"Good sleep" drink

Hi all,

while searching for some tryptophan info, I have found this simple “good sleep” drink recipe:

Theory behind this: milk contains tryptophan. When used in a mix like this, saccharides
from honey and banana accelerate producion of insuline which in turn inhibits other
amino acids from transporting into the brain. This way one can get the most out of
the tryptophan contained in milk. Tryptophan helps to increase (via 5HTP) natural
production of melatonin in a brain and we all know that melatonin is good for sleep
and LD :smile:

Anyway, this seems to be reason why milk and dairy products have some influence
on sleep and dreams. This table contains some high-tryptophan food:

1. turkey meat (See this link)
  2. ostrich meat
  3. human milk
  4. ape milk
  5. homemade cheese from dairy cattle
  6. milk from dairy cattle
  7. cattle/stock meat - beef

Well, have fun with the new lucid dream drink :smile:

jtk

Um… hmmm… 5htp is the precursor to seratonin, which does have something to do with the production of melatonin, but not in the short term. However, the nutmeg contains myristicin and cyanidamide. Cinnamon contains camphor. Both myristicin and cyanidamide are depressants, and camphor is an analgesic. BTW, cyanidamide disallows oxygen from reaching the brain, resulting in death when taken in large enough doses. (ever heard of cyanide?)

5htp stimulates the CNS and increases production of brain level seratonin, which is a ‘happy drug.’ I have found 5htp to be helpful with lucid dreaming.

One other thing, tryptophan is a precursor to lhydroxytryptophan (5htp) which is a precursor to seratonin. So if you just get plain old tryptophan you might be less satisfied than with 5htp.

Thanks Davion for your reply. :smile:
I am not an expert in brain chemistry, I suppose your description is quite correct.
Anyway, I just wanted to share simple recipe with some scientifically
backed explanations. You know, people like myself need to know exactly
why it should be working this way :smile:
I guess that nutmeg and cinnamon are there just to “spice up” the mix with main
ingredients being milk and some simple and complex saccharides. But as
you suggest, it might be better leaving out those “extras”.
And of course pure chemicals might be OK for someone, but this is a stuff
everybody has at home. Not mentioning tryptophan not being available
in the US.

I am glad you shed some more light into the matter, I’ll be sleeping better now :wink:

jtk

I did put that banana milk honey recipe so often at the forum…lol
But after sometime it always needs to be repeated.
Not only melatonin but also serotonin is formed from the tryptophan…and without serotonin you cant fall a sleep easely…melatonin is 4 the percentage of deep sleep at the beginning of your sleep.

Jeff

well! Now I know that if I want to have a good LD I’ll just eat some ostrich and wash it down with some ape milk… yummy… :eh: I’ll try the banana thing though, mixed with milk, that really is good :smile:

Tryptophan is not available in the US, but 5-HTP is. 5-HTP is actually better than plain tryptophan for our purposes. However, it’s hard on the stomach, so if you buy some, make sure it says ‘enteric coated’ on the bottle. That means the capsule is coated and won’t ‘break down’ until the pill leaves the stomach and enters the intestines.

Inidentally, the tryptophan levels in turkey are typically very high when the turkey hasn’t been processed.

Serotonin also is manufactured from carbohydrates. I once had enhanced REM from a baked potato w/butter and sour cream eaten about 1 hour before bedtime. :wink: