I've Isolated My Developmental Difficulty.

Hey everyone,

After FINALLY being able to have infrequent LD’s for some months (1-year anniversary coming up in 4 months or so), I have managed to isolate the one problem that is keeping me from having high level, full-blown, massive LD’s that go on forever. MILD and RC’s are the methods that get me lucid.

My main problem(s) is/are lucidity loss and/or lack of awareness (i use the and/or because they may just be one problem that I have split into two). My original issue of clarity is gone; dreams are very clear, and come out very detailed. My problem is that whenever I go lucid I can never get fully aware, never wake up entirely mentally, and thus things always lack feeling.

Spinning DOES help me, I believe; by doing so, I manage to stabilize the dream.

But what usually happens is that very quickly after I go lucid, I go to do something to stabilize and control the dream, and to my chagrin either wake up normally or VERY FREQUENTLY have an FA that may or may not trick me. Even after I spin/rub hands/focus in on objects, I still am not totally awake and thus act/do stupid things that keep me from having a full-blown LD. And usually by getting involved in these “stupid things”, I tend to lapse into either rapid lucidity loss or FA/real awakenings.

Can ANYONE advise me to my problem, and how I can fix it? Verbal commands did not work for me when I tried them (“Increase lucidity now” was a failure)…

Sorry, this post is kind of all over the place, but I’m exhausted and trying to pinpoint my problem when it is in reality a multitude of problems. If anyone can please help me, it would be highly appreciated.

It’s a big problem for many beginners and intermediates. What I think you should do (if you remember, I haven’t remembered to do this yet…) is stabilize your dream, and while you are rubbing your hands (can’t think well while spinning…) you recall some real life memories, think of some math problems, and take some time to clear out your head. Rub your hands while doing this. Stabilization alone will only keep you in the dream, they make you much more conscious. Verbal commands don’t work for me, either. Try getting it in your head while doing MILD. If you’ve ever read Atheist’s dream journal, you’ll find that (t)his method of attaining clarity of mind is very effective.

Er, someone will have to help out with my mistakes. I know there are many… probably…

I am so glad someone posted this. I was having the exact same problem but LaBerge never addressed it in Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming so for the past 6 months ive been wasting time. I alway spin and that only keeps my dream going for another 30 seconds or so. I read somewhere about employing basic logic (like math) works in WILDs but I didn’t know you could use it in the dream. I will have to try it out.

Hey I was just wondering. When you said you split into 2. Do you mean two versions of yourself. If so how long ago.

Well, to me the problem seems simple.

First, remember your goal, to awaken in the dream. To be awake (use full intelligence) that part of your mind need to be fully running.

Normally, realizing your dreaming is equal to a spark setting off your logical mind. However I suspect that the fierce practice of mild and RC you have conducted, has conditioned your mind to not set off as great a spark.

You need to think really actively when you do rc, mild, spinning, etc. You need specific associations that will trigger your logical mind…

A questioning nature is more effective when LDing than any ‘technique… Lucid Living that is (almost)…

Thanks, everyone! I’ve already begun to “Reality Test” myself, by questioning what my name is, where I live, and a variety of math problems whenever I RC. I haven’t had an LD yet to test this, but I know habit forming is very important.