The big Reality Check Topic

Its hard to use logic if one is used to strange things when normal awake. I have experienced alot of “weird” and unexplained things in my normal life. For me its not strange when things gets weird, i cant judge the experience by logic, as it doesent apply.

I gues for some that doesent experience these things in normal awaken state, its much easier to realize the dreaming state?

I think the “Do a reality check when things get wierd in reality” method is a very effective way of getting LD’s. It takes a while (at least a month) before it starts working though. WHen i was really into LDing a few years ago (i now have a renewed interested) these sort of reality checks really worked well. I would just be dreaming and it would cross my mind - “hmm, a ufo in the sky, this is pretty wierd, maybe I’m dreaming”

A very effective reality check I find is jumping in the air. If you are dreaming - you will float back down to the ground. This one is hard to do often though - people might think you are strange for jumping up in the air for no apparent reason.

Like what CloudSurfer said, you have to really question whether or not you are dreaming in reality, not just ask the question to your self. That is why routinely doing reality checks is not going to work - eg doing a RC every time you walk throught he door. It might become a habit, but like most habits, they work on a subconscious level so you won’t be consciously asking the question any more.

My problem is - nothing wierd ever seems to happen at the moment! so i never get to try reality checks. Also, when something strange does happen in reality, it is very hard to remember to do a RC because you are so engrossed in the moment.

Did anyone here do a reality check when they saw the Twin Towers fall on the news?

I also think that the RC-when-something-weird-happens and lucid living methods are great :cool_laugh: I wasn’t into LDing the september 11., but I am sure I would be, because I was extremely messed up and had hard for believeing that it was reality when I saw about it on the TV and realised what had happend.

Yeah, I did a few hundred reality checks that day, mainly by looking twice at the television. :content:

recapnow, i see what you’re saying

i guess it would be better for someone who, in reality, was constantly in the same enviroment (like at home, work) so whenever they went some where they just do a RC as it will be strange to their normal surroundings.

I realize i must start to use actual RC, i think i wanted thoose weird moments in real life to be unquestioned, therefore i didnt want to belive i was dreaming. eh… well, i gues my LD will emprove now :wink:

I remeber a strange experience after one of my first LD after everything started to stay solid, and never faded. I remember taking a shower in the morning, standing there staring at my hands and looking around in the bathroom. Everything looked stable as in my last LD. And i had real fear, cause i didnt know if i was dreaming (i wasnt, i was awake taking a “real shower”) and i didnt know hoe to “know” i was dreaming. This was realy scary, and i could think of anything. Well… i started to think about the possibility of throwning my self out the window to test if i could fly… but… what if i wasnt dreaming? i would “splat” on the ground!

Thankfully i now “belive” i can tell if im dreaming or not, when im actually NOT dreaming. And i dont realy have to test jumping out of the building :wink:

Now after the latest testing in LD i only need to trust the chilles/tingels when i look at my hands. It works for me. Therefor i can take up the old habbit of looking at my hands now and then (in real-life)without being afraid that it would be a habbit with no effect in dreaming.

Its easy. In dreaming i get the chilles/tingels when i look at my hands. I dont get that fealing in real-life.

Dude, if you wake up not sure if your not in reality, take advantgae of it!(im sure you have and your at the next stage) I f your bored of what you have become or what you have discovered, try to go beyond regcontion. If you can accomplish this gives us news back in reality and tell us how it is on the other side. Reason y , becasue i like to visit it time to time. I might seem misplaced in the conversation, becasue i just read the top box, so sorry if this is useless!

My problem with reality checks is that I start to ignore them in my dream. I try to read text in my dream and it does change. But then I think oh I just need glasses. I even have dreams that I am talking about Lucid dreams with my dream characters. But the dream itself doesn’t turn Lucid.

Lately I will notice strange clues in my dream. It seems my dream itself is trying to let me know. Like I will see a donkey fly off of a telephone pole. Knowing this is totally impossible I will spend the rest of the dream asking my dream characters how this is possible and they always ignore the question. But these starange dream clues usually trigger partial Lucid dreams. The reality checks even when done in the dream usually don’t trigger them…

Hello:)
I dont wanna sound like i know everything but reading your posts one thing comes to mind.Very important thing actually.

You are mixing two things here-one is Mild method which is not so associated with reality checks.(its spending 3 or 4 times a day on concentrating i.e on your hands and imagining they are your dream hands).
Reality checks are something different if used as constant method.For experienced ld-ers they are help in telling wheter its a dream or not and usually everyone has his favourite one.
But what you saying here is getting reality checks to “remind” you it might be dream.It is different.
For all who just start with RcS- its not that important how u do them but When you do them.Here is the right combo:
1.keep a dream diary.
2.after 2-3 weeks when u write 1-3 dreams a night go back through the diary.Find common patterns-anything-things,ppl,emotions…whatever is repetative.Those are called dream signs.
3.Write them down
4.do a reality check everytime you encounter your dreram sign(i.e its a bus-then u do RC everytime u on the bus)
5.Make a statement in your head few times a day"next time im on the bus ill recognize im dreaming"
6.do RCs thoughtfully-dont just state"no its not a dream i sure"cuz youll be fooled 100000 times.CHECK IT!.Holding your breath or sticking your finger through other hands palm are good ones rarely failing.

