Some questions I'm sure you've answered a hundred times b4..

Okay, I saw a book yesterday, “Lucid Dreams: What they are and how to have them” by Dr Harary and Pamela Weintraub.

I have a few questions though…

1 Is it possible that I’ve actually had lucid dreams before? Or perhaps dreams with a tiny bit of lucidity… for example, I’ve been dreaming and suddenly in my mind I think, oh yeah, and I suppose now he’s going to fall over, or wouldn’t it be cool if I found that new book!! and suddenly the guy falls over or I find the book. It doesn’t wake me up, or trigger total control, but is it me exerting control and therefore partly lucid?

2 I get this thing where I can’t run fast enough. The other night I was trying to escape a conspirator trying to kill me and I opened a door which led to descending stairs. Instead of going down the stairs I decided to run through the air, like flying. But it was like trying to run through custard. Last night I had a dream that I was playing cricket with some kids, and while I could catch the ball, I couldn’t for the life of me throw it back! Every bit of throwing strength had left my arm. Is this common, and if so what is it?

3 I often dream that I’m a hero, or saving the day etc. Is this common and what does it represent? Do other people love these dreams as much as me? Can you actually make yourself have these dreams?

4 I always remember at least one or two dreams without trying. Even long before hearing about lucid dreaming. I read that some people don’t even realise they’re having dreams! :} Not to sound conceited at all, but does that mean that I’m more advanced or better able to experience lucidity?

In answering any of these questions, I would be delighted if you’d include any experiences or anecdotes. I love dreams even if they aren’t mine. :happy:

1. Yes, most people have some very low-level “lucid” dreams spontaneously every once in a while. Depends on how you define lucidity. For me lucidity is knowing that one is dreaming. Some have very vivid lucid dreams even without trying.

2. I think this is very common. I’ve had these dreams a lot too, especially when I was younger. I’m trying to run but it’s more like runnin in a pool of tar. Also every time I try to fight someone I just can’t hit them. My arm is lacking strength and very weak.

3. Don’t know. Autosuggestion can be a powerful tool.

4. Well… I’d say it’s possible that you will pick up lucid dreaming faster than someone who has problems with recall.

1. For sure. I had lucid dreams before I realised what they were.

2. I have the same problems. I can only remember ever hit something hard twice (once was in a lucid dream. As an experiment of will power, I kicked a baby as hard as I could. I felt terribly guilty :smile: ), and In my Lucid Dreams I don’t run any more, because I can’t overcome the slowness.

3. I’ve never have dreamt that I was a hero, but it sounds mighty cool! :smile: If you learn how to Lucid dream, you can do it whenever you like.

4. Dream recollection will definately help.

1. Well I had one lucid dream years before I started to practice techniques. It was a beautiful high-lucidity dream, and one of the main reasons I became interested in LDing.
  2. Yes, I have this running-problem too! But it starts to become a lucidity-trigger :cool: , because I’m using the “can’t run”-phenomenon as a dreamsign. I’ve already had some lucid dreams by recognizing this terrible feeling “oh there it is again”.
  3. I never have the hero-dream, and it’s not something I’m striving for.
  4. I have to write down my dreams or my dream recall gets worse. When I have good dream recall, lucidity is never far away even when I’m not practicing any other technique. In my case, good dream recall means tons of prelucid dreams :smile: . But I should have more discipline and practice techniques like Wake-BackToBed-method more often, I know from experience that my LD-frequency would explode right away! Darn laziness :silent: .

Thank you for your replies, they were helpful.

But I do have another question I forgot to mention before.

When having a lucid dream, are you depriving yourself of sleep? Will I wake up and be really tired? I know it’s probably worth the sleep loss if that’s the case, but sometimes you have things to do…

Thanks again.

[/b]

Thank you for your replies, they were helpful.

But I do have another question I forgot to mention before.

When having a lucid dream, are you depriving yourself of sleep? Will I wake up and be really tired? I know it’s probably worth the sleep loss if that’s the case, but sometimes you have things to do…

Thanks again.

Well, some people report they are tired after having lucid dreams but that’s probably because they slept less deeply as usual. For example, people who drink alcohol before going to bed report more LD’s because their sleep is more irregular. Sleeping less deeply = more vivid dreams = more lucid dreams. But they have lucid dreams BECAUSE they slept less deeply and it’s not the other way round, it is not the lucid dream which causes you to have less deep sleep and feeling tired when you wake up! If you sleep normally and naturally and then have lucid dreams, there should be no difference because then it has just the same effect as a normal dream, it’s all REM-sleep with a different state of consciousness. So don’t worry about it :smile: !

:music: Kaldeko, it doesn’t effect your sleep at all, unless your having a bad lucid dream, like your stressed out in the dream trying to control stuff, Usually people have a lot more energy the next day if they have had good dreams, and lucid dreams are definantly good dreams :content: