People Mock LDing

It’s quite easy if that deck of cards happens to be… the devil!!!

and how does a deck of cards become… the devill!!! ?
maybe if they think that coz of the devil card, but i can’t imagine the devil having the form of a deck of cards :neutral:

then again, im not really a religious person and don’t really have an oppinion on the heaven/hell scene. sorry if there are religious ppl who might not be happy with my views, i cant help it. its how i am :wink:

Seems strange to me that so many would laugh at it. I thought that natural LDing was a fairly common phenomenon…and thus I have always taken it as nothing special to be a natural…but apparently, maybe I should :happy:

Tell me, Timeless_Soul… is “Richard” a popular name at your school?

Because I’m quite the opposite of popular. But uh, people take me as smarter than most of the people in my school, but I have a group of friends that are slightly more intelligent than me that won’t believe me. If I told some of the dumber guys they’d probably take my word for it… well that’s ironic. The smarter ones are the idiots.

Perhaps you could tell these people about the work of Dr Laberge…

Point them to his books or the mp3 interview!

Stephen LaBerge is what you need to mock their ignorance :puh: :wink:

Uh… Dennett believes this? That would be interesting, a guy who writes a book called “consciousness explained” doesn’t even know dreaming is real? :eek:

so true! just say “you dont know what you’re missing” and see what they say :peek:

About a year ago I chose LDs as my subject for a paper for philosophy. I explained both the Western scientific and Eastern spiritual approach (buddhism-hinduism-sufism-taoism together with shamanism and the Dream-time of the aborigines) towards LDing to obtain a global idea of this phenomenon. I figured that a doctor in philosophy would certainly be open-minded enough towards Eastern philosophical ideas but unfortunately I was so naive to actually believe this… He accepted the Western scientific approach but didn’t even bother to read the whole chapter about Eastern spirituality. He said “please stick to the Western scientific orientated approach instead of discussing the esoteric aspects”. I’m sure he believed the second part was only some non-scientific-thus-pure-theoretical esoteric nonsense. One might expect from a philosopher that at least HE would accept that there are more sources of wisdom in this world, other than Western science/philosophy. But noooo, he’s saying that the basic religions of the East (which have about 1.5 billion followers) are only a bunch of esoteric pseudo-realistic theories which should be ignored because they presumably don’t contain much truth if one compares them with our superior Western science which MUST be the only way to approach the Truth. Darn… I was só angry!!

EDIT: I must however say that I know at least of one other doctor in philosophy who in fact is véry open-minded towards Eastern philosophies. I don’t think he’s a believer of them, but at least he accepts them as a great source of wisdom. And that alone makes a big difference. Unfortunately there are way too few academics with his open-minded mentality…

Brainhacker, if you look on this page https://www.geocities.com/xthelurker/skeptic.html it appears to say that Dennett thinks that you don’t dream. He really does think they are all false memories.

After reading this and what mystic just posted I am seriously questioning whether the academics, experts and professors actually have a clue about all these topics. I’ve always heard people say that the experts don’t know anything, but I just thought that was ridiculous. Now I’m not so sure.

I’ve met a pyschotherapist and and a psycologist who didn’t even have a clue about Lucid dreams. The psychotherapist tried to get me examined becuase he thought I was crazy :content: , the psychologist didn’t believe at first until I brought a time life book that had told about scientific evidence of lucid dreams, not she’s gonna start looking into it :cool:

Just go to your libary and find any book about the human mind during sleep and un-consiousness from a reputable source and you’ll find something about lucid dreams usually. Just give them the scientific proof and try to see if they deny it.

What I don’t understand is why people think that LDs are so crazy. They are not, directly, anything that we would call paranormal or supernatural. You can be a complete materialist, yet still accept them and have them. Even if they were it is not as if the entire public is opposed to belief in supernatural phenomena. It is quite strange to me that astrology is largely accepted as genuine, near-death experiences are widely assumed to be real, but LDs are not.

What I don’t understand is why people think that LDs are so crazy. They are not, directly, anything that we would call paranormal or supernatural. You can be a complete materialist, yet still accept them and have them. Even if they were it is not as if the entire public is opposed to belief in supernatural phenomena. It is quite strange to me that astrology is largely accepted as genuine, near-death experiences are widely assumed to be real, but LDs are not.

I don’t get that either, Ms. cleo was ranking in cash with gullible fools, yet if you were to bring lucid dreamings or OBEs to their attention, they would most likely laugh at you. As for astrology, I think it’s becuase most people don’t take them seriously. They probaly see it as something fun like a oujiwa board.

I also think it’s becuase of the christian morals in our nation and scientific look at everything. To most of the christian people I know, they seem to think of anything not normal but taken seriously to be some sort of heretic or witch activity. Plenty of people won’t except the possiblity of anything un-realistic sounding until you show them some proof. My psychologist didn’t believe lucid dreams until I showed her the scieintific proof and my parents didn’t believe it was healthy until a respected 60 yr. psychologist told them otherwise.

People seem to be too cynical towards anything they don’t know. Very few people who are willing to see if something fantasy-sounding is true or even consider it sadly.

hit the nail on the head there sleep. sad isnt it.

as for my name being pop? hell no not here in aussie. i was the only richard at my high school and now at college there is one other richard ( he is a total creep by the way) think i might kill him :smile: it isnt the name it is the person ( i am modest no)

any way tell everybody and if u end up getting locked away look on the bright side. atleast then u will have ages time to practice lucid dreaming :content:

Richard

And here I was thinking everyone had lucid dreams during some point in their life. I never realised some would deny they exist. Once a person has had a high level LD there’s no denying it then, although I’m still coming to terms with HL LD’s that are more intense than RL.

I’ve found that if you talk of lucid dreams, people look at you as if you are crazy or talking about religious/paranormal somethings. On the other hand if you refer to “sex dreams” where you know your dreaming and so you can have sex with anything with little consequence everyone nods there heads and says “yeah I know what you mean. I have them.”

lmfao. it is all in how you say it huh. say if with confidence and you will go far :content:

I shouldn’t have mentioned LD’s to the couple I was talking to from my ex religion. They looked at me like I was a Satan worshiper or something.

It’s odd how anything unknown or simply not understood is automatically associated with… the devil!!! :eek:

It’s a shame, but most people are taught that dreams are meaningless, and to pay little attention to them. Very few people have experienced lucidity since they were 7 or 8, so most of them don’t even remember it. It’s become generally accepted that dreams are uncontrollable, cloudy and easily forgotten. Most people will probably try to tell you that they only dream once every couple of weeks on average. It’s no surprise that all of the above have essentially become true.

Even if people were educated on the topic, many still wouldn’t promote the ability. They’d claim it detracts from their real life, and doesn’t provide anything in return.

they can claim then we can throw it in their face how it does the opp and actally helps our real life. i think we are better off lol