Would Dreams or LD make u sleepless??

I’ve always wanted to ask this question. Now here’s my chance and here it goes… Im just wondering if a person who LD’s at night would hav a good night’s sleep?? Would it take away ur chance to hav a good rest?? Personally i’ve had a few LD’s myself which couldn’t last more than 10 secs. But the time im mostly aware im dreaming is when im taking a short nap during lunch break… i can hear the buzzing sounds!! But i just don’t know how to continue it cuz im already aware… Darn! Hopefully u guys/gals can help me out here??

I always wondered that too. I lucid dream a lot and I become very lucid and concious during a dream. Sometimes it feels like it lasts for a long time. So in this case is my body getting normal sleep?? Even during the dream I sometimes think to myself that this can’t be healthy sleep.

Ditto, I have asked myself similar questions. I have come to the conclusion that the answer lies in the question: is the puporse of dreams to proccess information for future use? Either way, we are biologically having a “good night’s sleep” when we LD, but if the answer is “yes”, then it means we are not proccessing information for future use. For example, you might remember writing in your dream journal something extremely similar to an event that happened in your life recently. Perhaps dreams are meant to ponder this event so that if you ever come across a similar situation in the future you are more prepared. In this case, all LDs are doing is keeping you from preparing yourself unconciously for future events. (perhaps even learning to ride a bicycle occurs in children’s dreams) Either way, as I said, biologically we seem to be fine, but perhaps we are slightly handicapping ourselves unconciously!

(power to the concious mind!)

First, I want to say that my theory about dreams is gained through reading scientific stuff about dreaming, pretty much of it comes from the book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming. Well, here it is:

I believe that we dream to process the information we gain though a long day, and that the subconsisous makes dreams just by working on a certain piece of information that is active in the brain. For instance, if you saw a great movie in the evening, the information about the movie will still be active in the brain. It doesn’t have to mean that we are thinking consisous about it, it is just there in the subconsisous. And then we dream about it.
So, I don’t think we dream because the subconsisous is going to tell us “stories”. Dreams just happens like I told, and the reason for that we can learn things of interpreting them, is that in dreams we are much closer to our real selves and subconsisous, so the dreams can learn us a lot about our real selves. It doesn’t mean that killing people in dreams tell that you want to kill people in waking life, but the person you kill, could be one you don’t like very much in waking life.
Therefore, I don’t think that lucid dreaming will interrupt our normal dreaming at all, because the subconsisous is still making the dream when you are LDing. We can see it because of that the settings, people and happening in LDs still are affected by our subconsisous. Actually, if you are into dream interpretation, LDs could be an interesting subject for interprets. You can also use them as a tool for dream interpretation, by asking people in dreams what this and that means.

Well, that is just my teory about dreams and LDs. Hope it sound reasonable :smile:

Well i think that you would only lose a very little amount of sleep

When you dream in REM sleep your brain is a little bit more awake than deep sleep. When you LD your brain is only a little bit more awake than non-lucid dreams, depending on you rlevel of lucidity.

So also considering that you may only have at maximum one or two lucid dreams a night, and the fact that a dream can seem longer in dream time than it is in reality (year long LD in 5 min -exaggeration) i think that it is fine and the enjoyment that you can get out of LD’s won’t let you get cranky over lost sleep.

So, yes, but not much.

Exactly:)

I don’t think that this is the case. First of all, I agree in general with your theories on dreaming and it’s purposes, the only areas I disagree may be in my phrasing of the potentially same theories (eg: I think that dreams in general are meant to process information from previous experiences and “re-live” the experience with slightly different situations and choices made so that our neural topography is strengthened by the “experience” and we essentially are creating our own experiences to learn more about life). However, when you say that our subconcious is still in control when we LD, and therefore we don’t lose any sort of “normal” sleep, I disagree. I think that our concious may not be fully in control, but at least in more control than a normal dream (and I am pretty sure almost everyone here would agree with me when I say that :content: ). So, if we come to the conclusion that the balance of concious to unconcious control of dreams is different in lucid as opposed to normal dreams, than we can also say that our sleep is “different” and potentially interrupted (although I don’t even want to ponder on how it is interrupted!)

Even if LDing causes loss of sleep (which I doubt) you’d have to be incredibly talented to make a serious dent in your sleeppattern.

I wasn’t insinuating that any sort of dent or serious problem would arise from lucid dreaming. I was merely disagreeing with Lucidityx1000 and saying that LD does cause a difference, although minute, in our sleep. It is clearly the case that LDing alone doesn’t make a big dent in our sleep patterns, we all know that because we are living proof.

Im sure your mind and your physical body is getting just as healthy sleep as normal sleeping, this is for two reasons

1. Your body itself is remaining still

2. When you sleep, you always dream, and when you dream you are conscience. In a dream you still make conscience desicions, its just that normally you dont know that you are dreaming. At least I am conscience in my dreams.

So in conclusion all sleep is from my knowledge and experience the same as any other type of sleep

I am assuming that you mean “concious” and not “conscience”. And I don’t understand that you can say you are concious in your dreams. In this case, wouldn’t you always be having lucid dreams?

I completely agree

I can have a long nights sleep and still feel crappy the next day, but when I’ve had a lucid dream, I feel much more energetic and happy the next day than I ever do normally. So I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Sorry about the spelling errors.

Just because I am concious I am certanly not lucid. Unless I am mistaken, lucid means that you are aware that you are dreaming. I most of the time am not aware that I am dreaming, however I do make decisions in my dream, not pre-made by my subconcious.

For example: When talking to a friend in a dream I communicate just as I would if waking. I decide what I want to talk about, not my subconcious.

I dont know about any of you, but my dreams are not like movies. In the sense that I am not just watching myself make decisions, but am making concious decisions.

But then again, I am not a dream expert, nor do I hold a degree in any of the neural sciences

Of course you’re conscious in a normal dream, otherwise you wouldn’t remember the dream when waking up. Consciousness is not something that is simply “on” or “off”, it’s a very very complex and “multi-dimensional” phenomenon.

Strange. I don’t see any reason that we have to say that we are concious during our dreams except for the fact that we are able to become lucid. Even that, however, could be evidence that we are not concious in our dreams (because lucidit normally comes from something that has been practiced to the point that you subconciously recognize that you are dreaming). Like I said in another post, I subscribe to the cemi field theory and I define conciousness as paying attention to neuron firing patterns in your brain and altering them. I define unconciuousness as not paying attention to the neuronal firing, because it is already firing correctly. So, in this sense, conciousness is “on/off”, however, you do have multiple levels of interference with neuronal firing when you are concious. For example, if you are learning to ride a bike you become less and less aware of the neuronal firing required to ride a bike over time because the pattern becomes refined to a point where attention is not required. Hence, I feel that everything that occurs in NLD occurs subconciously, completely. Conversations in NLDs are not examples of concious awarness in a dream.

I think you are missing one point here.
Most dreams take place during relatively short periods of REM.With sleeping 6-8 hrs those REMs are:10 mins,20 mins and 30 mins.Thats it.Lets say you lucky and you had 2 lds 10 mins long each.That does nothing to your freshness after you wake up…at least phisically.
And psychically-i guess it only does good things:)

Of course normal REM is needed to be functioning normally in RL.But i dount your brain would want to work against itself.If its tired it will not give you ld.
Good luck

“So, if we come to the conclusion that the balance of concious to unconcious control of dreams is different in lucid as opposed to normal dreams, than we can also say that our sleep is ‘different’”-(myself, earlier)

I am not trying to say that lucid dreams are prominently physically bad or good for you, I am trying to say that they aren’t the same for you as normal dreams. The original question was: Are they bad or good for you? Or at least that is how I interpreted it. I am only trying to say that I feel the answer is that they are “different” for you, not neccessarily extremely bad or good.