Increasing Skills In LD's?

Just wondering, can you increase your real life skills eg. Sports, Martial Arts, Music. In LD’s?, Id imagine that if you practice in an LD it would be like real life, just so long as you don’t do far out stuff that isn’t possible in RL, would you increase your skill as long as you kept it within the bounds of reality in the dream? but then I guess you’d have to have some sort of basic knowledge of the skill your trying to learn in the first place so you could increase it?
Is this making sense? please reply! :cool_laugh:

In EWLD, LaBerge mentions training and practicing skills in LDs. And from reports, people do improve their skills. You’re completely uninhibited and don’t have to fear failing or falling or anything else that you might experience IRL. Because of this, you’re able to perfect your skill/style and the neural-motor connections are also supposedly formed during the process.

What I’m wondering is this: if you are able to do a skill in an LD, shouldn’t you be able to do it IRL? I once had a dream in which I was dancing salsa perfectly (I had seen people do it before). I had never done it IRL but could in the dream because I’d seen it done before. Well, eventually, I started taking lessons and picked it up rather quickly, but I wonder if that has anything to do with dreaming. If you see something done (a skill, fighting style, or whatever), then supposedly your brain could then “know” how to do it. You can do it in a dream. Could you do it IRL if you removed all doubt and simply did it. What do you think?

I really like that idea sage. Your brain needs to be conditioned to perform a certain skill IRL, but perhaps it is possibe for your brain to surpass the need for this conditioning by practicing the skill in the perfect environment of an LD.

This is a neat topic and i have wondered this also.

My opinion is that since your brain is active… you can work it out just like any other muscle… But anything that has to do with real strengh will not be inproved because you dont really lift weights in real life if you do it in a dream. But for instance if you are running track… you wont get bigger leg muscles, you will just improve your form.

mike

what if uh…this is kinda hard to explain, but what if you learned how to LD better in a LD? Like…while you’re lucid dreaming, go to sleep and have another lucid dream, and start pointing out impossible things and maybe that will make you better at noticing you’re dreaming next time you sleep? i dunno just crossed my mind

I also wanna learn perfect pitch if it’s possible…any ideas on how you could do that?

sawka.com/spiritwatch/applic … ming_i.htm

that’s only about sports. if anyone wants to tell me about what i asked about please do

i believe this is one of the most amazing things about lucid dreams. i strongly believe that if someone was in a wheelchair, and through lucid dreaming gained the skills to walk again he would in waking life.

Its a big yes, that u can improve skills, though things like practising martial arts etc, have to also have some Real -World work too, but also doing it in Ld, will make u kinda develop faster than would normally have been the case, . and theres tons more u can do.
here’s a little hint , for ya . well sorta, i mean u must have realized that time in LDs’ ( dreams …period ) run in a different time frame,to teh real world e.g u go to sleep for 10 mins- in real world terms- but but u wake up feeling that u slept for hours, even days. and u can go to sleep for a whole night, and wake up, feeling that u just were asleep for 10 mins. now, supposed u try a way of using that time lapse to your advantage. and for e.g learn to speak a foreign language, or play the guitar etc. with a dream teacher. ofcourse such things may seem like fantasy to most people, but its possible, cuz theres more uses for L.Ds’ than just fun.
It may seem like im just hinting and not giving actual techniques, but thats becuz i want you to do experiment. … and remember that " you are the absolute master of the dream ".

Ahh yes the time difference in dreams. I thought once I read something Labarge wrote saying something like he experienced what felt like 100 years in a mear nights rest.
Imagine the possibilitys! you could perfect a skill in a nights rest! but then trying to slow the feeling of time down in the dream is a problem… Ideas on slowing dream time? :eh:

If you slow down everything else that’s moving in your dream,like DCs, you might convince yourself to slow down dream time just because everything else has stopped.

However I believe that because we’re more consious in LDs our dream time might be very close to the time in the real world.

I would definitely like to find a jazz improv teacher in my LD and just go nuts soloing over a tight band.

But I wonder if it’s possible to improve the art of LDing or meditating within a LD. I’ve gotten better at LDing, but I still can’t induce them at will and I often only end up with low level ones. Also, I haven’t really gotten any major breakthroughs in my meditiation. I could imagine having an amazing meditating experience within a high resolution LD, but I wonder if it’ll become that easy IRL.

Well, I definitely think you could do this in an LD…But I think it’s limited, really.
I footbag. Another term is hackysack, but, eh, that’s not the proper term. That’s not the point. Anyway, footbagging is keeping a beanbag in the air using your feet.
In a dream, gravity is emulated. It isn’t real. If I jump in the air, I float down (Or I suppose, never had an LD. :sad: ). So, if I footbag in a dream, if I go to do it in real life, it’ll be different…Reminds me of when I did it with a balloon and then switched back to a beanbag, it seemed like it was falling like a rock.
Other things, though, I don’t see why not. :happy:
Also, learning a language would be impossible, too - unless you already had all the information in your brain, you’re just making up stuff as you go. Although I suppose you could make your own language! :cheesy:
If you know how to do something, but just need practice, I can see LDs being a great help…
Um, yeah, pointless post with my two cents. :wink:

That wasn’t pointless Nazca :tongue: But if you think about it, the case with footbagging/hackysack could go for a lot of different activities. A lot of things that happen in dreams don’t happen IRL (obviously), and a lot of the time, even when you’re lucid, you don’t really bother to control them. You would have to have a lot of control over your dream to make everything as… normal… as it would be IRL.

Well, that goes for a few activities anyways. Some of them I imagine would be easier than others to practice in an LD. But if you already had a lot of control over your LDs, it wouldn’t be too much of a problem…