WBTB and WILD are more than they need to be

Many of you out there like to wake up early, and read a magazine or something for a good 45 minutes before falling back asleep in hopes of lucid dreaming. I would just like to say that I think it isn’t as good as you think it is. However, if it works for you, then by no means let me offend you. It didn’t work for me, so this is for people like me. For one, that is at least 30 minutes you could have already been lucid dreaming. Second of all, you don’t even need to get up. I’m sure you’ve read something or another about the hypnogogic imagery. If you haven’t, then look it up! So anyway, when you wake up at 4 a.m. or whenever, or if you’re like me and wake up at different times during the night for no real reason, DON’T MOVE!!! Close your eyes, and relax. Although, you really don’t have to. When you wake up, your body has already been asleep for a long period of time thanks to good 'ole REM. If you don’t move, your body will still be asleep, yet your mind will be fully awake. You can exlode right into a dream right before your very eyes. The trick is to remain passive about everything. Just watch the colors form before your eyes, and remain detatched from it. Say to yourself that this is a dream. Never say to yourself that “I will recognize that I am dreaming” as the sub-conscious is a very powerful tool and if you state your goals in a future tense, you may very well keep it in a future tense. After I did this about 5 or 6 times, I found that it worked even better than getting up. I can wake up from a lucid dream, and repeat this at leats 5 or 6 times until my body position becomes so uncomfortable that I force myself to move. Well, hope this helps! :cool_laugh:

Had exactly the same experience yesterday, when i became lucid 3 times in a row - kinda cool don’t you think ? :happy:
And ofcouse: if you have to go to work or something, then staying up for 30-45 minutes wastes about 1/15 of your normal sleep!

I read in a book about a guy named Alan Worsley. He is, suppossedly, (sp) the world’s most experienced lucid dreamer, and said he has used this method up to 9 times to continue a lucid dream. Sounds better than staying awake for 45 minutes 9 times!

Indeed that is true, but the wb2b works for more reasons that just getting lucidity. You see when we awake from a dream our minds can be foggie. There for we are not thinking clearly. So we fall back asleep with the intention of becomming lucid and we do very very quickly because we didnt move. and bam in a dream, but our minds may still be foggie, and there for we lose the intention we wanted or dont stay lucid.

The wb2b idea also works for people who fall asleep slowly. And this way we also get our intention set in out minds. It is true, that by not moving and just falling asleep we enter a dream almost right away. but.

What if you rolled over apon awakening, you most likly lose sp and there for have to relax again.

I have used both methos, the one in which you are talking about and wb2b and wild.

Both are of equal quilty. So no i dont think that they are more than they need 2 be.

Peace

Richard

Killaklown:

That technique has been called “chaining” in the past. For me too it has potentials!

But I think the real value shows if you can have consistent results. Can you?

Thomas

May be a good method if you have hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations, but I never have this kind of hallucinations so I’ll stick with WBTB the old way :wink:

It’s been fairly consistent, only in the terms of wether or not I remember to do it. When I can, it works. I agree with Richard, however, that our minds can be foggie, but I also am one of those people who wake up and have difficulty falling back asleep. Instead of me getting up for 45 minutes, sometime I just lie there for that long unable to fall back asleep. I live in a fairly noisy house as well, but overall I can say it works. Really I can’t use the WBTB method because if I were to get up for that long and read something I would definately NOT be able to go back to sleep for at least 3 hours. I am awake once I am awake, so I have to tire myself out again. How consistent is it for you?

Hey Brainhacker, I just wanted to say that I checked out your website www2.gol.com/users/doubtboy and it was awesome. I saved all of your files so I could read them at a better time. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.

I must say this method has gotten me my first lucid dream in a month, but a very low quality one. In this one I was much stupider than in my other LDs, plus I lost lucidity a while in. Plus I went to the bathroom before settling down again, but that was only a minute. It does work. I’m going to try it again tomorrow. I should have continued chaining, hehe, but I was dedicated to my dream journal for 45 min so I was kinda screwed by the time I wanted to go back to sleep. In short, this method works if you want to gamble with your lucidity.

I know how you feel. Sometimes after I have a lucid dream it’s hard to decide wether to roll over and record everything that has happened, or lie there and chain off of it. Many times if I chain, I can’t remember the first 2 nearly as well as the rest, but I still think it’s worth it. However, recording them is also a great idea because you can see where you might have did something wrong and think of what you should have done to stay in the state longer. Sorry if I sound like I’m lecturing anybody. I just got carried away. :grin:

so, would it be better to open your eyes but remain otherwise motionless or just remain totally motionless?

I haven’t had an ld in months :confused:

and all 3 of them have been short crappy dreams, once I was in a hotel or something… and it ended with me being next to some toilet stalls :eek:

the first time though actually was alright. It was in my house and I looked at a green digital clock IRL. It was red and the numbers started changing.

I actually tried to make something happen too. It didn’t turn out quite right though…

the other was where I was IN Grand Theft Auto 3 :eek:. I started flying, then I remember I was flying into the sea, and then it ended…

bah… I want at least a mildly interesting dream

It just depends on how you or anyone wakes up. Most of the time when you wake up from a dream, at least me anyway, you open your eyes without really thinking about it. If you don’t, then wow… wish I could do it everytime. I’ve maybe woke up twice without ever opening my eyes, but only because I was already lucid and everything started to fade. I started to wake up and realized I could see through my eyelids into my room. Sometimes I’ve managed to actually see my dream with my left eye, and my room with my right eye. If you’ve ever read anything about OBE’s then you may know about the vibrations. Most of the time when I wake from a lucid dream, and remain motionless, I get the vibrations very strongly, and they end up traveling down my whole body. If I’m lucky I just suddenly appear in my dream, otherwise I may be dreaming for a few seconds before realizing that I was just in my bed a few seconds earlier. Hope this helps! Oh speaking of GTA, I’ve had many dreams where I was lucid and flew around the Hunter blowing up cars and stuff. I’ve even driven around a tank and stole cars and had airplanes launched at me. It was amazing. Don’t give up!!!

Not my website, but thanks for the compliment anyway :tongue:

Killa, if wbtb doesnt work that well for you, that doesnt mean at all that the method is ineffective for inducing LD’s in other people. To get a general idea about exactly how amazingly effective it can be, i urge you to read the following article, written by Laberge:

lucidity.com/NL63.RU.Naps.html

This said, it seems clear that some methods do not work at all or work only very average for some people. You realy have to try what fits you best. I tried a bit of WBTB and i have been succesful on occasion. The method you describe which looks a lot like WILD (if not the same) is another very good one and personally i like it also a lot.

Oh wow, this method worked really great for me. This morning I woke up and decided to try it, repeating “this is a dream”… and what seemed like moments later I was back in my previous dream, fully lucid, very cool :smile:

KillaKlown:

I have had good results the times I tried it. Though it’s difficult to remember to not open the eyes or move immediatly upon awakening.

But I think this “Chaining”-technique has great potential. I will try it some more.

Thomas