LDing

I don’t know about this, but I heard that LDing can be dangerous. I don’t really think that, but could it be dangerous in any way?

As far as I know there can be only one major dangerous effect of LDing, but this applies only to totally addicted die-hard LDers. It’s possible that they could use LDing as the ultimate escape from real life. They probably want to stay in the dream world forever. As a result they could become very isolated and perhaps some psychologic behaviour disorders and manias will emerge. They could also start to mix up reality and dreams so ultimately they’ll show signs of schizophrenia or other mental diseases. But I think these kind of effects are extremely rare. I’ve never heard of anyone with these symptoms as an effect of LDing. As long as you’re not obsessed with LDing every second o your life, I wouldn’t start worrying if I were you :smile:
Apart from these extreme cases, scientific research has only come up with highly positive effects (higher creativity, overcoming phobias and so on…).

No bullet-proof, lucid dreaming is not dangerous…a nightmare could be more dangeous to someone with a weak heart!
A ld just means you have waking consciousness while you are dreaming…
ehm what can be dangerous from that perspective?
You always wake up from it! You cant get hurt by having waking consciousness in your dream.
Only danger is addiction, but even then i say…addiction ok…but why dangerous you cant ld the whole day…so ehm for 99.99% of the ppl i would say no problem at all.
Btw i never heared at this forum or any other forum someone who claimed he/she had a dangerous experience from having a ld.

It would be the same statement when someone says dreaming is dangerous! In fact not even that because a nightmare could be a danger to someone with a weak heart and in a ld a fear can be overcome by taking control of the situation in your dream and by the fact u can c it as a dream and not as a real life situation.

Jeff

Okay, thanks for the responses guys. I didn’t think it was, I was just checking lol. But here’s an example of what I heard:

A man that usually runs a mile a day with ease has a lucid dream and in it he sees a bird. He decided to get a shotgun and shoot it. So when he shot it and woke up he felt fine. The next time he ran and for the rest of his life he could only run half a mile, and he found it much more challenging than before. Since he in a way killed a part of himself (the bird represented the ability to run.) What do you guys think of that?

While I do agree it’s possible to change yourself through lucid dreaming, I don’t think the effect is that great. After all, what if you just interpret it differently? What if shooting the bird represents removing a trouble from your life, or an obstacle from your future?

I don’t honestly believe your actions while lucid dreaming could impact your life negatively at all. It’s just like using your imagination while awake (daydreaming), only with much more visual and sensual power at your disposal - nothing more.

The causes for Spontaneous Human Combustion have never been determined, so you can’t rule LDing out. That’s why I always wear fire-proof pajamas. :cheesy:

i think i know the cause. The command while dreaming is:

“Subconscious, please burn me up to a crisp in RL. Thank you very much.”

Well I’m not afraid so I’m just gonna keep the lucid dreaming a commin :content: lol.

The Ironic thing about this is that if LDing is dangerous and you manage to kill yourself, you’ll never be able to tell anyone that it’s dangerous. So LDing could be deadly, but we wouldn’t find that out untill we die.

I don’t think it’s dangerous because, hypnotists tap into your subcontous, and they can’t make you do anything that you would never ever do. That side doesn’t disappear, even when unaware.

If the man killed the bird can’t he just reserect it, or wish the bird alive. I think thats just the placebo affect.

Yeah I don’t see why not. Lol I don’t think it could kill you, but yeah you never know.

Not to scare you or anything. :angel_fly:

I think the date sytem is a bit wacked in this Forum. It recons I posted this in the year 2002, I didn’t join till 2003! :happy:

Technodreamer :cool:

Technodreamer – Yeah, the dates seem a little weird… Every time I log in all the dates change to a ‘1’. That’s all. I have to open a new window and go to the forum again to get the normal dates.

I figure, as long as you only sleep like you normally do, or at least somewhere close, you’re fine. Your body refuses to sleep after a while anyway, so you’re fine, and you can get addicted to anything.
Better to get addicted to Lucid Dreaming where you can have no harm and your body is resting, than to something like paint fumes, eh? :wink:

Here’s what pasQuale said about the date problem:

And here’s the code: