Talking in your sleep

I was sleeping over at a mate’s house last night. And I talked in my sleep, in reply to someone from another room who was talking in their sleep.
To cut it short… We were telling each other we love each other… But we don’t, just stating that… Then apparently it went around the others. So I was pretty embaressed when I found out tonight.

My question is, why do somepeople talk in their sleep and others don’t and is there some way you can stop it?
This is not an isolated incident… I regular chat away in my sleep

Hi
Hmm,my brother used to do this alot when he was young,it stopped some day.If you are younger than ca.15 years you may have a good chance that this will stop from alone.
Sorry,don´t know much about it

Traumgänger

It’s some kind of lack in the sleep paralysis so you are acting out the dream in real life.

that last part about talking on command in LDs is something I would love to experiment with since that would make voicecommanded devices posible to use. for example if you would like to know if you are dreaming in real time you can start a ticking sound with saing “start ticking”. And just think how it would sound like if you are able to record your excitment when your lucid.

It could be the sleep disorder called REM Behavior Disorder (RBD), in which the sleep paralysis doesn’t function properly during REM, and people start to talk and move while dreaming. sleepdisorderchannel.net (you will find the RBD-link on the left side, the link doesn’t function here because of acronym feature)
web.indstate.edu/thcme/anderson/NCR.html
BUT it could also be a non-dangerous variant of sleepwalking, which occurs in non-REM sleep.
Maybe the best way to found out is to record all your dreams and if you see a correlation between the dreams and the talking behavior, then it’s probably RBD.

I wonder in a LD if you can hear yourself snor? Would that wake you up?
I have been able to choose in a LD which arm i wish to move: firstly i moved my real arm then my dream arm. It’s weird having 2 bodies, you know?
And oh yeah i’ve never experienced any type of paralysis-except when i sleep in a funny way (like my arm under me and it cuts of the blood supply) then my arm goes num and i can’t move it. Does this have anything to do with SP? Like the body doesn’t need it’s limbs in sleep so it cuts off the supply of blood a little and we can’t move?

I don’t know this for a fact but it would suprise me very much if the body have the ability to cut of the blod suply to some of your body parts. You know that that is the way they amputates dog tails. And I think you would feel the funny feeling you feel when your blod is comming back, when you wake up in the morning, and you don’t do that.
But it would be nice too since we might not bleed to deth when we cut off our arm :smile: (if it was so)

Hi
I think when you are in SP your body just “cuts” the nerves that give the impulses to move your body,so you don’t hurt yourself while sleeping.Wouldn’t be good for you if the blood stops circling…

Traumgaenger

No, I have read somewhere else, I don’t remember where, but it was on a page about SP on the Internet, that SP is caused of the brain releasing a hormone which makes the body immobile.

I never thought to use it to give myself commands maybe. I should try that.

I am 28 yrs old so I guess growing out of Sleeptalking is not an option. As I said, it’s not the first time this happened. But it still feels embaressing to hear about it.

But I will give that Vocal command thing a try.

Hey,

I never thought (or knew) mysef as a sleep talker, but since I moved to Shanghai for six months, my roommate says that I have woken her up by talking gibberish and even sat up in bed. Whats going on? :smile: :confused:

Also I dreamt that I was looking at this DVD cover in my appartment, but I was sure that it happened in real life. My roommate thought I was going mad as we dont have the DVD that I was looking at in my dream! Crazy. It seemed so real!

:help: :content:

I am sure sleep talking is common thing, main problem is same sleeping time, someone got to stay awake to record this, yes you can record all time you sleep, I think that can be done with computer and to ttrace what you were talking, in case you can remeber the dream if it is connected. I don’t know if someone has done it experimentaly and organized.
Anyway it is a kind of disorder, because while you are sleeping you are kind of paralised, I’ve read that so your tongue too can’t move.
But during the sleep we move from side too side anyway.

I am sure sometimes when very tired I just close my eyes and open them like second between and like in same position, and I can’t remember I was dreaming. But that second is like 9 hours later.

My parents have often told me i talk in my sleep. I talk very loudly, according to them, and i sometimes wake them up. It makes me nervous, y’know, because even I don’t know what i’m saying.

My brother use to talk in his sleep. Usually, he’d call out my name, and when I replied, ‘What the heck do you want?’ he just carried on snoring.

Dunno if he stills does it - his bedroom isn’t near mine any more…

I suppose it could actually be possible to have a conversation with a person who talks in their sleep, whilst they’re asleep. Only, they may not quite make sense (or tell the truth), so it could only really be used for laughs.

i once talked to my friend about a trash can while he was sleeping, he said something about it and i asked him a question…

he was a tiny bit belligerant and crazy in his answers…

I rememeber one time pedro had said something about figuring out how to talk out loud while he was lucid, and recording his voice while he was asleep.

A few months ago Freecube tryed this when i was sleeping over at his house, he was in an extended time lucid dream, and was talking faster tahn normal, it was pretty cool.

But for normal dreams and sleep talking, i used to walk and talk all over the house, never got hurt thankfully, but that has all stopped now, so hopefully it will go away, although it is a great tool to get you family laughing (only problem its at you (for liek a month (and they still bring it up))) :smile:

i might have sleep walked last night

i sure hope so…

I did some funny sleep tallking and walking to bad I don’t remember anything myself. I was in auckland staying at a bed & breakfast place with my sister and some others from my church. I was on the top bunk and climbed down in my sleep and was unlocking and opening the door. My sister initially didn’t know I was sleep walking and asked me what I was doing. I replied “I’m going to put the wheel barrow away.” Then she knew I was sleep walking and told me to go back to bed.

I reply “Ok, If it’s important they’ll ring back in the morning.”

I’m glad I didn’t get out the door. Who knows I might have lost myself in Auckland. But I was surpised I could unlock doors in my sleep. And reply with “intellegent” answers.

I don’t see it as embarassing because I never remember it. If it does worry you just tell anyone that could hear you sleep talk not to tell you. Then you’ll never know. :tongue: