"God this, God that" In the USA

I’ve never seen a Political/Religious thread that went on for more than 1 page without deteriorating into profanity and exclamation points. Good job! :grin:

that web sittte link was an intense and yet somewhat enlightining reading.His views were out there and some i can see are good but i just dont know i am a christian and i fell god exist and that there is a hell bu i been taught that god is caring kind and everything this writer stated he wasn’t

I understand what you are saying i think, don’t take this the wrong way but he is using logic to say how God doesn’t exist, which is pointless for most religious people because they don’t base religion on logic, they base it on feelings and faith. If one truly has faith they can never be converted. But i agreed with most (not all) of what he said.

Wow Alex. I can’t beleive we actually agree on something! Are you non-christian? Athiest? Or just don’t know? Me, I’m not totally against the idea of God, it’s just that I live in the biggest bible belt this side of the south. Seriously. There is a church every five miles out here. There are freakin’ billboards everywhere spouting bible verses out at me and it gets on my nerves. How come we don’t see some buddhist or satanic or muslim or jewish slogans out there? They’re all religions too. Not all christians are bad, but 90 percent of them where I live are the hellfire and brimstone preaching retards who are quick to point out everything that is wrong with you if you don’t go to church. It’s people like that who can really sour an opinion on christianity. And don’t tell me (not you Alex, everyone else) I shouldn’t base my religious beliefs on how other followers of the faith believe. I still have my doubts on the bible. To me the book just seems like a parable written at a time when things were not fully understood. These writers of the bible saw comets and stars and eclipses and of course they were afraid. We’re past that now. The biggest thing that makes me not believe however is how christians and the bible says that if you do not know god and you die you go to hell. What about tribal people in foreign countries who have never even seen a white man or a bible. Is it really fair for all the ones who have died in the past and ones who will die in the future to go to hell just because of a crappy geographical location that made them unreachable to modern man and his religion? That seems very unfair. Surely if christianity were the real true religion god would be dropping copies of the bible out of the sky to ensure that none of his people are left behind.

Yes it is amazing that we actually agree!! I am an agnostic as close to atheism as you could be. i.e. there is only a very slight possibility that God exists in my opinion. There are countless reasons for me why God does not exist that it would take up more than one post to write them down. I also notice that you say your point of view very strongly which can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing. But i will leave it at that to let the agreement actually sound like an agreement. :wink:

You know what Alex. I bet if we were both in the same school and on the debate team, we’d be there all night! Seriously though. I value your opinions very much and lot’s of things you have said in other posts have made very much sense to me. Sorry we end up bickering so much. You’re right I do say my opinions very strongly. Strange that I’m not that bad in real life. I guess it’s when I’m on a keyboard that it all decides to come out, when people can’t see me. I’m a coward… :help:

I am not a believer of any religion, but if there is a god as described in the christian bible, i am convinced this god is not good/kind. Why would a God threaten people to believe in him/her?? It basicly says that if you do not believe in him/her, you go straight to hell… Same thing applies to the people who believe in a other religion… weird how most of the people in world will burn in hell :eek:
What religion you believe in, greatly depends on where you was born and what you where taught as a child.

A god who says this: Believe in me or burn forever in hell! Just cannot be good in my opinion

Totally agree there…

Thanks Thomas. I know that christians will choose faith above logic, and that’s fine. They’re free to do so. The main reason that many people choose religion is out of fear, and I decided long ago I would never let my life be dominated by fear of what will happen when I die.

There is no fear. I choose it out of love.

I used to be Athiest. Then agnostic. Now I can’t look at the beauty and intricacy of this world and say there isn’t a God. Life doesn’t make any sense with the absence of a God. But I adopt a a belief that God is more of a force, an omniprescent entity that doesn’t judge.

Ego Tripping, your view makes more sence to me than the christian view, but i also have a problem with the statement that I can’t look at the beauty and intricacy of this world and say there isn’t a God. Why because when i look at the world half of it is the opposite of what you said. And i think that the world is the way it is because there is no other way it would exist. It is like saying look at that bed and wow you can sleep in it!, but you are forgetting that it wouldn’t be a bed if you couldn’t sleep in it. This is a strange analogy though so don’t worry if you don’t know what i mean. I think i read about this sort of thing in ‘a brief history of time’ by Stephen Hawking or it could have been something else he wrote. But don’t you think it is possible for a world to evolve like this without the presence of a God? Unless your idea of a God is so abstract that it is just a word for what i call the laws of the universe.
killaklown you make some good points also, and i think we all write more than we would say when we are off the keyboard.

As I said, many. I’m glad to see that you’re one of the few who believe what you believe because it truly makes you happy and not out of fear. That’s good. But of course you can have love without god. I don’t really know anymore. It’s such a touchy subject. I’d love to believe in god, but I hate labeling him (her, it, whatever) as the christian god. Labels are bad. In the words of Richard Bach… “A name is a label. And as soon as there is a label, the ideas disappear and out comes label-worship and label-bashing and instead of living by a theme of ideas people begin dying for labels, and and the last thing you think the world needs is a new religion.” The closest thing I could accept to a belief in a god would be what Ego Tripping said

That seems to make much sense but of course, we’ll never truly know.

After reading all your posts lately made me thinkmaybe God does exist or he did at some point. Maybe life is a test :shrug: Thats what i used to think before i lost my ego. I like reading your point of views and your opinons though :content:

Poll tax this, and poll tax that here in the UK.

Sorry couldn’t stop myself :content:

I dont use labels i just refer that god is the god for the muslims jews and christians and i agree with whomever it was that said as soon as a label is put on said it was label worshipping.Your views are amazing and i liked to here more of em,if you wouldnt mind sharing em alex and umm… sorry i dont know your name the one who was making an alliance with alex

I was the one who said the quote about labels, but I must inform you that it wasn’t my words. Those words came from the great Richard Bach. I suggest you check out some of his books, namely Illusions, Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, and One. He is amazing.

Thanks for the books i take it into consideration to read them when i get time(probably this summer)It is very obvius why you have your views because of such strict religion all over and around,amazing your sain still

Shinta of wu

i did a mistake

sorry big mistake…

maybe i can write a poem… umm… let me look… i think this is what this is for isnt it??

mmm… dosent matter,