Lucid while awake? Expl. inside

I’ve had only a few lucid dreams, but each time I have noticed a problem. The longest has lasted around 5 minutes, which was also one of my best lucid moments, but regardless of how long it last as soon as I reach lucidity I can feel my eye/eyelids.

I’ll still be asleep and completly emerged in the LD, but I can feel my eyes wanting to open in the real world- The only way for me to stay lucid is try and ignore it, but if i totally ignore it or concentrate on it too much I wake up.

Anyone else have this problem? In one or two of these LD’s my eyes were actually open somewhat and i could see my room and the dream at the same time, fading in and out as my eyes fluttered. That lasted about 10 seconds before I woke up.

BTW this is my first post, glad to meet you all and thanks for the replies.

My suggestion… duct tape! :wink:

I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve never heard of that problem, maybe one of those sleeping masks? Anyways, welcome to the forum, Cheebs, nice to have you! :happy:

i had that happen b4 too. i was in an LD but my eyes were open just a crack and i could see the light and sum parts of my room creeping in and lik boardering my dream vision. it was weird. it only happened once, all i know is i was on my back, thats a better position for staying near awake; going lucid but not staying lucid…i think.

Happens here too sometimes and when I start to wake up from it I just try my best to pay attention to the dream and not my eye. One of my eyes opens up as I enter the dream. Seem to have my best ones when it happens.

This is very familiar to me. Sometimes while lucid I’ll feel my eyes begin to open, and my vision drastically reduces in clarity. Occasionally I just need to stop and wait until it comes back, all the while concentrating intensely on the parts of the world I can still see. It usually indicates that I’m about to wake up for reasons beyond my control.

This is something that’s always bothered me… waking up. Is there some kind of physical limit where you have to wake up? Is there no way to force yourself to stay in REM - or is it that when the ride is over, you have to get off the train? :bored:

I dont know,but in the book “Shadow and the sun-my experiment with lucid dreaming” by Kenneth Kelzer he mentions being aware on many different levels-in a lucid dream AND being aware what is going on in RL at the same time.Maybe you guys are just reaching this point and instead of trying to get rid of those moments you could try to keep awareness on those 2?
just an idea

The same dual state of consciousness is brought about by using the “christos technique” of induction. There’s a thread on it, and stuff on the net if you’re interested. It requires the help of a friend. :neutral:

As far as I know, when your REM period is over it’s the end of the line. You simply can’t prevent yourself from entering deep sleep (where the mind is running too slowly to allow consciousness), so you generally either wake up struggling to hold onto it, or lose the lucidity in favor of deep sleep.

Cheebs. I have the same problem. Well I HAD the same problem. If you are not reaching the end of your REM period yet you are still waking up you should just rub your hands until your skin burns off in the dream(well not literally). I found that for me, when I rub my hands, i dont become incredibly lucid for a good 10-15 seconds. At first when I was rubbing my hands (because I felt my eyelids) i would stop doing it in the process because I didn’t see any immidiate effects. My solution- I had to learn to rub my hands (or spin or yell, basically whatever works for you) like a mad man until my attention was off of my eyes. But what I found was even better, was when Im in my LD, to take it upon myself to prolong the dream even when I didnt have to. I think most people dont start rubbing their hands until the dream begins to fade. So I made it a habbit to rub my hands before the dream begins to fade. I now do it about every 45 seconds. This has helped me big time in lengthening my LDs. Infact, it works and it works and it works. I have not yet reached the point where it doesn’t work. I assume it wouldnt work for the end of the REM period, or someone waking up your RL body. Anyways, the only reason I stop LDing when I do this is because I forget to do it after a while.