Precognitive Dreaming?

I know I am probably opening up a whole can of worms here, but has anyone had what they believe to be a precognitive dream?

I had this experience recently, but cannot decide if it is coincidence. I have been keeping a detailed dream diary this year, so I had details my dreams written down.
A couple of weeks after writing down a dream, I hear a news story which had four things identical to what were in this dream. It immediately made me recall the dream and I went back to check my dream journal. I felt amazed, but at the same time I am still skeptical.

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah i have had a few dreams which you could call precognitive dreams.
Example: i dream about thunderstorms, the next day there actually is a thunderstorm.

I have also had a few similar experiences while awake also, like suddently i start thinking about a song, in many cases i cant even stand the song… Next moment someone starts whistling it.

It might just all be a coincidence though.

I would expect that these are coincidences… I think they have to happen a few times in your life. But, if we get everyone posting their one coincidence per person, then we will start to look like we are on to something. Be careful!

There’s one in the Lounge by Tiffany333…

I had one about 6 or 7 years ago, but it was while I was awake. I was walking down a hallway, and suddenly had a vision (could see it very clearly) of a girl walking through a door. The vision went away in a flash, and I turned my head. Saw the closed door. Saw it open, and saw the girl step through and look at me.

I personally think it was more of a shared-daydream, but who knows?

And it was very odd by the way (not just a normal daydream), as I’ve only had the vision thing happen 3 times in my whole life.

Yeah, I’ve had a few, but not in quite a while. They were just simple everyday things that happen, and normally happened about a month after I had the dream, and by that time i had pretty much forgotten about the dream, but when the thing would happen i would remember the feeling and then remember that I had dreamed about it. I think its deja vu. When I had these dreams they felt very different from normal dreams, and I got to know the feeling, so whenever I had a dream like that I made sure to remember it and then wait and see if it happened, and sure enough every time it happened. Coincidence? I highly doubt it.

How often, Jabbervock? And, could you describe the feeling? Are these lucid or non lucid dreams?

Ok, it was when I was quite young, 10 or 11 maybe. And it wasn’t really that often but although I’d say I’ve had about 10 that I can actually remember, but I’m quite sure that I’ve had more, because I’ve had the same feeling of deja vu, but I just can’t quite remember where its happened before. They were non-lucid, lucid procognitive dreams are a whole nother subject, so I sugest we make another topic for that if you want to discuss it. And the feeling, well, its really quite hard to explain, I guess its a sortof a feeling of awareness. But when the things happen and I remember the dream, the thing that always makes me remember the dream is the feeling that I have right at that moment, and then once that passes its gone and I can’t get it back again. And once I’ve remembered the dream from the feeling then I notice the other things like what I see.

around once or twice a month for me…

The thing that shocked me most about this dream was the fact that it was not just one single thing that was the same as my dream.
I dreamed of the type of location, the person in the news article, and the fact that that I described the person who died as looking ‘dead or very ill’ in my dream journal. It seems like rather a lot of coincidences to me…

Congredulations SleepyHead you just had a psichic dream !
I ones had a dream like this 2 times allready. 1 I was vey younge like in JK. By the way I am 15. and the 2nd like a year ago. one was something happening to another person, and the 2nd to me.
freaky no? :eh:

I haven’t had any of these types of dreams. i think that some aren’t really precognitive though. Eg with the thunderstorm, it could have been on a weather report that it would happen tomorrow and you dreamt about a thunderstorm, the next day there was one. Others i’m not so sure about.

Before you call a dream precognitive you should take the following in consideration:

• Our brain has the tendency to look for similarities. We see similarities even if it’s not there. For example if there is a flash of light at your right side and simultanuously the is a sound from your left side. Our brain perceives this a one event even if this was not the case.
    The same goes for events and memories. Even at the smallest similarity we try to explain it (unconsiously) as linked together. This is also the way our memories are stored: assiociative.
    Now, we have loads of dreams each night. It is very likely something occurs in a dream that will trigger an assiosiative response the next day on a similar event. At that time it feels like the dream coming true, because it triggers our assiociative memory.
  • Confirmation bias is a powerful psychological mechanism. We see what we want to see. If something happens that confirms our believes, we store it as proof. But if something happens that contradicts our beliefs, we simply ignore it. Don’t say: “I don’t do this.” We all do. It’s a result of the way our brain functions. We also try to bend events in a way so it will fit our believes. We make proof up form things that are not real proof, but could be explained that way.
  • Our unconsiousness is more powerful we think. Some things are logical to happen. We can ‘calculate’ this beforehand through small signals that do not become consious. It is possible that those highly possible predictions occur in our dreams. If the predictions are wrong we call uit a normal dream.
    This list could be expanded, but that’s not my point here.

After eliminating dreams that seem precognitive, but are - in fact - not, only a small percentage remains. I’m not saying that precognitive dreams do not exist, because that would be a statement I can not prove. What I am trying to say here is that many of those dreams are in fact not precognitive.

Just my two cents. :smile:

Well said Hypnodude! Most of these things seem obvious to me, so maybe I should elaborate from now on when I say things like that… I guess most people here spend their time trying to lucid dream instead of understanding it…

Thanks Hypnodude,

What you say makes a lot of sense. I personally think this dream falls into the category of the few inexplicable ones, but I understand exactly what you mean about looking for patterns etc. I recognise that a lot of seemingly precognitive dreams could well just be coincidences.

I don’t understand how/if it could be possible to see something which happens a couple of weeks later - it is just something that seems impossible with our current understanding of the world.

Who knows?

well very nice hypothesis.
But think about all those psichic people and the way some of them percive dreams. For example my freind had a dream wher a voice said " Death from above" and boom a week after this happned the WTC got a ttaked by 2 planes. " Death from above"
I dont know but this sims very real to me.

Blue tiger, that is an excellent example of a coincidence. Thanks.

This is exactly what I mean with confirmation bias.

Here in Enschede here we had a disaster with a big fireworks explosion. If I would go looking for predictions in my dreams for this, I would be able to find equally strong predictions.
The same goes for a imaginary disaster. Lets imagine a big flood. I would be able to tell you several predictions I dreamed last weeks.

This was a really weird precognative dream I had. I was in a Holodeck like room (Star Trek fans will know what I mean), except it was blue and green instead of gray and yellow. There was a viewscreen hovering in the room, and on it were Rosie O’Donnel and Oprah frolicking in a field of flowers singing Sometimes by Britney Spears :huh: Anyway, I’d never heard the song sometimes before, but sure enogh, the next day the single ‘Sometimes’ was released, which freaked me out. :wow:

Let me join the crew: a few days ago I dreamed that a guy from a certain town was gonna call me on my cellular regarding some business and that he will suggest that we go talk on the stationary phone.

Well, later that day, my colleague phoned me and told me that someone (from THAT town) will call me soon regarding some business. Minutes later the guy called AND suggested we go talk on the stationary phone. It was a long conversation (like in the dream) and he was very talkative (yup, like in the dream).

My first precognitive dream which I can remember was back in the 6th or 7th grade in primary school.

I dreamed we were in the biology class and a schoolmate in front of me was talking loudly and making jokes. So the teacher said something to him (I don’t exactly remember, but it was not something teachers say every day, she was talking to him more like on a friendly basis… I can’t explain, I don’t remember so well). Then I woke up and thougt “she was gonna say THAT to him? aw c’mon!”

Guess what happened later in the day, in school in the biology class. She told THE EXACT SAME words I have dreamed, to exactly that school mate. Because he was talking loudly and making jokes. I was totally astounded and just sat there. The only thoughts bouncing in my head were: “What the ffff?! WTF??!” :eek: