Fear of the Dark

Okay, this is what is stopping me from having OBEs and LDs. To put to simply, I’m scared I’l get sleep paralysis in the dark, and imagine being abducted by aliens, or being sat on by a hagg lady. For example, last night I could have easily achieved a WILD. I got the hypnogogics, and didn’t feel my body. But because it was dark, I was scared of getting SP so I woke myself up. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: .It’s like this every single damn time. And also, now I’m scared to sleep on my back, beacuse I’ve heard if you do i that way the hagg lady will sit on you (Yes, I know it’s all mental, and no one is ever really there, but still. The accounts of some sleep paralysis are horrifying). So…can anyone help me!!! PLEASE I NEED HELP!

Are there any methods which could aide me into not geting hallucinations (such as alien abduction, demons etc) during Sleep Paralysis? PLEASE PEOPLE I NEED HELP!!! Share your experences with me, but if it was a bad one please don’t, it would only exaccerbate by fear. Seriously, I could have had SO MANY OBE’s if I just wasn’t afraid!!!
Thanks, to everyone who helps me, and even to those who don’t (beacuse it’s not their choice according to that damn free-will post which is taking up way too many bytes on the server…ahem). Thanks again!!!

~Ben

P.S.-Has anyone had LDs and OBEs during day hours?

if you’re scared of the dark, leave a light on.

If you can sleep with a light on/during the day, your can LD just the same too.

The light is a good idea, but really, you just need to somehow get to the point where you realize there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. LDs and OBEs are completely safe and natural.

Easier said than done of course, but good luck. :alien:

I know what you mean, when I was small I feared dark so much that I kept eyes open until I fell asleep :eek:

you can try WILD/AP very early in the morning, like 1 hour before light comes out, that way you’ll know when you do WILD there will be a bit of light outside. also leave your curtains down but slightly open. this is what I do all the time, makes the real time zone less…dark and it’s perfect time for WBTB too

I’m scared of the dark too, I have been since I was a kid. I usualy sleep with a little light on so I can turn around and do a “monsterous demon check” every once in a while until I feel comfotable. To this day I’ve never seen one for some reason… :smile:
If you don’t believe in bad spirits and things you could just tell yourself that they aren’t real so there’s nothing to worry about.
If you do believe in them you can maybe do some sort of ritual before bed to protect yourself or make an energy shield around yourself to protect yourself.
If you do believe in them but you don’t really think that you are seeing them for real and just hollusinating then again you can just tell yourself its not real. Eventually it will probalby sink into your mind not to be afriad.

Ah… I’m glad someone feels the same. I’m scared, often, too. I try to tell myself that it’s all in my imagination, but that’s the thing. I have a quite vivid imagination. With or without hypnogogic imagery I could see whatever in the dark. I’ve slept with a light on until I was 14. I still have a deep fear of the ‘big and small’-feeling, which is really a type of OBE-ish feeling, strange perspectives and feeling very weird or small.

I’m trying to let go of my fear, but it’s really difficult. I have to keep telling myself that nothing is wrong. That my room is exactly the same with the light on. That whatever I’m seeing or experiencing, is all in my mind. ^^

Since I’m a natural WILDer (I didn’t know this before), I’ve had many involuntary WILDs/OBEs. Sleep paralysis scared the hell out of me and I tried to wake up. However, now I know what it is, so I’m less afraid. Maybe you should read up on a lot of things, share experiences… you’re not the only one, after all. ^^ Sleeping during the day is also a solution, albeit a temporary one…

I don’t know. Just remember that sleep paralysis isn’t doing you any physical harm. That there’s really nothing to be afraid of. Keep re-assuring yourself and don’t scare yourself with images of old hags or aliens… try to think of happy, peaceful things. :slight_smile:

What helped and helps me still, is a bit of fictional writing, but nevertheless effective for me… it’s the Litany against Fear from the Dune books.
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Maybe I’m just silly, but repeating it to myself helps me when I panic during the night.

Things like hallucinations and sleep paralysis all come from your own mind and body. It’s natural. You could also try keeping a personal item close to you, like a pendant or bracelet, and hold it when you’re afraid, draw courage or faith from it. ^^ It’s no more than a placebo, but if it helps you, it’s good. :3

Good luck. ^^

This used to happen to me when I was small and I know sometimes it is very uncomfortable. Now it only happens in deep meditation and it’s a wonderful feeling. I believe it is a natural feeling when in deeper trance.

hey ben7

:confused: i know all to well how you are feeling

in not out to scare u, but demon and lostsouls etc. do ecist. and they thy to take advages of you then you are weak (slepping), because when you slepp you have not gard against them.

I know this from personnal experrience, i have ha several encounters whit ghost/lostsouls. i tell this was the most terifieng experriences i me life, i was thinking of suicide a none point.

I dont want to get further i to it because it is over now, butt i want to share the thing that helped me get past it, and i think also saved me life.

i had 2 preist over for a talk, and they introduced me to Jesus christ, and ever since then my life have bin very happy and whitout fear. :smile:

i hope the same will happen for you.

Sorry for the spelling.

" butt i want to share" -thats sweet:)
Those are good ideas-light on and trying to obe/ld on the mornings.If the light keeps you awake you could also use a sleeping mask(like they give out on a plane) so you could somehow regulate how much light gets to you.
And remember-theres nothing out there that can hurt you.It just cant,same way like a shadow.It moves and its sometimes scary but its just the shadow.
Dont let your imaginaytion run wild and whats most important- all those demons,devils and crap is just a product of your mind as youre falling asleep.it has got nothing to do with real world-you can be afraid of your boss or girlfriend but not your mind cuz here youre in control:)

I always hallucinate about that kinda stuff. Thinking its real, I became so afraid last night, I slept next to my parents bed, I havent done that since I was like, 5. If any sure way to get over this is proven, PM me.

It has happened to me before. Ever since I remember, I slept with night light on. Actually I slept with TWO night lights on. :bored: I had so many bad experiences with SP, WILD’ing, nightmares, etc. I even hallunicate sometimes… those green eyes… shudders Everytime I get attacked or it seems to become worse, I sleep with a lamp on. It has been that way for so long, then somehow…

I stopped using night light all of a sudden. Now I like my room very dark as in a deep cave. Of course if I got attacked or had a nasty nightmare, I turn on the lamp and fall asleep, but I start to realize that it’s just a trick to trick you into feeling more comfortable. So lately I have been ignoring the urge to turn on the lamp if I had a bad experience. Usually I end up being perfectly fine. I haven’t die yet. :wink:

Now, I basically can sleep in any conditions, fully lit or fully darkness. It doesn’t matter though I rather it to be dark enough so I don’t see light through my eyelids.

Anyways, yes, I do understand completely what you mean. Believe me, I freak out so many times because of darkness and attacks I had. It was a draining experience, yes, but it taught me how to deal with it. Now, I don’t really have this expisode very often anymore and it’s getting less and less severe. Not many people I know of like the darkness either. You’re not alone.

Anyways, sweet dreams! :wink:

I’m really desparate for a girlfriend lately. Send hag lady over to my place would ya? :lol: