I have just had a fantastic idea

I’ve been thinking about/trying to LD for a while now. To do RCs I have my computer play a certain track from a CD every half hour. Although the RCs don’t seem to have been successful so far, I now associate the music with thinking about reality/dreams etc.

I plan to set my hifi alarm thing in my room to come on at about 7 'o clock (when I’ll be in REM continuously) and play this track quite loudly. With any luck it’ll permeate through into the dream.

Do you think it’ll work? :happy:

Only one way to find out.

Neat idea, I hope it works.

Won’t hurt to experiment! I expect to hear your results soon. :grin: I want to hear all about it!

This is a great method, and one that I’ve been using for several months now. Using external sounds or other sensations actually does have a profound affect on your dreams. If this sound is in some way associated with lucid dreaming or performing an RC, there’s a strong chance it’ll remind you in the dream to take notice of where you are – possibly causing you to become lucid.

Let us know if it works for you.

you could also play that track while surfing through this page and really associate it with LDs. Hope it works!

I’ve heard a lot of people having success with this technique. Just make sure you don’t play the track too loudly or it will wake you up and that is something you don’t want.

Experiment with the volume so that its loud enough for you to hear but not loud enough to rouse you from slumber.

I have a minor problem. The track is only 40 seconds long so I have to spend ages programming my CD player to play it again and again and again. And there’s a limit to how big a program can be. Maybe I ought to choose another track. A nice long one.

Well anyway I tried it last night. I had a dream that I was in my own room playing music by the same artist who did the track in question… I don’t know if that was just becuase the artist was on my mind or because of the trakc playing. Either way, I don’t think I had it on loud enough.

if you have an mp3 cd player you could put a looooot of tracks on there… (same tracks preferably).
When I first started LDing, I made a track that kept repeating ‘Fabian du schläfst, das ist alles nur ein Traum’ starting from a low volume and then getting louder, so I wouldn’t wake up… I just put a couple of hundred copies of that track on the cd and let it play all night…

Oh yeah, and at the beginning of the cd I put some silent tracks, so the message wouldn’t annoy the the fvcking sh1t out of me when going to sleep. :wiske:

Hopefully it’ll work :content: I’m actually going to try something similar, where I look at my hand every so often. I read somewhere that it’ll probably look distorted somehow in the dream, and even if it doesn’t, I’ll associate looking at my hand with asking myself if I’m dreaming.

I think it has a good chance of succeding. Those mp3 players mentioned are good, because when you burn them they only burn data not the length, unlike when you usually burn music they burn the length of tracks. But with these you can have over 300 songs! Im sure you’d be able to get good results with that!

I’ve had accidental success with having music in RL show up in an LD.

I have an alarm clock that has a feature where it will play a sound effect 15 minutes before the buzzer sounds. One time, I’d programmed it to play the “Zen Melody” feature, which is sort of this lilting, melodic, Japanese musical loop.

Anyway, in my LD I’m having a lovely time rolling around on the floor with a very attractive gentleman, and I hear that melody … except I hear it playing from two different sources and slightly out of sync. In my dream, I see the clock and hit the snooze button to turn off the music. Well, one track turns off, but I still hear the melody coming from my clock in RL. Then I think, “Oh, darn. I have to wake up and shut the thing off or it’ll drive me nuts.” Then I woke up. :confused:

All this to say, if the music is timed right, it very well may wind up in your dream. On another occasion, I fell asleep on my couch one afternoon. A high school marching band was practicing about five blocks away from my apartment, and I saw and heard a marching band in my dream. (But failed to become lucid that time.)

I have my cell phone alarm wake me up these days because it’s more pleasant than my clock radio. The other morning I was dreaming and all of a sudden I heard my phone playing Fur Elise. I found my phone in the dream and tried everything I could think of to turn it off. Nothing worked and I didn’t want to remove the battery pack because I would have to reprogram some things so I just had to listen to it over and over again. FINALLY I woke up and realized my real phone was the one making the noise and I turned it off. It never once occurred to me that I might be dreaming, but then again, I don’t use this sort of technique to help with LDs. Good luck with your RCs.

I have my cell phone alarm wake me up these days because it’s more pleasant than my clock radio. The other morning I was dreaming and all of a sudden I heard my phone playing Fur Elise. I found my phone in the dream and tried everything I could think of to turn it off. Nothing worked and I didn’t want to remove the battery pack because I would have to reprogram some things so I just had to listen to it over and over again. FINALLY I woke up and realized my real phone was the one making the noise and I turned it off. It never once occurred to me that I might be dreaming, but then again, I don’t use this sort of technique to help with LDs. Good luck with your RCs.