Will this bring me trouble in the future?

…All of my dreams are really, for lack of a better word, stupid. I was reading a topic, and Insane_goth mentioned that she had a dream where she was a designer for some sort of military jet. Then, I realized that I NEVER have those kinds of dreams. All of mine are like me playing some sort of game.

My dream recall has been getting A LOT better, and I’ve looked back, and it seems as if my dreams are outright ludicrous and impossible, but I never do a reality check or anything. I can’t seem to get myself in the groove of scoping things out in my dreams, either. I’ve had a dream journal for about three weeks.

So…Err…? I think I’ll eventually get it, but will me having these ridiculous dreams and not having the ability to realize how whacked out they really are impede my progress?

Well, when you read the description it probably sounds a lot less stupid than if you were actually in it. Probably because people try to make their dreams sound less stupid when describing them to appear less stupid themselves, if you get me? Or maybe it just happens that way without anyone trying. But anyway, I’m the same as you. My dreams always involve ridiculous ideas. For example - Just a couple of nights ago, I had a dream where I found a DVD in my home and the writer/director had the same name as one of my friend’s teachers (who I’ve never met). So I went to find him and eventually I did (in this wierd staff room for a school I didn’t recognize), but then he told me he didn’t want the DVD anyway. Then later in my dream, I tried to give it to my friend because the writer/director person had the same name as him, and the name on the back of it had changed from Dr. Evans to Tom Styles (my best friends name). Come on, that’s pretty stoopid, no?

First off there is no such thing as stupid dreams. Sure other people have different dreams but everybody’s is different just like the individual. Your dreams are yours and yours alone. That’s what makes them so special. It’s great your doing better with dream recall. All it takes is patience and practice. Just keep trying and you’ll get it soon enough. And when you do it’ll be worth the wait.

heh, i just woke up from a dream where i missed some obvious dream signs. my dreams are quite out of the ordinary too, but that’s what makes them cool. i have to agree w/ dreamwalker on this one. your dreams aren’t stupid and maybe it’s your negative attitude toward dreaming that’s holding you back from lucidity… shrug just a theory

[quote="SezrilI was reading a topic, and Insane_goth mentioned that SHE had a dream where she was a designer for some sort of military jet.[/quote]

:rofl:

Anyways yeah most dreams are stupid. Mine are rarly structered and will change sceans out of nowhere

Stupid, ridiculous… I call dreams masterpieces of surrealism :wink:

And I agree with what was said about people describing dreams in ways to make it seem logical. I don’t think most of us do this consciously, it’s more an automatic unconscious reflex to rationalize everything so we can make ourselves believe we “understand” it. Almost like Rorschach-test, where people have to say what they see in totally chaotic drawing (where there is really nothing to be seen). Dreams can have some kind of structure though, but surrealism is king.

That’s why I don’t really trust dream analyis theories (let alone dream symbol books), that’s just another rationalization of an already rationalized description of something utterly surrealistic.

Lucid dreams are often much less absurd because are rationalizing mind is awake then.

don’t worry… you just have to get in the habit of doing MILDs… RCs never work for me I just know I’m dreaming at random times. Just keep up the recalling and do MILDs, read and think a lot about LDs, especially around bedtime. Most important is stay motivated and set your mind to it! Also eat some cheese its good for you

I agree some dreams can seem “stupid” but I find that as your dream recall improves you’ll remember important details that connect the different things in your dreams. One of my stupid dreams, in a nutshell, I was in a wheat field. I was a character from Diablo 2 Expansion, an assassin or more specifically a trapassin. (how lame is that :cool: ) I was killing people with my wake of fire like trap, but then these dogs started chasing me. So I was running through the fields pointing and trying to will my traps to appear like I had done before but I couldn’t so I was stuck running for the rest of my dream.

that’s nothing compared to what i had last night, canadian. I was at a pool party at my school (there’s NEVER pool parties at my school) and was diving for the bottom plugs of piggy banks (lol i was eating cheese last night maybe that was it) and in order to dive all the way to 12 feet i decided to jump off the high dive. I jumped, somehow ended up going in like all the way at the other end of the pool… before i went in i skipped once off the water (like a rock!!) and then got pushed to the bottom of the pool. when I got out of the pool this girl asked me for “payment” (i dont know… don’t get the wrong idea i think there was a price for the contest or she was teasing me) anyway I took an AOL demo cd (1045 hours absolutely FREE!) and flung it like a frisbee to her. THEN i became lucid because i was wondering how the hell I had an aol cd in my pocket (haha didnt even think about skipping off the water or diving for parts of piggy banks) and woke up immediately (damn that always happens) so you see wierd dreams are fun to have, even though you don’t become lucid. i was laughing while i was recalling it in the morning! oh yeah there was also one (same night) where i was pushing a trash can full of veggies along a dirt path to sell. i was riding it like i do with shopping carts (hehe) and in my dream i was a farmer. didnt even become lucid, even though it was too stupid to be true.

Mine was off the top of my head. Don’t make me find a super stupid one. My dream journal consists of 3 binders. Don’t make me crack them open :content:

taking about dreams “stupid dreams” this was more like a nightmare. in the dream I got a pink bunny costume for christmas. ( i must have recently seen “a christmas story” or something) so I decide the normal thing would be to put on this costume and go to the mall, at this point i shouldve realized something is askew, any way a kid runs up and kicks me in the shin. As i am hopping on one foot holding my throbing shin the scean changes to a vast green field and i am hoping around with my hands limp in front of me. I wonder what freud would have to say about that :blush: :huh:

whos freud
sorry i’m not… “with it”

ahah barneys were playing volleyball with me! i was the ball! HOWS THAT FOR STUPID! HAH HAH HAH! Oh they were of the purple -green stomached variety

Hes a fruitcake who tought he could explain all dreams. Oh well maybe he could…

Freud, was a crackpot. He believed everything was always about sex. He’s the “father of psychoanalysis”. Wasn’t Freud also the one the started or popularized the whole couch thing? And the whole dream interpretation thing the others have mentioned.

If you want to know what freud can do to a man, just watch any movie with/by Woody Allen.

Whether we love or hate Sigmund Freud, we all have to admit that he revolutionized the way we can think about ourselves. But i don’t know if that works in his advantage or not. Maybe he was the pre-incarnation of al-Sahaf, cause on of his famous quotes is “America is a mistake, a giant mistake.”

i’d agree that america was a giant mistake but you guys seem to hate him…

LOL…

“so tell me about your mother…” all started with freud…Have you ever had a freudian slit :shy: ooops i mean…Freudian SLIP

As long as were on the subject of stupid dreams, I have a freind who always entertains me (and his/my other freinds) with stories of his crazy dreams. For instance:

He was walking around in his house late at night and his house was very dark (of course). He found his mother and brother cowering on the couch in the living room. They were afraid to touch the floor. He asked them a question, and they responded by looking really concerned, bugging out their eyes, and making odd groaning noises. So he left them on the couch and went to the bathroom. In the bathroom, the 3-D Pinnochio from Shrek came out of an air vent in the ceiling and and said “Ehhhhhh” in a sinister way. He also had a sinister look on his face. Anyway, then my freind’s mom died and became a ghost, so her and her husband had to climb an Aztec temple to get her “byuchess” back, which would bring her back to life. Eventually, they got it. It was in a ladle.

How’s that for stupid? :grin:

stupid? no

deep and confusing yes

does your friend need help?

ask him about his childhood :content:

Richard