Coincidences

Im at the point of picking up the phone before it rings, and It always freaks the hell out of me, b/c i never know who, and why the hell they are on the telephone line at the time, im expecting a tone or something :happy: .

I had a dream a few weeks ago about my car. It was sitting in my aunts driveway, and it started rumbling around. It started sliding down the driveway and made tire tracks all the way down. It looked really bad. My mom was standing next to me and she said “Your car is F**ked up.” in a very serious tone. So anyways the next day in RL I am driving down the street and my check engine light comes on for the first time ever. I never even dream about my car, and suddenly I have a dream of my car having trouble along with my mom telling me that somethings wrong with my car :eh: I would call that one heck of a coincedence.

Sometimes I get the feeling I’ve had certain conversations before. I’ll be talking to my wife and say “Haven’t we said these same things before?” It’s a strange feeling. I guess that’s more Deja vu than coincidences.

I’m not sure if you would call this a coincidence, more like synchronicity.

A while back, about 2 years ago actually I had this word stuck in my head for days and days. The word was ‘pommel’. I couldn’t get the word out of my head, it was driving me nuts! I figured it was because I was really addicted to online Scrabble and the word would just disappear as the days went on and I had other things in my head.

About a week after it stopped invading my brain my mum started to tell me a dream she had had the previous night. She went on to describe this lady in her dream who was polishing a saddle to put on her horse. My mum asked her what she was doing and the lady mentioned the word pommel to her in some context. While my mum was telling me this dream I got a chill up my spine. She then asked me what the word pommel meant as she didn’t know. I got very freaked out by this and told her…
pommel:
n 1: raised front part of a saddle [syn: saddlebow] 2: an ornament in the shape of a ball on the hilt of a sword or dagger [syn: knob] v : strike with the fist [syn: pummel, biff].
I then tried to boast that I had made her have that dream because it was me who had it in my head first. Of course she though I was talking rubbish! I thought I had conquered the power of mind control or something…accidentaly.

This freaked me out for weeks because I thought I had meditated on the word in my head that much that somehow my mum picked it up and it ended up in her dream. I tried for months to make her do the same thing, I would concentrate for weeks on end on a new word but the ‘synchronicity’ never happened again.

Just a fluke but it spun me a bit.
:content:
Umm, nope…I never said the word out aloud at all during my ‘word stuck in the brain’ days. The only way she could have heard me mention the word would have been if I said it in my sleep…(which I hardly ever talk in my sleep at all) people tell me what they hear me say in my sleep cause they know that I want to know. It doesn’t happen all that often anyway!

Coincidences have been thought of as mysterious and freaky for ages. I dont think that they are at all. Modern science has just started dipping it’s toes into the weird and wonderful world of quantum physics. Among other things, it includes stuff about how two seemingly disconected occurances can be linked, even over millions of miles of empty space. Science is just starting to understand the “OneNess of the universe” that many people have regarded as religious/spiritual rubbish.

Wait a minute, did you just say that :woah:

I figure to pop this thread again, since that we are talking about Coincidences and synchronicity, i wanted to know what’s the difference? If there is a difference :eh: I notice once i first started this thread, people dont like the term coincidence, and i never thought to ask untill now :grin: , Sorry if i ruined your thread Raven :tongue:

I too have a lot of Coincidences, sometimes I think, I think I’ll call ‘Bob’ now, and when I pick up the phone, ‘bob’ has just called me and is on the phone :bored: It’s really wierd. Also dreams sometime do this to me too, I see something in a store that I haven’t been to before, and when I go the next day the exact object it there, It’s really weird.

Hi buddies,

just a short thing:

the difference between a coincidence and a synchronicity (C.G. Jung coined that term) is the “meaning” which is fundamental in synchronicities.
If you want some literature on that, search for Carl Gustav Jung and/or Wolfgang Pauli, they developed that theory together.

Raven24

I don’t know about coincidences…I mean, a lot of the time you say “Oh, it’ll be so-and-so next” and it won’t be, and you’ll forget about it, but if you say “Oh, it’ll be so-and-so next” and it IS, then it’ll stick out in your mind…
So I think we guess often enough that every once in a while we get a coincidence.

As for quantum physics, I’m really skeptical about that…The only thing I’ve really heard of in detail is Sherdinger’s Cat, and that’s just stupid. The cat is either dead or alive…

Okay, I wouldn’t call them “coincedences” so much as “predictions”. Have any of you considerd them to be psychic precognition? Like when someone calls you on the phone right when you were about to call them? I’d say you’re unconcoiusly seeing him call before it happens. Or maybe it’s telepathy. I dunno. I have a whole theory as to how this works but it’s long and complicated and involves the Astral Plain.

I agree with Nazca, though. That quantum physics thing is too messed up to be real. That cat thing, how they say if no one can tell if the cat is dead or alive, that’s like saying if a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, it doesn’t make a sound. OF COURSE IT MAKES A SOUND! You know what I’m getting at, here?

Ahh…the thing with the scarab beetle was Jung.
Where the lady came to Jung to talk about her re-occuring dream of a scarab beetle, then out of the blue, one (similar looking) flies into Jungs office through the window just after she had described the weird dreams.

I was just reading that yesterday too. :content:

Let’s hear the prophecy :grin:

Ok, here’s a pretty impressive coincidence. A couple of days ago I was talking to Aydira in this site’s chatroom. She mentioned that she had just drawn a picture of Hubbs, using that photo he submitted in the pics thread as a guide. After finishing the pic, she uploaded it to her site and gave me the link. I had one look at it and immediately assumed I had been given the wrong link. It couldn’t have been right, because I saw that pic 2 or 3 days ago, I was sure of it.

The picture in question consists of Hubbs standing in a Laundromat, with a few brightly colored washing machines in the background, and these large colored circles on the ceiling. Every detail in this pic was so familiar to me, that I insisted that she had given me the wrong link. Aydira made it clear that she had only just completed and scanned the pic, and that the link was correct. Puzzled, I tried to remember where I had last seen it. I regularly visit art galleries such as Elfwood and DeviantArt, so I might have seen something extremely similar on one of those.

The more I thought about it, the more I was sure that it was her pic when I originally saw it. I actually recall looking at it a few days earlier, and knowing at the time that Aydira had drawn it. This is the most bazaar part. While looking over the picture yet again, I had a few flashbacks to what I was doing when I saw it the first time several days before. It was a dream! Several other related dream memories returned while I pondered. I recall Aydira personally giving me the drawing, and I even remember pointing out the strange circles on the ceiling to her at the time. Since we’ve never met in RL, I’m certain this was a dream I had about 4 days ago.

True story.

hmm… I was going to say something in response to a post on page 2, but I forgot… oh well.

Atheist, this sounds really interesting. Did you tell Aydira about it? Sounds like she somehow teleported the pic to you in your dream, maybe… would you mind posting the link to the picture here? I’d like to see it!

Thanks!

We spoke about it directly after she showed me the picture, but at the time I wasn’t entirely sure whether it was just that common feeling of Deja-vu or something more substantial. That’s no to say I believe anything mystical happened, I’m just absolutely sure that it wasn’t confusion on my part. I’m certain it was a dream, but I also don’t discount the possibility that I saw a similar pic earlier, thought that it had a common style to Aydira’s work, and so dreamed that she had drawn it.

The picture is located on Aydira’s website, and I’m not sure if she’d want me posting a link to it here. It is a pic of Hubbs after all, but I just want to be sure that it’s ok before I link it.

That’s a really cool incident or cool coincidence, not only that you made it on this thread, but im apart of the controversy. I just want to ask a couple of questions Atheist:

1. Where you in Mirc. when i asked Aydira to draw me?
  2. When you dreamed of this, did it all take place on the computer or was aydira a DC?

This is a cool incident, i never thought Ld4all would actually cause such a coincidence, very cool :cool:

Thats fine with me :content: , as long as its fine with my Lady [color=violet]Aydira[/color]

Do you know about this yet Aydira??(Im sure you do :shy: )

No, I don’t recall seeing you ask her to draw your picture. I only heard that she was doing this moments before being shown the picture. Although, I do remember her talking about that picture of you several times prior to the incident above. Regardless, the major coincidences here are background theme, spots on ceiling and the fact that it was drawn by Aydira. I mean, why would I just assume the picture would be set in a laundromat? I clearly had to have seen it somewhere :wink:

In the dream she was a DC, and I first saw the picture on paper, supposedly right after she drew it. There were no computers involved.

Aydira knows, I mentioned it right after seeing the pic and we talked about it for a while. I was still trying to remember where I’d seen it, and why the memory was so strong.

Really cool expereince, i like the idea that its apart of the forum.

And I had a part of in it :tongue:

Im just a coinsidence, myself, that atleast what i tell my friend, or i tell him he’s a Glitch :lol:

One more question, did the picutre look as real as it did on the internet? Was it that vivid and real looking??? :eh: That’s really cool if so, and if im not mistaken, you have Donnie Darko Powers :lmao:

It wasn’t a lucid dream, so it’s hard to say how vivid it was. I do strongly recall the spots being the same size and color variation, and there being 3 or 4 washing machines in the background, side-by-side, and of the same unusual color scheme. I hadn’t thought of the dream until a couple of days after, so it’s hard to say how much I’m actually remembering, and how much I’m filling in retrospectively.

Still, those elements of the picture alone, it’s a pretty large coincidence.