My lucid dreams are infrequent

I have had lucid moments before, where I realize that I’m dreaming for about a few seconds and then wake up. I have had one that actually lasted about 20 seconds and was amazing. My problem is that these dont happen often at all! I have had 10 of these moments since i started trying to LD this summer. I haven’t had any full LDs. I have read that if you over-try and get frustrated that you won’t have an ld so I am very careful to not over-try but while still doing reality checks and what not. I always tell myself as I go to sleep that Im going to realize im dreaming, and that it is not possible for me to be anywhere else except in my bed, and I hope to realize this while I’m dreaming. However in my dream when im talking to a purple monster, I never realize its a dream it seems normal.

I have noticed however, that since i started trying to LD, my dream recall has increased from 3 dreams a week to 3 dreams a night. Regular dreams are cool but I really want to have a full LD. How can I make my lucid moments more frequent, and then extend them to have a full LD?

When starting out, I had this problem too. I recommend that you do WBTB frequently. This will increase your lucid moments, guarenteed. When you actually become lucid, you have to keep calm and focus on your breathing. Staying calm and focused is the the first step to prolonging your lucidity.

Focus on my breathing. Iv’e heard that feeling your ‘physical’ body will make you wake up… doesn’t my brain breathe by its self when i sleep, i dont really have to think about breathing?

He just means to be aware of your rate of respiration because just like eye movements, your breathing patterns in your dreams usually closely match your breathing patterns of your physical body. If you notice you are dreaming your might get a small bit exited and start breathing too fast which will increase your heartrate and possibly waking you up.