Kasper Hauser! Know him? he didn't dream 17 jears!

i dont know if many of you know Kasper Hauser?
He is some guy that was kept isolated the first 17 years of his life. and released to the public 1828. he was kept in a small dark room and had no contact to anything. you find alot of information on google!

so what i found really interesting, is the fact that he didnt remember a dream before released to the world! what do you think was the reason for it? i’ll keep my non-expert opinition for me a while, 'cause i’m interested what you think :tongue:

First I couldn’t find anything except for a movie, which turned out to be based on a true story… you can read all about it here: kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/me/no … auser.html

Where did you find the details about his dreaming habits? This sounds interesting :slight_smile:

Yes I know him but no I didn’t know he didn’t dream for 17 years. I’ve no idea why he couldn’t remember his dreams before he was released. Perhaps he just had a bad dream recall?? :wink: Or perhaps he repressed these memories because of his horrible life conditions and the psychological traumas caused by his situation?

Some time ago I read about another case of these “feral children”. There was a girl named Genie who was found in 1970 somewhere in California. For the first 13 years she had to sit in some crappy made vehicle made by her father so she was unable to move. She had to sit there 24/7. The father hated loud noises, so Genie never heard someone talking until she was 13. Afterwards she was examined for years, but apparently she was unable to dream. I can hardly imagine that but given the truly shocking abuse for all those years, it might be true after all. I’ve no explanation however… perhaps it’s the same as with Kaspar Hauser?

No movement for 13 years? CHILD ABUSE
I’m surprised she didn’t die from not getting any excercise.
Perhaps it’s because the theory about your dreams being a recount of your experience is true, and those dudes had nothing to experience so they didn’t dream? I’m sure you have to have REM, maybe they just didn’t remember it, or all they dreamt of was darkness.

Yes that seems like a good explanation :wink:

The story of Genie is really tragic and heartbreaking and she probably survived by her remarkable resilience. Besides her apparent lack of dreaming, she also showed other strange habits due to her long-life confinement. When they found her she was unable to speak which is quite logical is you know that she hasn’t heard anyone talking for all her life. But over the years she learned a few words.
Here’s an article about her: kccesl.tripod.com/genie.html