Synesthesia

Very interesting. So maybe moth are right: “I see sound…” :smile:

what if he really does… :smile:

Hi hypnodude,

i saw the doc about it to…really nice and interesting!
you have the same thing when you are on lsd or mescaline…
So the network connections are probably still there but in sleepy mode…

Jeff :happy:

Since I am a synesthete (is that the right word?) myself, I am very interested int this. A haven’t really consciously thought about syntesthesia in my dreams, but I’ll really try to see how that works in one of my next LD’s!

Are there more synesthetes on this forum? And are there non-synesthetes who can experience synesthesia in a dream? I really think that is possible, especially if you know what it feels like (maybe from psychedelics use or something)!

JJJ

This mght be interesting to some of you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2003/reith2003_lecture4.shtml
The other lectures are quite good as well.

Yes, sounds really cool
I got a little taste of it when I listened to music and saw pictures after smoking weed.When I had my eyes closed, there were colourfull things (some mandala like) that moved in connection to the music.When I had my eyes open, I saw little flashes of light.
However, I think that could only give me some small impression what real strong synesthesia must be like.

JJJ, I once read an article about it.There was stated that most pepole only have two senses connected, like hearing and seeing, or touching and hearing.
What is it like for you?
How strong is it?

Yes, I also believe it should be possible to have this in a dream.Another thing on my to-do list :wink:

Traumgänger

I have quite strong synesthesia in numbers/letters. Every word or number is composed of different colors. Of course I just see it all black like you do, but in the same time it is very colourful. Very difficult to describe, however (especially if english is not your native language…)

I also experience synesthesia when hearing sounds or music. When listening to music through my earphones, for example, it’s really a bit like a ‘360 degree’-view. Every sound or instrument has a different color and texture, most of the music being played ‘behind my head’.

I also remember leaving my family very astonished, when I drawed the taste of the coffee of that day on a piece of paper. On that drawing, I could precisely state the parts of the taste that made the coffee taste good or bad.

So, that’s it for my synesthesia. The strange thing is that I have always thought this was just normal, until I saw that documentary on dutch television. Now I feel really sad for the rest of the people, because I can’t imagine how boring using your senses would be without synesthesia :wink:

JJJ

I recommend the book “The mind of a mnemonist” by A.R. Lurija (a russian scientist) to all of you who are interested. The book is about a man who could remember anything and everything. He never forgot anything he had learnt. The man was a very powerful synesthate(sp?) too. The book tells very very widely about synesthesia and memory.

Extreeemely interesting, I recommend it to everyone in here.

Thanks jjj, that sounds so cool… would love to have that kind of perception
Does “Traumgänger” has a color, or do you see any letter in it by itself?
Does it work with words from a foreign language the same way as it does in you native?
How about, let´s say japanese letters?

Nice booktip, gotta have a look at it

Traumgänger

Well it happens when i take some hits of realy good weed (like the stuff you can get in Amsterdam :cool_laugh: ), when i listen to music it looks like the music isnt only sounds but i can also visualise the music. At times this isnt realy visualisation but more like a kind of feeling, at other times i experienced real hallucinations that were related to the music i was listening to (for example when u hear water you also see some image of a river or sea).

Actually,I guess I have some synesthesia.Letters have thier own color,colors have thier own gender.I also seem to hear sound when looking at emoticons or avatars that move.

This one :gni: seems to sound like a person going he he over and over again. lol: and :rofl: both have a ha ha sound to them,and :bounce: , :bounce: , and DM7’s avatar sound like person in a sci-fi movie teleporting to somewhere.

Sorry for my late reply, I was on holiday!

“Traumgänger” looks very unsymphathetic. Is has like dark green/camouflage colors, and the structure is very hard. The word also has something porous and warm (the bad type of warm, like drinking warm water). It’s a word you would not like to meet in a dark alley :grin: :wink:
I think words have the colors and structure of the separate letters they are composed from, but some letters are very dominant. I “Traumgänger” doesn’t look like “M”, but it really has things from “g”, “a”, “r” and “u”.

Language doesn’t matter, but japanese letters don’t have strong pictures like western letters do. They do make associations, but just lika any other picture would do.

cu,

JJJ

Wow, that´s amazing
Although it wasn´t my intention to choose such a bad name g

I wonder wether it is the similiar for all synesthets, or if it is more of an individual thing.Perhaps some of both?
I mean, I think most people agree that yellow is lively happy colour.On the other hand, some think it´s beautiful and some don´t like it

Traumgänger

It’s different for all people. Just random connections, nothing universal. Someone can connect “e” to yellow, another one can connect it to blue.

Has anyone here read Alan Moore’s Top Ten comics? One of the characters is called synasnethia, and she’s a synasthete (sp?). Very interesting, but I didn’t realize it happened in real life.

Hey Dreamers,

I guess tasting colors is possible in dreams.

Greets,

Thor

hey. i chose to do a report on synesthesia for my science class. there was a very good article on it in an issue of Scientific American, here’s the link:https://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0003014B-9D06-1E8F-8EA5809EC5880000

Wow I gotta try this stuff in my next lucid dream :grin: Has any1 else???

I think that what you associate with what depends a lot on your upbringing and culture and your experiences… I mean your mind is going to assiciate feelings, colors or tastes with things it has experienced.

I think I might be somewhat of a synaesthete…when I listen to music, I can get very vid images and landscapes in my head, but it’s almost like they’re there, but not…
OH! yeah and there is a really cool trance song by The Thrillseekers called “Synaesthesia”. you should all get ahold of it and listen to it…just because it is so cool:P the dave pearce mix is good too. And you synaesthetes, could you tell us if you have more synaesthesia than usual listening to this song? maybe the thrillseekers designed it to be conducive to synaesthesia?

I don’t know about seeing sound and the like, but I have two siblings with synesthesia, and basically, they just kind of think letters should be certain colors, names are certain colors, clothes are different noises.