Someone wrote"Thankfully i now "belive" i can tell if im dreaming or not, when im actually NOT dreaming. And i dont realy have to test jumping out of the building "

Hehe…like i said-firstly its not reality checking when you just think you`re not dreaming for a while.Youd be just wasting your time.Secondly-you need to get your mind really working when you do it.Thats why there are activities involved:)
Good luck.

ps.maybe moderator could copy it to “big rcs topic”,i guess i saw similar questions there:)

Last night I did a RC in a dream but it did’nt work, I always think it’s reality whatever weird things happen. What to do if RC’s does’nt work? :eh:

I’m just a beginner when it comes to LDing (i’ve never actually had a LD). I’m having trouble remembering my dreams, they usually come back to me during the day in bits and pieces and I never have a chance to write it down.

Anyways, I do RCs all the time, and I do think they become habit. The one dream that I actually came close to a LD was when I realized hey that was really strange, so I must be dreaming! But by that time I was already waking up. :grrr: I didn’t realize I was dreaming because of a RC, I realized I was dreaming just because I have really strange dreams. Should I keep going with the RCs??? Any advice from experience???

Thanks

I have an unrelated question.

I have been attempting to do RCs with an extremely high frequency (cheating on LL, basically) by doing an RC whenever I walk through a door. I can’t do it more than 30% of the time though! (approximately, of course :content: ) I am having trouble RCing whenever I do something that happens very often. What do you people reccomend?

In my dreams, most of my experiences, I am in a state of movement. Running, walking, talking. While not dreaming I noticed I was not doing reality checks when I’m was moving, I was most of the time standing still when doing my reality checks.

So recently I started incorporating reality checks when I’m working, lifting, etc… Noticing to do reality checks more when I’m moving. Also I do slow my pace and think about my reality checking, when I now reality check. I am hoping this will carry over into my dreams as to where when I reality check in my dreams I will slow my pace (in my dreams) and concentrate more on my Reality Check, notice my enviroment more and more.

The whole movement in dreams I imagine is associated with LaBergs SPINNING technique, of course you are more involved in your dream if you are moving, atleast this is my case, I’m usually moving in my dreams. I have had some dreams where I have been asleeep or sitting, and these were strange dreams, things would shift and not be consistent.

I have noticed I am more aware in my dreams as of late. Definately questioning more in my dreams, and reality.

I like some of the previous postings on RC’s of counting fingers, and also sticking your finger through your other hands palm. I have started to incorporate them already. Anymore little tricks out there?

Hey all.

I was just about to comment on he apparent confusion between RCs and the MILD technique. Then I noticed Jack had already done so, but I still feel I should stress it a little more.

Reality Checks are something you do in real life, which hopefully you will do automatically when dreaming. On that level, it’s easy to see how they might be confused with the MILD method, in that they both require you to make a sudden realization while you are dreaming.

However, the RC itself is not something you practise in order to recognise certain situations in dreams. They are simply a test to determine if you are dreaming right now or not. Because of this, I think people seem to try to do them as often as possible in RL, but never put as much effort into each one as is required.

When doing a RC (Whichever one you want, they all work) you need to make sure you try to put your mind in a situation where you MAY be dreaming, then try to proove that you aren’t. Most people don’t do that in RL because they already know they’re awake.

Just keep in mind, the idea behind a RC is to train your mind to perform these checks whenever you think of it. If you do them absent minded, even if you perform one in a dream you probably wouldn’t be putting any real effort into it, and you may not think anything of the result.

The whole point behind reality checks is this: if you keep doing them at specific times then eventually it will happen while you’re dreaming and hopefully you will be able to test yourself lucid.

I think the key way to make reality checks work lies in Jacks little steps here…

[color=darkred]
A few nights ago, I wasn’t really sure if i was sleeping or not, so I wanted to make sure. (I should just keep in mind that if I’m not sure whether I’m dreaming or not, I AM dreaming).
But in my dream I didn’t remember that, so I decided to do a test.

1. The first thing that came to my mind was the thing characters do in cartoons to make sure if they’re really awake: you pinch yourslef, and if you feel it, you’re awake. I figured if I won’t feel anything I’m dreaming. So I pinched myself! And of course… I felt it! ;-D Then I remembered how stupid that was! If for example a lion bites my leg in a dream, I always feel it…
  2. The second thing that came to my mind was to look around and see how clear is the picture. Cause dreams are never perfectly clear. But this one was. So I thought, I must be awake… But still I wasn’t sure.
  3. Next thing. I remembered that sometimes in dreams I say something completely stupid that makes absolutely no sence, but in a dream it’s completely logical. That one worked. So I knew I was dreaming! :wiske:
    [/color]

recapnow:

I’d feel proud to be able to ‘see within the fabric of reality’, and then again this is very debatable concerning sanity vs. belief etc. and its also off topic.

I sometimes use RCs when I actually fear it may be a dream even though I know I’m awake. Every time I get out of bed after sleeping, I do a RC to see if its a FA, and believe me FA’s and real awakenings don’t differ much.

RCs should be used as a combo with some other method, as some already mentioned. They do work especially when beeing critical, and in dreams where I’m scheptical I really am critical.

The best RC is jumping! (for me anyway) No question about it if you jump in a dream you will feel the classic ‘whoo’ and how the gravity is very low. My two cents. :bored:

Good Nutella iam 4 those kind of rc’s to…not looking 4 truth just looking for the experience that cant happen in real…thats way better…i always walk over water or walk trough walls…then i know oops this is a dream its not real…yo yo iam lucid…

Well, Jeff walking on water can be a bit risky :blush:
What if you’re awake? Jumping you can do every where to, might look strange but who cares.