A non-lucid, lucid dream? Im confused!

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have been practicing LD techniques for two weeks now and afew nights ago I had a dream where I became lucid (I looked at my watch…saw funny digits “hey im dreaming” etc) but it didnt “feel” like I was lucid.
Could it be that after days of reading and imagining lucid situations, my mind just dreamed a dream of lucidity?
BTW after I became “lucid” I woke up after 10 seconds so I didnt get to try out anything. :cry:

I believe that you were lucid, Wolfgang. You just experienced a low-level LD. Most novice lucid dreamers, myself included, have this problem when they first start out. Don’t worry, though, its only natural. If you stay motivated and keep diligently practicing the techniques, your LD’s will get a lot longer.

Yes I agree with The Wizard. Keep practicing and don’t give up if things doesn’t seem to work out very well. Even if you don’t succeed very good in LDing in the beginning, you’re always stimulating your subconsciousness when you stay motivated and keep practicing, and that’s always a good thing. Good luck! :happy:

Heh, I had the almost the exact same experience as you. I realized I was dreaming when I saw I had no pants…well anyways I woke around 10-15 sec. later but it didn’t “feel” like a LD. I guess it was a low-level LD as Wizard mentioned above.

I had a dream I was lucid and then had a FA in the dream that I was dreaming lucid :content: Ya it confuses me to.

most peoples first few lucid dreams are very hazy. Not very realistic. Lucidity is a skill you have to develope, you can’t expect perfection on your first time! Pretty soon you’ll be having ful fledged lucid experiances, but untill then learn to love the dreams you have!
Good luck! :grin:
-Charlotte

I’ve had non-lucid lucid dreams before also. It’s differen’t than a low level lucid dream in which you have some awareness of the dream but don’t necesarily have any control. I had a dream where I said, “hey this is a lucid dream”, but it was if I was just an actor speaking a line… I didn’t really believe it or experience it as real.

I had the same experience, wolfgang. I was aware that my dream was a dream, and started flying, but it didn’t feel that great; it was just normal, during the dream and when I woke up. I guess it was low lucidity, and that I need more time to achieve higher lucidity.

There are 2 common situations that might confuse those who are new to lucid dreaming.

Firstly, it’s possible that you had a normal dream (ND) which was on the topic of lucid dreaming. You might have been talking to a dream-friend about LDing, or even walking around controlling the environment with God-like powers - but it’s still a normal dream. Just because the dream was about realizing that you’re dreaming, it doesn’t necessarily mean you realized you were dreaming. It’s painfully annoying to have an entire ND on the topic of lucid dreaming without ever upgrading to the lucid state.

Secondly, you might have been lucid for 4 and a half seconds. Just enough time to think “Hey, I’m really doing it” - only to lose the control back to a traditional unconscious dream. You might notice a moment of significance just as the realization takes hold, then suddenly you’re off on another weird and random adventure back in the form of an ND. You’ll probably wake up thinking “I had an LD!.. but… wait, why did I go off doing all that stupid crap if I knew it was a dream?”

To prevent the second scenario, I recommend you keep in mind the possibility that over-reacting to becoming lucid will sometimes throw it all away before you get to have any fun. So, next time you think “I’m dreaming”, stay calm, and perform some of the famous stabilization techniques you’ve heard people talking about all over the forum.

It’s like riding a bike. At first you can only stay on for a few seconds, then eventually you can ride for as long as you like. When you get really experienced, you can even do some pretty impressive tricks on it. :smile:

Just keep trying.

First time I ever got on a bike I could ride perfectly. I was young then.

Quiet - you’ll ruin everything!

It’s just an analogy. :smile:

Ya I know sry.

Thanks everyone, just last night I had a proper lucid dream although it only lasted a minute but I now can certainly tell the difference between last night and that false LD I first mentioned. As with everything in life practice makes perfect :grin:

I’ve also had a lot of these “false” lucid dreams, or whatever to call them. I think I’ve had some real to, but they just lasted a couple of seconds. It’s really annoying to be so close but never actually experience the real thing. But I’ll keep practicing :smile: And it feels good to know I’m on my way… :grin: