Risks involved with taking Laughing Gas

Jeff gives Reality.Failure a hug :smile:
MM i understand :wink:

Caution and info are always first things with everything
related to drugs.

Jeff

Gosh I say the MOST obvious thing and everyone says “oh yeah, that’s really important, don’t forget that…”

I find most articles about drugs to be heavily biased to either side- drug advocates/drug opposers…

My only experiences with with nitrous oxide were induced with cans of whipped cream. Ok so i was desperate. . . Ok so a few things. First, you probalby shouldn’t do what I did, get nitrous from a better source. About health risks and such, nitrous, when used alot, depletes the vitamin b12 (or some vitamin?) in your body that is important for keeping your nerves functioning correctly. People who use nitrous way to much report that their fingertips and extremeties become numb. I also read a report that dissasociatives cause holes to appear in your brain over time. DXM (in caugh medicine) was the main focus of it, but it mentioned that nitrous is a dissasociative (although very light, and is pretty difficult to actually use it enough to cause problems). Well, there you go.

As always, the only place to look for information on this kind of thing is the vaults of erowid.

Nitrous

agree :\ Hard to find proper information

As i said, i know that it can kill you instantly if you breathe from a big container of gas. That has happened to people (is rumored to have). I don’t know anything about the long term effects, except that i have never heard of any.

That page about not taking it did not contain any information, and was generally aimed at prevening buthane use. Buthane is extremely dangerous. May also kill you instantly but after a much smaller dose, and not just from lack of oxygen. Same goes for all similar gases like gasoline or glue. The anti-drug people probably think you will move on to buthane (and kill yourself) once you are bored with laughing gas.

But if you guys don’t want “adult-only” discussions here i think you should delete threads like this. I don’t believe in the idea that open and honest information will keep people or teenagers from using drugs. The more you hear about something the less dangerous it seems…

If you want to hear bisased opinions, start a debate.
If you want balanced facts and opinions, look for yourself. Check the net there’s loads out there, you’ve just got to know where to look. I’d suggest you started with the link I gave previously

Killed instantly? I don’t know about that. Every case of death caused by nitrous that I’ve heard of was from geniuses doing things like wrapping nitrous filled trash bags around their heads, or breathing it in directly from a tank, which can push the nitrous out at a very high pressure and therefore basically putting a hole in your lung if it’s strong enough.

Another thing that causes a majority of N2O related deaths is people that get gas masks connected to a big tank of nitrous. They’ll attach it to their face and just keep breathing pure N2O. Since it has no oxygen in it, within a few minutes they not only have a low level of oxygen in their blood, they can’t coordinate their hands to remove the mask even if they wanted to due to the effect of the gas. Of course, they don’t even realize they need to breathe real air, due as well to the gas… :tongue: They pass out, meep breathing oxygen-free gas, pass out and die. the mask they give you at the dentist supplies between a 50-50 and 80-20 N2O-O2 mix. basically the cardinal rule is don’t attach anything to your face. balloons are the safest in this respect.

I have to agree with the previous post reccomending erowid.

and most of all, be informed, be careful.

That is what i mean by getting killed instantly. Of course, in reality it takes at least 5 minutes to actually die from lack of oxygen.

Well most ppl cant afford such a big container with n2o or can get such a container…Most ppl here at parties (illegal houseparties) breathe it from a prefilled small balloon…then the gass isnt cold and it isnt to much to die from also when you relax to much the balloon will get get free from your grib and fly away. I never heard so far with such balloons something went wrong.

Jeff

Yup,while i was in Australia and worked in a club there i saw it goin on everynight.As a decorations we used those ballons which were constantly taken down by our fun loving guests and used as “look how funny i am” tools:)
Even tho they were all drunk,stoned and god knows what else it all looked to me like quite innocent fun:)
take care

I don’t know if this has been said yet, but Erowid.org has the best statement I’ve ever read on laughing gas. open ANY experience report and look at the paragraph erowid put at the top of the report. To summarize: There is no way to separate inhalant use from brain damage and organ damage.

If that is harmless, then I voted for Bill Clinton. Both times.

If it is really horrible, why would dentists be giving it out all the time? :eh:

uhm. … it doesn’t say that on top of the nitrous reports.

Good point Sage!

Jeff

Ah good point Sage… I agree with Jeff. Anyways, I never have been under laughing gas before though because my dentist doesn’t believe in laughing gas so I suffer the pain. Ha ha ha. :wink: Not really… it’s not as bad as I thought.

Oh well. I think it’s ok if you’re very careful with it and as long as you know what you’re doing. :shrug:

As far as I am informed, there are two dangers involved with N2O. These are the vitamin B12 deficiency and lack of oxygen. The vitamin b12 deficiency can be prevented by taking supplements or just restricting your use to no more than about 5 hits a day. I was doing 10-20 hits a day and by about the 10th day when I would have a hit I would get shooting pains up my sides in my arms and I would get headaches. This is when I knew I was getting nerve damage. There was a guy in the newspaper her who was doing 100 a day and he became paralysed(no, not from laughing). If you take a breath inbetween each breath of nitrous you won’t get any lack of oxygen.
In my opinion Nitrous Oxide is the safest drug. I have taken alot of Drugs.

Wow… Inhalants oh what a topic… I used to do them all the time. Never did nitrous oxide, mostly huffed things like butane gas found in air freshener cans or lighter refil cannisters. Very dangerous shit really. I use to smoke marijuana prior to doing inhalants. The effect I got was outer body, the hallucinations were insanly euphoric. Really addicting shit though.

I wouldn’t think nitrous would be much different, I believe most inhalants are pretty much the same, some just stronger than others. The reason inhalants make you high has to do with the somestance being volatile at room temperature, meaning that anything that can turn into a vapor at room temperature can make you high. This is why sniffing gasonline and glue give you the same high but are totaly different substances. The main danger is with inhalants is that if someone comes up behind you and surprises you or something, you can die instantly. Your heart stops beating. It has something to do with the startle reflex and whats going on in your brain with the inhalants.

I don’t really reccomend doing inhalants like air fresheners and gas and stuff but nitrous oxide is probably quite more refined… Don’t do it to much though, the shit about the nerve damage is true. I quit doing inhalants after it began to make my fingers and toes numb. After a year they still dont have much feeling… Really bad shit guys, take ecstacy instead your 500x less likely to die. I believe out of the millions of peoplethat take xtc each year only like 20 will die.

I don’t know about the dangers of the stuff (nitrous) but the last tme I was at the dentist, I was given nitrous, (the mask over my nose) at first I wasn’t feeling much from it, then the dentist turned it up to what he said was the highest he was allowed to put it, and left the room… came back a while later, did the work, and I left… I got out to my car, saw my parking ticket, looked at my watch, and realized that I had been breathing the stuff for 4 hours!! :happy: - felt like 20-30 minutes! HA!