Best advice I've heard in a while...

This is for all the people who aint FULLY lucid…u know who you are! It’s when you can fly…and teleport…and go through walls…but you can’t umm…make an object appear from nowhere or something. Anotherwards theres some stuff you still can’t do even though you should know that its your mind so you should be able to do anything.

The thing about this bit of advice is that everyone has heard it a million times I’d think… everyone knows The Matrix has many similarities to lucid dreaming but this advice isn’t just close, its PERFECT for people who just can’t do all the imposible! This is from the film:

Neo see’s a small boy holding a spoon. The boy looks at the spoon and manages to bend the spoon whatever way he wishes without any visible effort then holds the spoon to Neo. He looks at it for a second.

Spoon-boy says, “Don’t try to bend the spoon. That’s impossible. Instead, try to realise the truth.”

“What truth?”, says Neo.

“There is no spoon”, says Spoon-boy. “Then you will realise that is not the spoon that bends, only yourself.”

SPOT ON. Perfecto. Also, a lot of people on this forum talk of voice commands and stuff. “INCREASE LUCIDITY!” is a common one. Have you ever tried saying “there is no wall” and think deeply about it and then try? I usually say “there is no spoon” even if it aint a spoon I’m dealing! This is coz I know wot i mean when I say it. EVEN NEO USES THIS!!! Must be good…

All hail Spoon-Boy, the master of lucidity! Think about the passage again seriously, it’s totally correct. If you think of trying to bend the spoon (in a LD) some people will maybe get it…but a lot won’t. That’s because it is impossible to bend a spoon like that. You know from experience and so does your brain. There is no time in your life that you will ever manage to bend a spoon so you have to stop thinking BEND THE SPOON. You need to start thinking THERE IS NO SPOON!

Don’t know where all that came from… lol. Just watched the movie earlier and thought it was kinda cool coz I had a lot of trouble in my earlier dreams doing some stuff that was too wacky. Thats why i used “shortcuts” but now I can more or less do whatever I want with NO effort except change location which takes a TINY bit more effort lol.

Anyway, Happy New Year guys. God I’ve not been here from about 3 months or something! I’ll start reading all the posts I’ve missed!

Pedro

Funny, I really didn´t get what that means, thought it was just some kind of smart-sounding holywood remark :wink:
But no I got it, thanks

tapir

Famous scene! Yep, fits perfectly with lucid dreaming.

great tip :happy:
i love that movie and find the whole thing is very similar to lucid dreaming
there are so many quotes that could apply to lucid dreaming

“You ever have that feeling where you’re not sure if you’re awake or still dreaming?”

“You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, this is not far from the truth.”

On the other hand, the famous breathe-through-closed-nose test works despite us truly knowing you can’t breathe through a closed nose. In fact, that’s why it’s so effective - once you’ve done the breathing, the subconcious will have to fuzz you very very much to stop you getting lucid.

NO NO NO YOUR GETTING EVERYTHING BACKWARDS!!!

You KNOW you cannot ever bend a spoon with will.

You also can’t breathe through your nose. You also can’t breathe through your nose in a dream!!!
Infact, you don’t even BREATHE IN the dream!

What you have to see is that in that world there IS NO NOSE, and the air you breathe doesn’t exist either! EXACT same as the spoon!

I suspect you still get the breathing sensation in dreams, this would stop you from panicking and thinking you really stopped breathing.

But breathing is still just something you are doing through habit! If you become FULLY LUCID (which means you understand that EVERYTHING in your world is in your mind) you would understand that its not just a spoon that aint real! THE AIR AINT REAL! Therefore, you don’t have to breathe! I’ve went without breathing! There is no need to, theres nothing there to breathe! It is imcredibly easy to walk through walls because there is no wall. Your body isn’t real either. It’s also easy to swim underwater and not breathe at all as there is no air anyway and everything you use to breathe (nose, mouth) isn’t there either!

You achieve a breathing sensation in your dreams but this is the same as the sensation that you are indeed holding a pencil in your hand in a dream. Even though there is no pencil…and no hand!

That’s why people say “breathe underwater” and not “hold breath indefinately”.

Please look at my posts at your dream diary…