Knowing the time before waking

I can rememeber many instances in which a certain time will pop into my head right before I wake up (like 7:34 or something specific like that), and the time imagined is the same as the real time when I check my clock. Often, the time will be only a minute or two off. Sometimes, it’s exactly an hour off. I have no idea what generates the specific time, but I can remember seeing the time on a digital clock in my sleep. With the way my bed is situated on my loft, it is impossible to see my clock from any position while sleeping.

I know of people (including myself) who always wake up a minute or two before their alarm clock usually goes off. My guess is that is probably connected to some internal, subconscious clock. This is not the same as what I am talking about.

In the phenomenon I am talking about, the time generated in my mind is always different and does not relate to the time my alarm is set for. I posted this because I have a feeling that other people have experienced this same phenomenon.

Any input?
Thanks! :happy:

Happens to me every night, and usually it’s exactly 5 minutes before the alarm was set to go off. It also doesn’t seem to matter what time I set the alarm for. It’s as if the action of setting the alarm in RL also sets your internal alarm, except for a few minutes earlier. It’s really quite amazing how accurate your ‘built-in’ timer is.

I experimented a bit with this… it seems be enough giving yourself a suggestion :eek: Nearly every time i tried, i woke up +/- 5 minutes from the time… Indeed pretty weird

This morning i had a FA where the time was exactly 12 mid day. Then when I woke up it was exactly 12 mid day! :eek:

Hmmmmm… very interesting.

Never knew so many people experienced this. Yeah, I woke up this morning with the time “8:47” running through my head from my sleep. When I woke up, I looked at the clock and it was 8:37… exactly ten minutes off, not bad. :cool:

Same here.

Another interesting thing:
I am not sure, but it occures to me that this awakening-shortly-before-alarm-wents-off happens particularly often after having a LD. So this would mean that I am more likely to get lucid when I know that I am going to be awoken soon, right?

tapir

I sometime get a voice that shouts the time at me and wakes me up, it’s often right or not far off, sometime it says other things aswell like ‘Your doing it again’ or ‘Get up, it’s 10 to 10’ even had a whole poem about dreams once!

Thats an interesting idea, Tapir. Now that I think about it, I can recall a couple times when I had LD’s before this phenomenon. That would be a good experiment. Like Tomas said, maybe it would be enough just to mentally suggest to yourself a certain time to wake up. Then you could see if you get LD’s more frequently?

Tomas, have you noticed any more LD’s when experimenting with the mental suggestions to wake up?

Maybe I’ll try that tonight…

I don’t know why, but I now wake up all the time anywhere from 3:30 - 4:00 AM every singe night. I guess it can be used as an advantage though, since I no longer need to set an alarm for WBTB.