When dream techniques fail

Ok, I’m pretty sure this isn’t just me, but I find alot dream techniques don’t work properly, or at least not how they’re meant to. For example, light switches aren’t meant to work in dreams, but for me they work every time. The same goes with clocks, you’re not meant to be able to read the time, but I can read it just like normal. And spinning in your dream when you’re lucid is meant to help make things more clear, or something anyway, but when I do it I just get really dizzy. I could go on, but you get the picture. I know this is probably something to do with the way that my mind, and the fact that my mind is rather screwed up doesn’t help, but is there anything I could do to make these things work better? If not what are the techniques that can’t really fail or very rarely fail anyway? Any help would be much appreciated, as I miss many chances to become lucid simply because of RCs failing.

You could try WILD tek. It requires lot of training but its worth it.

I too have trouble with the some of the techniques you mentioned… however,

Not long ago while trying to have an OBE, I found that I could induce WILD’s almost at will.

For me, WILD’s are much easier to have than DILD’s. Also, I don’t have to do those stupid reality checks to have a WILD.

The technique I use is:

1. Lay in a comfortable position in bed. One in which you won’t be tempted to move from.
  2. Lie completely still. Don’t move at all. Concentrate on your breathing… keep it slow and rythmical.
    Note: It is essential that you don’t move at all… the slightest movement will change your focus back to your body.
  3. After a few minutes, you will feel some tingling in your hands and feet. Keep relaxed. Your skin may begin to itch, which can become painful. Just remain calm and try to think about something else and forget about the pain.
  4. Soon you will begin to feel the tingling all over your body and then, either a spinning sensation or a feeling as if you’re a sinking down into the bed.
  5. Now is the time to either roll out of your body, or just sit up out of it.

This technique takes much patience and the ability to remain calm. It usually takes me at least 10-20 minutes of laying completely motionless to achieve these WILD’s.

I hope this helps…

that sounds like it’s worth a try, i too have had little success with other techniques. just a few questions tho

1. How many hours do u sleep before-hand?

2. How long do u stay awake before u go back to bed?

OK, its getting a bit off-topic now, but how hard to you have to concentrate to stay concious. Because almost every night I meditate to get to sleep, and I do very similar things to what you said, but I always just drift off to sleep so easily, and I think I’d have alot of trouble staying concious.

I have the same problem, Jabbervock. Whenever I try this, I tend to fall asleep pretty quickly. I have found that with practice, I am getting a bit further each time I try now. I tend to drift off a bit, but suddenly I remember what I am trying to achieve - recently I have heard sounds which I know are not real and so I know that I am getting pretty close. I haven’t got all the way into a dream yet, but I’ve had some interesting experiences.
Basically, I think that it is a matter of training your mind to recognise what it happening and you will get there with lots of practice. :smile:

Nowitski41, i was wondering, during the process of being relaxed, should i try to clear my mind? because when i try those methods and try to clear my mind, i fall asleep quick. but if i am jsut supposed to lie still, and maybe think about my day or tv or something random, i might be able to stay up and relaxed. great info though

jiggaben, it is important to clear your mind to keep relaxed. If you follow your thoughts you will soon forget your objective and drift off into sleep without staying conscious.

when a thought comes do not attend to it. Don’ t speculate it and don’t try and hold on to it. But do not try hard to push it away. Just observe like you are someone else looking in on your mind.

I read somewhere it is helpfull to imagine the thoughts floating away on a cloud.

I usually try to repeat an affirmation for a while, (ie. Next time I’m dreaming I will have a lucid dream… or some people count, and say I’m dreaming 1, I’m dreaming 2, I’m dreaming 3, etc.)… then I will try to completely empty my mind and concentrate on my breathing. If I start to feel drowsy, then I will start saying the affirmations again. You must remember to be patient… you can’t force it to happen.

I usually try to have a WILD right when I go to bed. I will tell myself an affirmation to stay lucid and to remember my dreams.

If I’m not successful when I first go to sleep, then I’ll wake up during the night (usually after about 5 hours of sleep), get up, write down my dream if I can remember it, get a glass of water, and try again. It’s usually much easier to have a WILD after a few hours of sleep, because your body is more relaxed.

Last evening, I was very intense on LDs, reading stuff and do RCs all the time. Then, in a dream I just had, I was doing a RC with looking at my hand just in habit. It was several fingers to much, but in stead to accept that it was a dream, like I have always done before, I repeated and manipulated the RC into being negative, only five fingers, because I didn’t want to admit that I was dreaming. But I was doing a RC, even if I wasn’t in doubt that I was dreaming. At least that was a good thing.… I hope it won’t happen again, otherwise I think I have a problem.

I can easily get a spinning and tingling feeling, but how i can become lucid?

Can you tell more details about it? :eh:

Well Wild is not that much about clearing your mind or no thinking.Its more and mainly about using hypnagogics to work for you.And about keeping the fine balance between being awaken and asleep.That may take heaps of time and this makes Wild so hard for some.
Take a look in the topic"Wild Big Topic"
youll find lotsa info there
good luck

I shouldn’t have named this topic dream techniques, cause its not just the techniques, its everything. In a LD the other night I looked at the sky pretty much normal, whereas its meant to look really great, and in that same dream I got really really happy and excited and I didn’t wake up like you’re meant to.

After I get the tingling feeling, I just sit up out of my body if I’m on my back (this is actually a technique for OBE’s, but it works for LD’s as well). If I’m on my stomach I roll to the left or right out of my body. The sensation is exactly the same as if you were lying on your back in real life and sitting up, you feel like you’re using your muscles the same way… you don’t imagine yourself sitting up. This is important because the first time I had a WILD I was trying to imagine myself sitting up and I had given up trying, I sat up out of frustration, looked around the room and saw myself lying on the bed.

Once the tingling or spinning sensation gets more severe… this is when you sit or roll up. When it feels like someone turns up the vibrations, this is when you try to sit up or roll.

PS. Sorry for the lateness of this post… I don’t check this forum much.

That was very quick reply! thx!

when i tried to sit up i really sit up and i wasn´t dreaming!
And when i tried to roll to left or right i almost fall out from my bed. LoL

But i keep trying! :smile:

"I can easily get a spinning and tingling feeling, but how i can become lucid? "
damn i gave a lot to learn that.How one does it???i felt it only few times and everytime ended in lucid dream.All i need is that energy then im fine…is there a way?
thx

I have tried WILD for couple of times and I have Jaskas problem too. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to have that tingling and sinking feeling, sometimes even an hour. It feels warm, theres tingling all around and my heart beats like never before. But always when I stand up, I really stand up and I do reality tests and notice I´m not dreaming. How can I avoid this, it`s getting boring… :neutral:

When you get this sinking feeling… does it feel like you are sinking/dropping through your bed to the floor? When SP sets in, for me, that is what it feels like. I get the tingling and then after 20 or 30 minutes, I feel like someone is pushing down on my chest and then I get the feeling as if I’m sinking into the bed. When I get this sinking feeling, I lose all feeling in my body (Sleep Paralysis).

Sometimes I can step out of my body without getting the sinking feeling… but I’m usually very close to it… either with a heavy pressure on my chest or with high vibrations (sometimes it feels like a muscle spasm).

Also, ask your spirit guide for help or ask for higher guidance… Sometimes if you give up control to someone else, it helps relax your mind and body.

Im sry I havent replied earlier. I have never had that feeling of pressure on chest or someone pushing me down, how can one get it? Could you tell more about that spirit guide, I have no idea what you are talking about… :eh: