Motivation

I sometimes feel that lucid dreaming is hard :help: , like waking up to write down dreams, reality checks, MILD, but I know it is worth it :smile: . Can you guys give me some motivation to continue :wink: ? Thanks :grin: !

heh, umm, im kind of having the same problem as you, but im going through it all subconsciously… ok umm… do this, think of all the things you wish you could do right now, anything, eventhe things that are impossible, especialy those… Now, wouldnt you wish yo ucould do that? Or what if you always wanted to kill some1? You could in a dream withought getting in trouble (ok, its sick, exept if you erally wanted to, you could) but thats a disgusting example. You could od magic things, you could fly, you can breath under water! i thaught taht was pretty dam cool.

Best of all, is you get ot screw around… you can screw some1 or you can jsut have fun exploring OR you can talk to DCs… your subconscious dilivery people. Talkign to them, yo ucan learn everything about yourself. You can motivate yourself by talkign to a DC by siply telling it that you wantto be more motivated through life. Err, i doubt that will motivate you but if it doesthen thats awsom! Oh eyah, also, you are more away of life in reality, and i find that a huge bonus. You are also more calm… :wink:

just try and get RCs to be a subconscious thing you do, then it wont be so tuff. Its especialy hard becuase it isnt carved into your daily routines. So its a challenge, once the echtings are in, then its smooth flying

I frequently get discouraged. But then I have an LD and do crazy stuff like flying and breathing underwater and it gets me all pumped up again. But if you never have any I can kind of see but even remembering some crazy NLD I have gets me excited. Read through your dream journal some and see if reading all your crazy dreams helps get you motivated.

The best way to be motivated is to have an LD. The extra motivation helps you have more LD’s, which made you more motivated. On the other hand if you have no LD’s for awhile, you’re less motivated which makes it less likely for you to have LD’s and so on…

That’s why I think LD’s seem to come in cycles, with droughts.

why is it worth it? what do you want to accomplish?

i think it’s easier to find motivation when you have some goals in mind. personally, i love flying, but haven’t been able to fly at super fast speeds yet. i also got inspired by a couple of posts that talked about walking through walls and that became one of my goals too

so sometimes, instead of doing reality checks, i’d be going somewhere and think about how cool it would be to be able to get there by flying super fast, and i visualize myself doing so. when walking into a building, i try to see myself walking through one of its exterior walls instead of the door

so maybe you should think of a few things you’d like to do in an LD. it takes discipline (at least for those of us who aren’t natural) so i suggest starting out with fun things to do in an LD (cough flying cough :smile:) to reward all your determination

I think about when I just started off doing LD, and how my teqniques diverse from now. That gives me motivation. But also making LD a habit, makes it less power draining.

virtuoso I know exactly what you mean. At the beginning motivation is easy. Or after success. But when the droughts come. . . its almost impossible to get motivated again. I don’t even know when my last LD was anymore. I think it was April-ish and it was just a lucid moment. It’s hard to be motivated without successes.

Here’s an interesting article I read today. It deals with motivation. It’s geared toward bodybuilding because that’s my other current hobby.

Can Science Predict Your Bodybuilding Success?

Bodybuilding is difficult sport. It demands sacrifice, dedication and motivation. Bodybuilding is also a sport with a high turnover rate. Every year gyms around the world are flooded by people with new year’s resolutions. In most cases, by mid-March, many of these people abandon their physical activities. Why do some people fail at exercise, and others not?

In a study conducted at the University of Leuven, Belgium, researchers had 695 volunteers (340 males, 355 females) between the ages 18 and 22 enroll in physical education classes. Although participation was voluntary, the classes were necessary for the students to graduate from teachers College.

The volunteers were divided randomly into three groups of 20 to 26 students each. Each group received different instructions about the task they were going to learn (playing basketball).

One group received instructions emphasizing that learning to play basketball was mandatory. The other group received instructions that learning to play basketball would prove personally important to them. The final group received instructions about how learning to play basketball would prove personally important to them and how it would be important in the future.

When the groups performed the tasks and later filled out reports on the activity, it was found that the group who received instructions emphasizing that the activity was mandatory, performed more poorly and were less motivated than the other groups.

The group that was told of the activity’s personal relevance fell in between the two groups in the categories and motivation, satisfaction with the activity, and performance level.

The group that received instructions emphasizing how the activity was relevant to them now AND in the future, were by far the most motivated and performed the best of all three groups.

This study is relevant for bodybuilders in that it points to the underlying psychological processes of negotiated meaning, inner dialogue, and internalization of value messages.

To succeed as a bodybuilder it is best to think about how bodybuilding is relevant to you NOW, AND to think of how it will be relevant to your long term goals, in the future. The study also points out the danger of considering bodybuilding “just a job” (a range-of-the-moment consideration). By making bodybuilding means something to you, you exponentially increase your chances of success.

SOURCE: Journal Of Sport And Exercises Psychology, 2003, 25, 145-160.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Why do people want to immediately write their dreams down as soon as they awake when all they really need to do is buy a cheap mini cassette recorder and keep it on their bed. Every morning I wake up at least 5 times and simply feel around for my mini cassette recorder, hit record, speak my dream without ever even opening my eyes, hit stop, roll over, and drift right back into sleep. I usually capture about 6 or 7 dreams a night like this. Then at night before I go to bed I listen to them again and it floods my senses with things I would never have remembered if I hadn’t recorded them. Also listening to them at night gives you time to write them down at your own pace, and it preps you for that nights dreams. Trust me. 15 bucks for one is worth it because you can use the same tape over and over again and the time you save instead of writing when you’re tired and groggy will make you very happy. I’ve had mine for over a year now and have already filled up one and a half books (500 pages in just the first) with my dreams. The more dreams you remember, the more likely a chance you’ll have a lucid one.

I’ve never had a full-blown lucid dream yet, so I don’t know how it feels to have one and be motivated by it. If I did have one, I would probably be more motivated to continue. Remembering my dreams is the hardest part for me. But hopefully, it will improve with practice (also, I think I’m lazy when I just wake up :wink: )

I seem to regress into motivational slumps every now and then. Right now, I seem to be recovering from one because I had a couple of LD’s last night :clap: . Usually having a LD pulls me out of the slump. I also read other people’s journals on this forum to draw motivation.

This is exactly how it works for me. I might lose motivation for a few days (staying up late, forgetting to RC, etc) - and then I’ll have a mind-blowing LD purely by chance, and for the next few weeks I’ll be back at the wheel doing what I can to encourage more of them. :smile: