Coincidences

<<Hubbs wrote:
Fish Balls? is that supposed to be an insult?

How would that be an insult?>>

I LAUGHED OUT LOUD at this side conversation. Not only was the original story funny because… WTH are fish balls!? … but then the confusion and the anger. Ho ho! I must say that was good for a gut chuckle… but seriously guys. Calm down. It was just a misunderstanding.

For an interesting theory about coincidences, try reading The Celestine Prophecy. I don’t claim that the ideas in the book are true in any way but if you want your wonderings about coincidences to be fueled that book might give you some nice ideas about them.

Time to Clarify, alrighty lets start here

(this part made me laugh)

Now to clarify, first i wanted to thank you for responding to this useless topic that i thought was intriguing, the reason why i wanted to thank you,b/c i know how much you dont like using the forum so thanks for taking the time to do so (Chat is the way). Now second, i really have no idea what fish balls are, i didnt think fish had balls, thats why i felt insulted. And this

I just posted that, to figure out WTH are Fish balls, other than that i was intrested about your story. I hope this clears everything up :smile:

I am intrested in that, do you have any links of a website or anything, or is it just a book? :eh:

okay hehe… I have really no idea what it’s called over there, neither not sure if you have it at all. No, its not the balls of a fish… It’s basicly same as meat balls but made of different types of fish which is made into some sort of ball :wink:

sorry for loosing my temper a bit there :bored:

I never knew they had something like that, is it good? :eh: Other than that, you dont need to be sorry, i wasnt bothered by anything, either than that there just words.

So lately the coincidences have stopped, nothing as odd as last month :wink:

:eh: Ihave no idea what happened :grrr: :scream: Can A mod help, please :confused:

:sad:

I never knew they had something like that, is it good? :eh: Other than that, you dont need to be sorry, i wasnt bothered by anything, either than that there just words.

So lately the coincidences have stopped, nothing as odd as last month :wink:

Here’s a pretty good set of coincidences for ya.

Every day this week, I’ve been playing a little game with myself when I get into work in the morning. I open Outlook, and I try to guess how many emails I got since I left the day before.

On Monday, I casually said to myself “Probably 21”. Sure enough, up came the status bar with the text “Receiving message 1 of 21”.

On Tuesday, not thinking twice about my luck on Monday, I said to myself “12”. Again, just then, I got 12 emails. This continued yesterday when I guessed correctly (12 again), and this morning when I guessed 6.

If it happens again tomorrow, it’s going to be one hell of a coincidence. :tongue:

Has anyone ever played a guessing game of ‘Who’s going to get picked next?’ in school.Well once I was sitting next to someone who just said for no apparent reason,"Either you or me is going to be picked next.I hope it’s you,"then I said,"I bet it’s you,"He got picked.Not bad,huh?

After that, I said,"Gage is going to be picked next,"and then he was called on.I think I called out another name,but I missed the third person by one seat,the guy next to me said,“Okay,stop it.Anyways the teacher will answer this question,”

She did.

I’ve had these “coincidences” lots of times. Why, just two days ago I was thinking about the word “Understudy”. I thought about a comic strip I’d seen it in, and for some reason I just kept thinking about it. Later that day, I popped in a VHS to watch a show and one of the very first words that was said was “understudy”.

Another time, I was in our basement and happened to glance over at our book, “The Perfect Storm”. I went upstairs, turned on the TV and within seconds I saw the first preview of The Perfect Storm movie I’d ever seen.

Finally (although I’ve had lots more occurrences), I had a dream that I was taking one of my dogs on a walk in our neighberhood, wearing roller blades, and there was a rabid black snake jumping all around us, going absolutely crazy. Later that week, I was taking one of our dogs on a walk with roller blades on in our neighberhood, when I saw a big black snake lying in the middle of the road. It was alive, but it wasn’t going crazy. Just laying there. I didn’t notice the connection until a few days later. While what happened in real life wasn’t exactly like the dream, you rarely see snakes around here. Especially big ones in the middle of the road.

The old movie you were thinking about is on TV all of a sudden.

Explanation: You had heard it was going to be on but not counsiously paid attention to it. or… You always think of the same movie and sooner or later it will be on :smile:

The one with the dreams that happens in reality is more difficult to explain. Happens to me to once in a while (like this dream where i met this girl on the subway, and 2 years later it happened the same way more or less…) I don’t know maybe it’s just a matter of the number of dreams you have about things you do often and probability. Or perhaps you remember certain dreams and make them happen in reality without really meaning to.

Coincidences always seem amazing because we don’t keep track of everything that doesn’t become one. I mean, you could have thousands of dreams each year, and only a few will actually take place in real life. It might seem like you’ve been blessed with powers beyond our comprehension, but really, it’s just a coincidence. In fact, if you didn’t have at least a few of these coincidental dreams, then you’d be deep in the minority – or you simply don’t ever dream of realistic events that could happen in waking life.

Good Point, but most cases more than normal seem to happen. I figured it was just, myself getting lost in my own predictions, like what was said before, you see something that happens in your life, and the way you react to it, is gonna be the same reaction when the same idea hits. Now when this occurs, dreams or reality sets these stages of thinking, at the time you realize your thinking the same thing you thought once before in your life, that sends examples or dreams that had exist, and thats why its called a coincident. It happens more than it should, but i guess noticing this kind of thing in life keeps me more sharper i guess :bored:

Has anyone ever predicted that the phone was going to ring, and it did? Thats happened to me a few times and it freaks me out now :eek:

Our phone never rings. I’m on the internet too much for that to happen. :grin:

Im at the point of picking up the phone before it rings, and It always freaks the hell out of me, b/c i never know who, and why the hell they are on the telephone line at the time, im expecting a tone or something :happy: .

I had a dream a few weeks ago about my car. It was sitting in my aunts driveway, and it started rumbling around. It started sliding down the driveway and made tire tracks all the way down. It looked really bad. My mom was standing next to me and she said “Your car is F**ked up.” in a very serious tone. So anyways the next day in RL I am driving down the street and my check engine light comes on for the first time ever. I never even dream about my car, and suddenly I have a dream of my car having trouble along with my mom telling me that somethings wrong with my car :eh: I would call that one heck of a coincedence.

Sometimes I get the feeling I’ve had certain conversations before. I’ll be talking to my wife and say “Haven’t we said these same things before?” It’s a strange feeling. I guess that’s more Deja vu than coincidences.

I’m not sure if you would call this a coincidence, more like synchronicity.

A while back, about 2 years ago actually I had this word stuck in my head for days and days. The word was ‘pommel’. I couldn’t get the word out of my head, it was driving me nuts! I figured it was because I was really addicted to online Scrabble and the word would just disappear as the days went on and I had other things in my head.

About a week after it stopped invading my brain my mum started to tell me a dream she had had the previous night. She went on to describe this lady in her dream who was polishing a saddle to put on her horse. My mum asked her what she was doing and the lady mentioned the word pommel to her in some context. While my mum was telling me this dream I got a chill up my spine. She then asked me what the word pommel meant as she didn’t know. I got very freaked out by this and told her…
pommel:
n 1: raised front part of a saddle [syn: saddlebow] 2: an ornament in the shape of a ball on the hilt of a sword or dagger [syn: knob] v : strike with the fist [syn: pummel, biff].
I then tried to boast that I had made her have that dream because it was me who had it in my head first. Of course she though I was talking rubbish! I thought I had conquered the power of mind control or something…accidentaly.

This freaked me out for weeks because I thought I had meditated on the word in my head that much that somehow my mum picked it up and it ended up in her dream. I tried for months to make her do the same thing, I would concentrate for weeks on end on a new word but the ‘synchronicity’ never happened again.

Just a fluke but it spun me a bit.
:content:
Umm, nope…I never said the word out aloud at all during my ‘word stuck in the brain’ days. The only way she could have heard me mention the word would have been if I said it in my sleep…(which I hardly ever talk in my sleep at all) people tell me what they hear me say in my sleep cause they know that I want to know. It doesn’t happen all that often anyway!

Coincidences have been thought of as mysterious and freaky for ages. I dont think that they are at all. Modern science has just started dipping it’s toes into the weird and wonderful world of quantum physics. Among other things, it includes stuff about how two seemingly disconected occurances can be linked, even over millions of miles of empty space. Science is just starting to understand the “OneNess of the universe” that many people have regarded as religious/spiritual rubbish.