given sugar pills and they thought it was medicine. The got better because they believed in it. It’s all in the mind. If you truely belive something strongly enough with bit of doubt it will work.

There is something actually to it beyond placebo affects. It affects how deeply you sleep and that affects how well you remember your dreams. Every biological system varies to certain extents, however, so the effect is not the same for everyone. Eating cheese does nothing for me. Warm milk might though. It helps me sleep better.

This would still apply to cheese cake and strawberry milk right?

lol…i’m guessing so, because if you search around the site and find the lucid foods section it says pretty much any dairy products…

Well, actually I had my first LD after eating some bread with cheese before going to sleep. At that time I knew nothing about its connection to LDs. I guess it couldn’t be placebo effect then…

Advertisements in your avatar are annoying.

I would just want a full scientific explanation on cheese affecting dreams, would convince me enough.

What ads?

Apparently dairy products stimulate Melatonine production in one’s brain.

I don’t have a definite answer, but I believe it has something to do with a chemical present in cheese called tyramine. Tyramine is a monoamine (MAO) like serotonin, which is the brain’s chemical regulator for dreaming (although tyramine’s main function is to regulate blood pressure). I think these two chemicals act on the same receptors in the brain.

It’s just a guess, though. It’s interesting to note that caffeine has a moderate amount of tyramine in it as well. Some people here have mentioned getting lucid dreams off of caffeine before bedtime.

Harlequin

thanks dudes, i knew it was something about some chemicals reacting in the brain, but that’s it

but it’s more than just a placebo. It’s supposed to… not digest properly or something… so then you’re supposed to have nightmares :cool_laugh:

which I believe… I tried eating cheese before going to bed a while ago, and although I don’t remember a nightmare, I definetely woke up scared :bored:

I hate waking up being scared after a nightmare… you’re scared in such a freaky way :bored:

Harlequin was mentioning serotonin levels etc…

Just another tid bit: Chocolate Chip cookies also increase levels of serotonin in the brain. So how about CC cookies and milk? Hummm, gonna have to try that tonight :wink:

Cheers

Milk and cheese are rich in tryptophan which is a precursor to serotonin. I have heard that heating the product causes the tryptophan to become more activated and I have found this to be true in my experiences. Figuring that milk was good and heated milk was better, I went to the next level of drinking heated half and half or even a heavy cream/half and half mixture. I add some hot cocoa mix to make it palitable. Some of my best dream sessions follow taking this before sleep. Highly recommended- and if it fails you have some awesome hot chocolate but with about a million calories…

Ewww I hate cheese by itself… and milk too :razz: But I do like milk and cookies! Yum LoL Okay I’ll try this stuff tonight and tell you guys what happens :wink: Hope it works… That’d suck if I ate cheese for nothing :bored:

How close to when you fall asleep do you think the dairy products would need to be consumed? I love cheese, I love milk and drink it every night with dinner, and if I just need to have some more before I go to bed that would help with LD’s… That would be a complete heaven for me :cool_laugh:

Interesting all this about cheese. My nephew has always said never eat cheese before you go to bed, it’ll give you nightmares… Not in my case, there has to be cheese in my supper somewhere, I sleep better if there has been… I also tend to drink milk in one way or another just before I go to sleep (or when I wake up hungry in the middle of the night)… and I am usually quite good at remembering my dreams…
Food for thought indeed…

Ive had a lot of success with cheese. Just before bed one night i had a few cheese roll ups with about half a pack of shredded cheese. By chance later that i night i stumbled on the suggestion of cheese to help Lds. That night i had remembered about 5 dreams all of which were incredibly clear. Im giving the cheese all the credit for that one but who knows. Maybe i’ll try it again and see if i get the same results.