Nightmares WHY!

Yesterday I had a horrible dream that I can not repeat verbatim in this forum. It was not a violent dream but it was a VERY VERY GROSS. And I was in this dream as a third person. I was not participating in this dream, just watching. Imagine being taken to a movie theater with a HIGH DEFINITION picture and sound, being strapped into a chair in the front row, your eyelids forced open, and forced to watch something that absolutly makes your stomach turn! I had no idea that my brain could produce something so nasty and so vividly. I am not that twisted! Where do these images come from and do they reflect something that has been churning away in my subconcious? The ONLY thing that I think could possible cause me to dream like that is I went to bed with a really bad upset stomach. Geeez I hope I am spared those types of dreams in the future. Any more of those and I will be looking for a shrink!

Whoa, sound like a very disturbing nightmare. :crying: Maybe you’re learning something from it or maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something that you have been ignoring for so long? Just a thought…

By the way, yeah I would undersatnd if I was to have that dream again, I’d rather to stay awake than to take other chance to dream about that again. You know? Anyways, I think you’ll be alright… some food also can affect dreaming.

:shrug: Good luck!

Thank you for responding… Normally when I have a disturbing dream related to something in my real life I usually reconize it right away and the dream is in the first person. For example, I lost my mother and baby brother (he was only 27) within a year. I have a hard time expressing grief so my subconsious turns it into dreams. I dream about my mother and brother constantly, some of those dreams can down right bring me to tears. I have a clear understanding why those dreams happen BUT the purple cow of a dream I had yeaterday fits NOWHERE in my normal life. I am going to chalk it up as a ramdon fluke and put it behind me. If it starts to recur then I will look closer at my real life to see if I overlooked something.

The bad upset stomach can be a major contributing factor.

I live stomach problems and find when the pain is bad the dreams are more vivid both good & bad. In fact I have my best LD’s like this.

I suggest we call it TPILD (Terrible Pain Induced LD) in case someone gets lds through it:)

You should add that to the dictionary post!

i agree with the stomach theory… yesterday i had way to much pancakes for dinner (they where so delicious, i just couldn’t stop eating) and had a stomach ache… not so bad but i was so full my stomach hurt.

And yes, tonight i had a nightmare and woke up with pain in my stomach…
I rarely have nightmares so this one for me definately had to do with the stomach ache.

This (as everyone else is saying) is a huge contribution to your nightmare. When I get ill, or it’s near a (choclate eating) holiday I discontinmue my Dream diary to make sure no nighmares are remembered. Oh well, it works sometimes.

My Grand father died, and a few nights after I saw him in a dream. We were playing on the swings. Funnly anogth, my brother was also dreaming. But he had this recurring nightmare (he doesn’t take death well).

A few nights ago, I had a dream that I was at my Nans old house. They were all there, and then my grand father appeared out of no where. I though he was trying to give me a message because I could see him, but not hear him. Apparently no body else there took any notice.

I’ve always felt that he has been keeping a watch over me in his afterlife (which I am a beleiver of), wherever (or whatever) the afterlife is.

Hmmm…ive read this topic two days ago and since then im trying to put your theory in practice…heh,but the thing is…i cant seem to get a proper stomach ache:)Ive eaten heaps of sweets,washed it with some chamomille and mint and peach tea…hmm.what else icant remember but i was trying hard to upset it.Didnt work:(.
I need an advice:)

Try fruit cake. Lots of fruit cake just before bedtime. Pleasant nightmares. :eek:

A nightmare could induce a LD… mmm… maybe I’ll put your practice on test. The problem is, I don’t like becoming sick with upset stomach. Yucky. It can get really bad. :bored:

Perhaps Jack can be my experimenter? :cool_laugh: Hehe.

Jack, you could always try cheese - lots of it; isn’t that supposed to give you nightmare? Or cheese and fruitcake YUk!

I always find that I have nightmares if I get too hot, so maybe heat up your room more than usual?? I’ve never tried to induce a nightmare, though. Good luck??

Ive tried both- cheese and hot temperature.Never worked even tho i was sweating and couldnt think of cheese for another 2 weeks:)hehe
so those failed:(.
Ill keep looking :smile:
thx for suggestions:)

Okay you asked for it.

Tomato sauce, onions and icecream mixed with potato chips and whipped cream on anchovy pizza covered in banana puree, peas and raw minced beef and garlic tofu with another generous covering of cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, squid or freshly killed octopus. Wash it down with a large glass of fermented yak milk with raw emu egg mixed in.

I should be a Klingon chef.

sigh. Time to down that particularly nasty “Laughing Cow” cheese. Worse than american cheese.

I got a tummy ache just reading that!