How do you gain "Observer" Lucidity?

Okay, so all LDers know the techniques for staying lucid, and for gaining lucidity while in dreams where you are the “actor”, but what about dreams where you are the observer? Haven’t you ever been in a dream where you take the 3rd person perspective looking at your enviroment? What then? How do you spin, or rub your hands if you have no body? How do you check you watch if you have no wrist?
I have a friend who only dreams in the 3rd person perspective. He says he knows he is dreaming, but theres nothing he can do. Without a physical form, we seem to be helpless in achieving lucidity!

Anyone have any ideas on this matter?

That’s a weird one. Is it 3rd person like you see yourself, or are you not even there at all?

I have had dreams where I was only observing. It turns out I was basically having my entire field of vision taken up by something like a TV screen. When you are really focused in on a movie, that’s the effect you get, you’re really absorbed in it.

I bet if you tried, you could move your own body, you might find yourself sitting back and watching the TV, or in the same place where the actors are.

if you are not in it, then first you must realise yo uare dreaming… This is up to you how to do it, dream signs are something to look for i guess. But once you realise you are dreaming, you will then get your thaughts in, and your conscious… Then what you do, is you visualise yourself getting out of 3rd person view (ifyou want to get our of it… or if you arent in the picture atall). You visualise yourelf getting out by many ways. you could visualise that you will be braught back to your own body. That you will blink, and realise you are actually in your own body, lift your hand up and see it, and start walking and going along in 1st person… atleast thats how i do it/would do it

I’ve experimented with non-interventional lucid dreaming a couple of times in the past. Occasionally it just seems to happen without my direct request. I’ll just be ‘floating’ around, when suddenly it becomes clear that I don’t actually have a body, and none of the DCs can see me. It can be interesting if there’s actually something happening in the dream – otherwise I generally try to manifest myself so I can continue with whatever I had planned.

If I had more control over the DCs, I’d probably have a blast playing out scenes and watching them as an observer. In fact, I’ll try something like that next opportunity.

So it seems that without a physical form, it is not really possible to become fully lucid. Or atleast an appropriate technique hasn’t been developed yet… I mean, spinning is all well and good, but with no head or hands it just doesn’t work :happy:
I guess if I ever find myself in that circumstance again, I’ll try and find my body…

I like the idea of being able to actually control dream charactors as if they were actors in your own play.
Good luck on that one!

• feed_my_BRAIN

I’ve done that before, when I became lucid while watching TV in a dream. General commands are best, just let the actors ad-lib it.

Actually, I do this all the time. I have a lot of dreams where I’ll just be watching the action and I’ll know that its a dream and it all plays out like a little movie just for me… I can control it too to varying levels. I don’t know how to actually get lucid for this though other than just LDing so often that you know what a dream feels like and getting lucid from that…

Also sometimes this just happens to me when I fall back to sleep in the morning and I never really loose awareness from daydreaming…

I have “sleeping dreaming, and dying” an exploration of conciousness with the Dalai Lama here in front of me. It has a big section on lucidity, what you are talking about the Tibetian buddists call, “witnessing dreaming”. The description in the book is as follows.

I’ve had a couple they have lasted for ages and ages because I thought I was just sat in my room in that dreamy state where you just lounge in a sunbeam and your mind is a blank but you are happy and contented.

It came as a shock when I came round after what seemed about half n hour. When I snapped out of the stupor (I was listening to something really cool on a radio ((can rem now)) I became classically lucid and was in the room like you woulf be if you snapped out of a stupor in waking life.