Scrunch technique from Usenet

Any info on how long they recommend the “scrunching” stage? :eh:

Hm…This is very interesting. Same question as Sage (?) - How long to scrunch? I think it’s just a moment, because I could feel my eyelids twitching doing it just like that…Hm.

Sounds interesting.
I’ll give it a shot tonight and post my results in the morning.

perhaps this got sth to do with the hypnagogics?
I know that when you give press your eyes softly with your fingers you start to see colours like in HI.Perhaps this is a similiar effect, but additionally it´s relaxing, and this allows you to let the pressure induced colours morph into “real” HI

just my theory, anyway, it sounds good :smile:

Traumgänger

I did another search and found this apparently by the same poster.

"The whole secret behind the instant REM trigger is the “scrunching” which you do with eyes closed.
If I just close one eye then the other, I’m sitting with my eyes shut: no
effect, nothing special.
If I scrunch my right eye tighter then the left, then relax the right, then
the left, THAT triggers the REMs.

HINT: you can “time” or “edit” your REMs: you can actually achieve LONG Eye MOVEMENTS (LEMs!) which I like doing (alot!) Your two eyeballs will kind of “play ping pong” (best way to describe it) as they weave back and forth, right, left, right, left, towards the center, upwards…

A quick scrunch will trigger fast REMs, sometimes “volatile” REMs, as your eyes nearly try to pop your eyelids open.
Medium scrunches work best for long periods of REM activity, not too energetic – enough activity to keep you interested, not so much it pops your eyelids open.
LONG scrunches almost immediately trigger the LEMs – actually, the LEM: it’s one, continuous, Long Eye Movement: it brings both eyes into a long
wavelength. After they “lock upwards” towards your centre
(or whatever you wish to call it), you can “free” your mind to observe the
“movie screen” which has now been fully placed before you.

This is step 3: the “viewing screen”. This is where some folk engage in what they call “hypnogogic images”. There is a bio-medical term for the light you see, but I can’t recall just now what it is. (I’ve forgotten.)

What separates this from “normal” to “something special” is when you
(passively) begin to observe images forming in this mind-light-area.
"

So it’s never an actual LD or normal dream? It’s just lights and shapes moving around because you’ve been screwing with your eyes? :eh:

This sounds interesting… But I have the same question as sage. Does it actually lead to a dream, or is it just like HI with no end…?

We had this topic discussed prevuiously.Heh,sorry again i have no idea but i guess it was even on the old forum and few members tried that…cant remember the effects,they must have been so so.
Im sure pasquale or some of the old members will recall

In response to Traumgänger,
I’m pretty sure what you’re talking about with pressing on your eyelids making colors is unrelated to hypnagogic imagery. I recall reading that this is a sensory crossover. If you close your right eyelid and gently press on it you’ll notice a flash of light from the left eye. Whereas light would normally send an impulse to the optic nerve, pressure is what you’re seeing this time…like a really really mild form if synethesia.

I think the author intended this as an induction to an LD.

I tried it this night when I went to sleep and had a brief dream. I was not lucid however and the memory escaped me immediately. That was strange. I woke up after the dream, too. Only a few minutes had passed if anything.

“4) REMs will kick in rather soon if not immediately thereafter.”
In order to have REM we need to be asleep first.And i just cant see how closing the eyes in this order could help with it.
Maybe the key are the words “rather soon” which would mean sooner than usuall.Ive tried that few times ,while ago with no visible effect(anyways-how do i tell if the REM has started after 90 mins or rather fter 40?)
take care

I tried this last night… When I did the “scrunch” I did see lots of lights, but I think it’s just the same effect that you get whenever you squint your eyes together tight. You know, the thing where you kind of see an outline of whatever you were seeing before you closed your eyes.

That’s what I thought…

I don’t know, Jack. Perhaps you could post on the newsgroup and ask these questions…

Why do you want REM’s anyway?

REM is the part of sleep in which you have (the most profound, according to jeff) dreams. Duh.

I remember this topic. The effects were never really too profound.

then why would you want to make your eyes go back and forth all kinds?

While in REM, that’s what your eyes normally do. If you move your eyeballs left to right in a dream, your eyeballs in real life also move left to right. No idea why your moving eyeballs fast would help you.

If nothing else, it’s good exercise and a great way to burn calories! :wink:

Hmm, I donno, skinny eyeballs with abs don’t really appeal to me… :rofl: