a higher something

I always had the feeling that LD’s has a higher meaning like how do i explain this a way 2 learn somethings about life and the afterlife, a way 2 discover what its al about. Anyone knows what im talking about? or has simular ideas plz tell me.

Some people think/hope that it might be possible to reach the state of enlightenment in lucid dream.

I don’t think this is possible since I’ve heard that (supreme) enlightenment can happen only by going to the deepest state of mind, and being lucid isn’t very deep.

Well you forget that going to the deepest states of the mind is also possible through lucid dreaming. And to answer r3dman, the fact alone that you can explore your mind is a very high meaning for me, and who knows what you can reach when you have become a guru in LD? Just behold… :wink:

yeah, i’m with xetrov on this one. i think it’s very possible to attain enlightenment through LDing, in fact, that was what drew it to me to begin with… that and wanting to have sex w/ all my favorite movie stars (i’m still working on that one… one day lucy liu… one day)

but back to the point, i think the possibilities for advancement are limited only to your imagination and patience. and when i am lucid i DEFINITELY feel that i have reached a higher state of consciousness, not the higest… but higher. i think that if i explore it some more i’ll figure out this enlightenment thing eventually. so yeah r3dman… i know exactly what you’re talking about :smile:

I know what your talking about. You can’t put it in words.
I think you can obtain enlightment or inner peace using LD’s. It’s deep and maybe the closest you can get into yourself. I mean you are practically crawling around in your own mind. The only limit is you imagination.

i total agree, i have yet been unable to reach such a state but give me time

Richard

Golly, I didn’t know you can go to NDE - state thru LD. Boy, I must try that.

ok nde, u really want to do that,??? some people say we do that ever night and thats why we can dream others say it is a load of crap. i myself dont know but i have researched nde and i think it is very interesting but a little advice.

dont end up like ur name :content:

Rihard

NDE-state is the state of mind where the enlightenment-experience occures. I don’t believe we go there every night since it is below deep sleep. I don’t want to go there, but I don’t think it can harm you when you do it consciously, or can it?

Since in NDE you don’t have almost any brain activity left, just your awareness and reflexes, could it happen that if you loose that awareness you would die or become braindead? :grin:

i think it could harm you, you may become atached to it, it is ment to be plesent. as for brain dead, cant see why not, some people can kill them selfs by slowing down their heart hence no oxgyen to the brain and dead. but hey this is just my opion, i am not sure.

i read a interesting thing about nde and how we were to promise to forget about time and limited to its style untill we die and we had to promise not to think about it.

well imust have broken that promise a million time :cool:

Richard

Just a question: what do you actually mean with “Enlightenment”? Because you’re all talking here as if reaching Enlightenment is something people can do occasionally when they’re good in LDing. Aren’t you confusing true Enlightenment with some sort of mystical experience? I mean, just look at buddhist monks: they’ve left the materialistic world to become completely devoted to the search for ultimate Enlightenment. And yet, they need almost their entire lives to find it. LDing is only a tool they use in their search, and Enlightenment goes much much further than LDs. It’s pretty hard to put Enlightenment into words if you haven’t “experienced” it yet. Some “definitions” I’ve found on the net:

Enlightenment is the state in which you are permanently free from identification with your ego. This means you are free from the normal compulsion to fantasize continuously about people, situations, and objects. You act and think without feeling like a doer or thinker. You have no anxiety. You usually have no thoughts. There is a profound change in your sense of what “I” means. When these things become habitual and effortless, you are enlightened.

Enlightenment is not a thought nor a feeling. In fact, enlightenment is not an experience at all. When all experiences have disappeared and the mirror of consciousness is left without any content, utterly empty, no object to see, to think about, to feel, when there is no content around you, the pure witness has remained, that is the state of enlightenment.

To the enlightened one, the world as he knew it ceases to be, and everything now stands enmantled (shrouded) by a shining vesture of divine effulgence, hitherto invisible to his normal vision

Enlightenment cannot be expressed in words. Illumination, all-knowing, peace, calm, clarity, wisdom, profound love, and bliss, are words that merely hint at the wonders and absolute fulfilment that enlightenment represents.
Those who follow the Buddha’s teachings experience glimpses of enlightenment through their spiritual practice. Some would explain trying to describe enlightenment to a troubled soul as trying to explain the wonders of a rolling landscape, blue skies and the wind and sun to a child who has lived all his life in a cave. Whatever words you use to describe the scenery, nothing can come close to experiencing it yourself.

I could go on with this… Personally I don’t think you can reach this Enlightenment through LDing only. It takes many many years of very devoted exercises and meditation to reach this kind of enlightened insight.

i think you are forgetting one thing mystic. the monks arnt they looking for the meaning of life really?

i mean enlightenment can mean many things to many people.

i thought it ment understanding totaly.

so that totaly depends in what you want enlightenment on.

ofcourse the meaning ofl ife would take a life of devotion to understanding. but if you are looking for somthing simple like, i want enlightenment on my self. That might only take half your life :content:

cheers

Richard

can’t speak for everyone else, but me personally… i never said enlightenment would happen over night and that it could casually be obtained. just said i believed it possible to achieve it with the help of LDing. i think it takes a LOT of introspection and failures. but if you’re properly focused, i believe it’s possible

I read somewhere that said that enlightment when achieved you do not see yourself as an I. There is no I. It’s hard to explain it like what I read but it’s something like that. I don’t really disagree or agree with it. I’m just posting it because I thought you might like to know.

Heres a nice definition of enlightenment from a Zen book:

“During seated meditation, we practise forgetting ourselves. Satori, or enlightenment as it is called, happens when one forgets himself completelly: you may find yourself in a void of total nothingess, theres not even blackness to describe, no voices, no feelings, no thoughts, no body; all the 5 senses have disappeared and one has arrived to the source of ones own mind. In this state we can see one fact very clearly: this is me, in my purest form of being. Where is the body, the sensations? They form an illusion we call “I” or ego. A buddha is free from this illusion and understands the nature of his mind: there is no need to get angry about anything anymore.”

timeless_soul: the monks aren’t searching for the meaning of life, but a freedom from suffering. This freedom is achieved by understanding why there is suffering, then understanding that it is pointless to suffer for egoistic reasons. This understandment is achieved by understanding the nature of the mind and realizing your “true self”.

dreamwalker: my friend, who has lots of experience in the practise of zen buddhism said, that you do have an “ego” and “I”, even the buddha said “I am awake” when a man asked him “why are you so peaceful?”
He said that after “enlightenment” you still exist as an “I” but it’s changed “I”, it excists in a much larger perspective.

Thats the way I would put it. I don’t think this “supreme enlightenment” can be achieved by LDing.

i was about to ask “why not?” to that comment, but then i remembered that you said this earlier in the thread

so now my question to you is this: why can’t you achieve this “deepest state of mind” from a LD. like what if i became lucid and conjured up a pretty lake and sat down and meditated or something

Sitting in zazen or other seated meditation in LD will either give you different kind of colourful “light shows” or it will brake up the dream and you will wake up because of not being very active in the dream (this depends how high level dream it is). I’ve done it, it was nice watching the lightshow, like being in some trance-state wheres 100% clear hypnacogia :smile:

Just my experiences, don’t know if someone can go to deeper states from LD, but then again, it wouldn’t matter if you do it in waking life or in LD.