Describe your average LD initiation...

I thought it would be interesting to see a cross-section of how exactly people go about having lucid dreams. If you use a lot of different techniques, post about the one you most commonly use. :cool:

Here goes for me:

It’s about 6 o’ clock in the morning, and I’ve just had a dream that I’m starting to wake up from. But for some reason, I become conscious before I’m fully awake. My eyes are closed and I’m lying on my back. Through a nearby window, I can hear a car passing by.

Before I can wake up, I start concentrating on remaining very still. My body begins to have a static-feeling all over, like your foot does before it falls asleep. I concentrate on that static feeling and try to get it to intensify.

I start to imagine that my body is moving, without trying to move it. I gently roll out of my bed and put my feet on the floor–but I’m in a dream, not real life. I still can’t see anything and it’s pitch dark. I stand up, staying still in the middle of my room. I rub my hands on the legs of my jeans (even though I don’t sleep wearing jeans :eh: ).

A few moments pass and I begin to see again. I can see around my room, and it’s starting to get lighter. Wanting to get to a brighter, different place, I walk toward the nearest wall and pass through it. As I walk, everything is dark again, but I know I will soon walk into a dream that rapidly materializes in front of me. It is light, and it is stable. I stare at the new world around me, and it is vivid.

I’m in a lucid dream!

Okay, now it’s your turn :tongue:

It’s tough to say what an average experience is for me, but this is most often how it goes…

Sometime during the night, usually not too close to when I decide to wake up, I’m in a dream. It’s pretty vivid. I go about probably less than half of the dream non-lucid. It’s a normal dream. Suddenly a “spark” of consciousness hits me, and it is then when I doubt whether what I am experiencing is WL. It’s usually nothing too out of the ordinary that makes me doubt the dream. I really never think to do a RC, it’s just this sudden wave of consciousness I sometimes experience.

Anyways, from this point, I typically just walk or run away looking for some DC’s to annoy. If not this, I like to defy death, like by jumping into a canyon or out of a building. Flying is always on the agenda…

This is the way most of my LD’s have started for as long as I can remember. It’s not systematic or planned at all, and that has proved to be a major drawback as I am now working on getting my LD’s back… the spark of consciousness very rarely hits me anymore. Anyone out there who can naturally experience lucid dreams, beware! I suggest you develop a personal method, and find out why you have been able to get lucid in the past.

Anyways, thats my average lucid moment… plus some additional rantings. :grin:

All of my WILDs have enolved me doing the same thing Monitor. I try to make myself in a dream when I wake up in the morning. I let myself slip away and then I get out of bed in a LD. Other than that I realize I am dreaming through a reality check(normally looking at a clock or doing the nose RC)

I do a RC every time I wake up from a vivid dream. I count the fingers on my hand using my other hand (feeling how many fingers there are). Quite often I wake up having 14 fingers or more on one hand…

Except from that, I keep a very questioning state of mind, doing not so few RCs through out the day. This also gives me quite a lot of lucid moments…

You know… I have tried a few things… using RCs, WBTB… when I become lucid in a dream its always because I just randomly realize I am dreaming. Most of the time I am not practicing any induction techniques at all. One time it happened because I realized that some writing was changing but most of the time I just sort of come to the conclusion that I’m dreaming. I am far from a natural LDer though. I think just being aware of dreams and dreaming is doing it for me. If I put some sustained effort into RCs or something I bet I could have a lot more.

:content:

hey,
yeah… i havent really used anything myself… Things in my dreams well i will talk about this month…

I had this dream then i became lucid… wooke up… had the same dream… became lucid…

ok the other one… i was jumping high like flying and this is something that i know happend in dreams… always use to have these dreams when i was younger…

The WBTB method in conjunction with MILD is by far the most effective ld initiation technique for me.

I usually become lucid on accident. There has not been any particular thing that initiated lucidity yet. Every time, I just sudenly reallize I’m dreaming.

Usually I just lurk around here and read everything but here goes…

I have this thing where recently I can almost always LD when I nap. It’s harder at night and when it does happen it’s usually just me noticing a dreamsign by accident. When I’m napping though the LD starts right when I fall asleep, I’m conscious, then I’m in the dream. I think it has to do with sleeping lightly when napping but I’m not sure. I’m pretty excited to keep experimenting though…let me know if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks!

I have an odd technique that has been working quite well recently inducing a decent amount of LDs. I do tons of RCs throughout the day and if possible I attempt Lucid Living throughout the day too. When I go to bed those nights, I put lots of effort into attempting various LD induction techniques, but usually just MILD. I do this for several days and then when it starts become fluent and automatic, I make no effort to do them for an entire day, yet my mind automatically does them anyway. It turns out that even when I go to sleep that night, I automatically attempt to do MILD without having to concentrate on it since its a usual routine. Even if it doesn’t work upon falling asleep, once I am awake in my dream world, the RCs kick in.

I came up with this because I realized I frequently dream about activities if I haven’t done them within a day or two. For example, if I haven’t played guitar in a few days I would probably dream about that or if I beat a game and no longer play it, then that shows up too. My mind seems to always remind me of things in my dreams.

When i think “i just had the weirdest dream” it usually makes me realise im still dreaming.

Thats what happened my last LD.

Exactly!

This is why I like to wake up a few times during the morning. Usually, when I return to sleep I’ll go straight back into the same dream I previous woke from (or a similar/related one). In this case, I often think “This is just like a dream I had last night… wait…” :grin:

FOr me it is usually this:

1.Go to bed around 9:00 with the intention to remember my dream.
2. Wake up roughly 3 hours later and do MILD.
3. Have 1 or more Lucid dreams
4. After any other awakenings do WILD

I haven’t had that many, but in the ones I’ve had, I either seem to begin them Lucid, or just suddenly become aware that I’m dreaming for no reason at all, I usually do a few RC’s to just make sure, but I have never RC’d in a non-LD. It’s weird.

Usually I lay down close my eyes and fall asleep then I start a lucid dream.
If not directly into a lucid dream later on I will become lucid and continue dreaming. Then I wake up and go on with the day.

mine usually just comes to me, out of no where, sometimes with a weird rushing sensation in my body or sometimes not, usually its when i just become lucid and i am touching something. I’ve also had ones that are slow realisation lucid dreams where i relaise it slowly until the point where i think i have been lucid the whole dream but figure out later that i wasn’t.

i have done this a few times, where i wake up and when i do i tilt my head back in bed to a slight down angle. Then i wake up in a dream somwhere. It’s like more blood is going to my head and does something.