the Big Webhosting Quest

:neutral:

Seems they didn’t “surpass” really well after all :tongue:

grin brainhacker :grin:

dutch webhost lists + forum with experiences

www.webhosters.nl
www.webhostingtalk.nl

Ha ha ha ha ha! That’s really funny! :grin:

Yeah, some are too expensive for me… I’d like stable company too, but… I am cheap… I’m on tight budget, but I want to get a lot out from a cheap price. You know what I’m saying by the way?

By the way, the more I think about mesopia.com the more I realize that it’s not a good idea to go there because of 98.2% uptime past 5 months. I’d like something that can be up as possible as it can be… 99.9% or something. You know what I’m saying?

So… should we cancel that out of our list?

I checked totalchoicehosting.com/ and it seems to be a good place to start with. Excellent uptime… 99.589% uptime since 1/30/2003… past three months it have been up 100%.

What do you think?

:shrug:

Please help me out! Thanks.

dm7, it sounds very good, for me it doesn’t “feel” good but if it does for you, go ahead :smile:

maybe you could check out the www.webhostingtalk.com forums and read around a bit, there you can also ask hosting questions (eg what about the uptime of totalchoicehosting.com)

Yes I know, otherwise I would also just look for one of the many premiumservices that give you everything for $20 and more /month :wink: . I just look for a compromise: cheap ($7.95/month) and stable. Ipowerweb and Lunarpages seem to be the only ones around that are cheap and established (with a good reputation). I think they can only do this because you have to pay for some of the extra’s (add-on domains, subdomains, more than 1 or 3 mySQL-db’s…) - that’s not funny but it’s the price you pay for stability. Just invest what you need - how many of the extra’s do you really need. If you really need it and can’t pay additional fees - take the risk you’re willing to take.

Not much to do at work, so I’ll continue the search and report my findings :smile: . LOL soon we can start our own site about good and bad hosts :wink: .

BTW found very helpful guidelines on this page:
Judging a Web Host

Did some research on WHT and many people seem to be very positive about this host, especially concerning support:
24hostingnow.com/webhosting.php

This seems to be another cheap + established one besides Ipowerweb and Lunarpages:
powweb.com
Didn’t investigate powweb further, just saw it mentioned on WHT as a big one and saw their forum has 9000+ members :eek:
saw in their faq:

[/edit]

Umm I did some more exploration… I’m a bit lazy because I haven’t checked them in depth like support system, etc… I’m about to give up on my webhosting search. It’s way too hard. LOL!

Here are two links that I found… I’m not sure if it was established like brainhacker is concerned about… I haven’t checked it out.

hosting.mymarkdown.com/
and
colossalhost.com/specials/co … hosts.html (99% uptime a year guarrateed).

What do you think?

I’ll shut up! lol! I feel like I’m on roller coaster! Grrrr! Whoooosh! :wink:

Ok I tested colossalhost.com 's support system (I had to play a bit stupid because I can’t think of good questions to ask lol). Here’s their response…

Dear [My Name]:

When did this company started (established)?

1. What is its
    uptime?

99%

1. How much does a domain addon costs?

$2/month each

1. And is SSL
    really included with the plan?

Shared SSL. URL will look like: asecuresite.com/~yourusername/

Best regards,
ColossalHost.com Sales Staff

Looks like good one to start with! :shrug:
I’m still looking though. I just want to make sure. :grin:

dm7 both of the companies you mentioned only do weekly backups :neutral:

the one brainhacker mentioned 24hostingnow.com sounds good, i have mailed them with some questions, let’s see how they react.

i found out why midphase didn’t accept my credit card, seems i have one they don’t support :neutral:

Oh weekly backups! :sad: I should’ve looked harder. :roll:

Any luck with your search journey? I’m curious.

24hostingnow has very quick reply, they replied within 15 minutes to my mail.
but they only do weekly backups as well (my question) so that’s a no for me.

moved this topic to the lounge…

found another webhost directory:
www.askwebhosting.com

hmm while a weekly backup may not be all that great, the chances of finding a server that has everything you want is slim.

Sometimes you will have to sacrifice things, worst case senario is you have to do manual backups daily.

yes there are things i can sacrifice, but daily backups isn’t one of them :neutral:

but i’m going to find the perfect hosting site for ld4all, i’m sure the one i want exists, i only haven’t found it yet :happy:

i decided to go with hostforweb :smile: :smile:

i’m now in the process of signing up with them. Hope they accept my credit card :grin:

Good choice: active since 2001, cheap, and they give what you need.

However I hope your CPanel will work because I just checked their demo and a screen appeared “License expired” :eek:

:shy: :eh: we will find out in about 60 minutes, then my account will be activated :happy:

i will announce in the news section when the forum will be unavailable due to the move and backups and stuff. First i have to install phpbb over there with all the mods and templates, when i have it running smoothly over there i will close the forum down, do a full backup and restore it on the new server. I keep y’all informed

i’m happy… where is that bouncey smiley? :bounce:

Ah, I’m happy for you. Congrats Q! :smile:

I’m still on the roller coaster. :sad: If you need my help or anything, please let me know… I’m willing to help!

Good luck! :bounce:

Lieve dromen (sweet dreams) :wiske:

:bounce:

setup in 45 minutes!
exellent!

have to wait for 2-3 days until the domain points to my new account

controlpanel works!

yippee

exellent customer support, live online chat, friendly and helpful… I had a question about the transfer of the domain and i could just open a chat with them.

DM7, brainhacker, if you decide to go with hostforweb, please mention “ld4allco” in the ‘how did you find us’/referal field and i will be forever grateful :cool:

now busy transferring files and installing a fresh forum, things like that.