Reading in dreams

that said i’m betting a few years back Lucid Dreaming would have been “impossible” too.

they say we only use one side of our brain for things. But with breathing we alternate between sides - so why not with dreaming/writing/reading etc?

That said, just because we dream with one side of our brain it doesn’t mean the other side is inactive does it?

if you’re interested; during the day we breathe for about 40-60mins via our left nostril. then our brain swaps this function from the right side of our brain to the left, causing us to breathe through our right nostril. this changing proccess takes about 10minutes to complete.

This proccess is noticable when you have a cold as one side of your nose seems more blocked than the other, then for a brief time both feel okish then the other feels more blocked. Its the proccess of the change causing that sensation.

Ok, I think it is possible to read in dreams in a way. For those who don’t know, the left side of the brain is used for more artsy imaginative type stuff (dreams), and the right side is used for more logical, routine type stuff (reading). Now, while reading in dreams is mostly impossible, it sometimes works ok. I think this is because it’s the actual reading of the characters and translating them into letters, then words that takes place on the right side - which is why it sometimes appears jumbled and wierdy in dreams, because your left brain can’t cope all that well without the right side’s help. However, the actual intake of the meaning of writing takes place on the left side (that is, once you’ve worked out what the words are in the right side, the left side works out what they mean). So, if what you’re reading is simple then there’s a good chance you’ll be able to read it (or at least get the meaning of it) in a dream.

I think.

either my IQ went up at some point or you explained that well - cos i understood it perfectly :smile:

quite a good explination actually, makes sense.

here’s one for ya though.

About 3yrs ago i had a dream and in this dream was the formula for a new stealth aircraft that was capable of chronoshifting (time travel) and the US military guys were talking to me and a few others.

on the black/chalk board were the mathematical equations that made it possible. (clearly advanced maths, or quantum mechanics/physics) now in the dream they equations were very clear. However on waking that knowledge quickly left my memory (possibly because i don’t understand such advanced maths)

But if i close my eyes i can still picture the equations like looking at a photo negative, but i can’t copy what i am visualising onto paper. As soon as i consciously think “write that” the image vanishes (i can write fine with my eyes closed) But it’s like i am blocked from writing this math equation onto paper.

Thanks. I pride myself on my explanative abilities. Well, ok, not really. But people say I’m good at it.

Hmmm, that’s a shame - you could sell it for millions if only you could write it down! Maybe it’s because when it’s in your dream (or, indeed, when you’re imagining it) it’s sort of idunno, flexible? It’s more of an idea or concept than an actual formula, something that represents complicated maths to you, but when you try to pin it down via writing, it just vanishes. shrug

it would probably be a advanced mathematical equation for making chicken soup. :cool_laugh:

About a month ago I had a dream (not an LD) in which I was trying to solve some kind of mystery, and I found this piece of paper which was supposedly a hint. I remember picking that paper and reading it, it contained some kind of a song. I even remember what the song was about and what was its headline. But when I tried looking at it again, the text was all messed up and I couldn’t figure it out (unfortunately, it didn’t some to my mind that it’s a dream).

So in my opinion, as long as you can view the text normally, it can be read. But once it scrambles up, nothing can be done…

Insane_goth

Thats a good question, can a cold change the outcome of how we dream? But i notice what you mean, when you cant breathe out of your nostril when you have a cold.

Is that true that we only use one side of our brain when we dream??? Im not sure if we are reading in dreams myself, i think we just manifest what we are thinking what we are seeing, and just go with the flow of how are dream is occurring.(if that made sense) Because it actually takes time to think of how or what to pronounce, unless its just a natural instinct we grow. Who knows :bored:

Yeah, that’s sorta what I was trying to say. Your brain tries to make sense of it without actually being able to read it.

(edit - 100 posts! W00t, I’m a somniologist!)

I can read too… and if it is something short I will remeber it. However if it is pages of scrolling text ( as I get a bit) I can read it but I seem to forget the exact words by the end of the sentance but I seem to still know the general idea of what it is about.

Has anybody tried reading in an LD?

WaNnAbE

Yep, congradulations on your 100th.
so when we are readin, technically its just an old memories in our head, that your so used to seeing, you actually think that your reading in a dream.(ahh i think i lost myself)

Memories replace reading, does that sound right?
:cool_laugh:

hmm interesting. But i have never covered quantum mechanics so i umm dunno where that memory would coem from lol.

I have read once in a LD, they were posters on the wall. If i remember rightly one of the posters was aliens 5 & Terminator 3 :neutral:

How long ago was that? Must of been recent

once i read perfectly the word(i don´t know f is the correct term in english)PIROMANIA ;it was written in a wall and i became lucid in that moment
And usually i am writting in my dream journal…and then i wake up.this happens to me many times

how does the word “Piromania” have any affect towards ld’s? are you a real big pyro?

Thats cool though, a word just help lucicdity, i want to know my word Bah! :grrr:

In fact i don´t know why the word piromania had appear with such a strong impact in tj«hat dream , i was simply having a quiet walk in my village.
And no , i am not a pyro… but it is true that i have a lot of dreams related with fire… :devil:

I think it goes both ways.

For the most part I believe that we can’t really read as in take text part word by word, letter by letter. I think there’s somekind of compensation with left and right brain. For some reason we’re convinced that we can read because somehow we understand what something says, and the left brain fills in the blanks. I know when I actually try to read text I usually strain my eyes and everything is all blury or jumbled.

I had this strange dream involving cell phone text message. I lost track of a friend and then received a text message on my cell, hoping it would be her. I kinda looked at it, I couldn’t really read it, but I just somehow knew it was spam and ignored it. Now that I think back, I don’t recall actually reading any text or seeing anything clearly.

Strange stuff!

Yesterday I had a FA in which I wrote the previous dream in my DD. Much to my surprise I had the most beautiful handwriting, and I could read it perfectly. It looked a bit like the park avenue font in Word, but a little bit more gothic :smile:

MMMM, that’s beautiful :cry:

I had a semi-LD recently where I was working at a ghetto McDonalds where they sold booze, ciggarettes, and other party store stuff at the drivethrew. Our supply of booze and ciggarettes was limited, there was some behind glass but I knew for some reason we weren’t aloud to sell them. Anyways a couple instances of reading. A customer started ordering to me on the standard issue headset I was wearing. He asked for a certain brand of ciggarettes which we didn’t have. I remember clearly reading the one brand we did have. “Gaevin Light 150’s” (?) and afterwards I found a book and told myself I would remember something written in it. When I tried to read my eyes went unfocused and smiley emoticons kept appearing where letters used to be. I remember one thing I read however.
“Karsh: The MOST appable” :confused:

The smiley Icon thing is hilarious!

Yeah it seems like one’s reading abilities fail when they are needed, but when you read something casually it seems to be ok?