new index layout

1024x768 has been the industry standard for designing software and commercial webpages for at least 3 years. Most of the people I know (granted I belong to a rather technical group) run their systems significantly higher than that still.

I find it hard to believe your system wouldn’t support that resolution, unless it was simply a limitation of your monitor (indicating that it’s at least 7 years old, and should be replaced anyway).

Here’s a tip for anyone reluctant to use 1024 for fear of text becoming too small to read: Go to “View->TextSize>Large” (or whatever the option is called in non-IE browsers). Or, if you’ve got a mouse with a scroll wheel, hold ‘CONTROL’ on the keyboard and move the wheel up and down to change font size. You should then have no problem seeing the text.

If your computer doesn’t allow you to view 1024x768 at 32-bit color, it means that your video card doesn’t have the required 3.1 MB (1024x768x4 (bytes)) of memory to buffer the display. Most people wouldn’t tell the difference between 16 and 32-bit while surfing the web anyway, though.

Not my favorite. I have a 1280 x 1024 Browser and this layout is weird. The new topics are hard to see, same with online people, and its just all weird :cry: I dont really like it.

That’s never worked on this forum for me Atheist. I use IE, and the text size can’t be changed in the lower frame from the method you mention.

I understand you work in the technological field, but not all visitors to a dream forum. It’s just not feasible to suggest people to upgrade when some are lucky to have 1 computer or other means of internet access.

Heh, I replace hardware once it completely dies. Not when a new model is released. :content:

Hmm, you’re right. Damn frames. :smile:

I guess if it’s actually a problem, you can just set the font size in Windows display settings, which applies to everything. I’m assuming there’s an equivilent option for Mac/*nix users.

Anyway, I just jammed my poor system down into 800 for a moment to see how the main page displayed, and it’s not actually that bad. I just assumed it would require excessive scrolling given that it completely fills the screen in 1024. It might just be this browser, but it seems to take your current resolution into account to optimize the display.

Like Q said, suggestions are more useful than just “I don’t like it”. :wink:

I don’t think it’s bad :happy: I love the RC button :grin: I was posative I was dreaming there for a while!

well I like the new style :smile:

I see style has been changed a little again :smile:

Starting to like it better now

Because its more similar to what it was before:)I suggest we keep going in this direction:)

lol

Well i wont move my thumb upwards yet lol :smile:
I think the concept is less clear and has less overview then before.
Plusses are the dream reminder cue witch is fun! :smile:

Maybe visual line harmonisation could give it more or a better balance.

Meaning i dont find it in balance yet. :wink:
But any change needs to sink in also so i wait a few days and judge it again then…lol

Jeff

I agree with Jeff. It makes everything feel more overcrowded than before. I really love the hozitional buttons like it was before it changed. But yes, I do like the RC button. :wink: Perhaps you can work something out. I think the nagivation buttons at the top like it was before is the best. I’m very used to it, but I guess I’ll wait and see. :cool:

I miss the "view new posts since last visit " at top right. If a link for this could be made at bottom of page with the “go to” drop list I would be happy. :wiske:

I go away for just over a day, and come back and the forum has changed.
I’m not still asleep, am I? :content:

Well, I like it more than the old layout (but I am viewing it high res). The reality check button is a great new feature :cool:

Perhaps it would be possible to make it a choice of the user, whether the user wants the new or some form of the old interface… it could be stored in the profile or a cookie perhaps…

thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

i too am not satisfied yet, i thought the left menu would look neat, but you are right, it isn’t yet in harmony (well put into words, jeff)

the new post thing has moved moogle, it is now at the top left. Or did you mean you don’t want it there, you want it back where it was :wink:

i’m putting all your suggestions into consideration.

DA you are right, i don’t want the forum just to look great in higher resolutions, but 800 x 600 also. 640 x 480 even. (in 640 x 480 the index screen must look horrible!)

You are right RF, i do have a vision for the entire site, but i don’t know how to go about it, it will be an amazing amount of work… and then it is finished and i will hear jack say: i liked the winged guy better than this nifty new navigation bar :cry:

I like it, everything is always on tops anyways, it works just fine for me, I’m used to change :content:

“… and then it is finished and i will hear jack say: i liked the winged guy better than this nifty new navigation bar cry”

ahh,hehe thats unfair:)I admit i talk about my tastes but i allways agree on the end to what the boss says:)

Anyways i thought about another thing…tho it might be silly or im missing the point here,but its the idea and ill share:)
You know how there are skins for browsers?Pasquale says its huge amount of time and work to make a new vision appear and i can imagine that.So i thought maybe instead we could get a skins?On the other hand its your place Pas and i think you rather have it your way(which so far was excellent and all improvements turned to be perfect),so i dont know.
Good luck and dont worry bout those wingers:)

jack :smile:

well, there are different templates and such for phpbb, but none i like.
And what i do is change the template actually, so it is quite easy to do.

For the forum alone, i mean.

for the rest of the site that is a whole different story.

the way it looks now. With the winged guy, and the mirrors and the navigation, etc, took me a year to complete. From scratch to the way it looks now.

I’m thinking of going xoops or phpnuke or portal software like that, and build the site around that. That would save a lot of work in the end.

One thing i know already, the new design will not have frames.

For the rest, it is still some sketches from my dream. It always takes me around a year to come from dream to reality :smile:

On the side…its amazing Pasquale.Im really impressed by your passion to it.I bet it must be taking a lot of time just to manage the site,not mentioning answering to our mumblings and such.
But thats why this site looks the way it looks-cuz you interested and passionate about dreams and lding.Additionally you have some wild computer skills cuz i hardly understood few words from the post above:)
I might be complimenting you a lot last days but its just joy from belonging to the site which is run by person so devoted to what she does:)
take care:)

thanks jack :flower: