Reading in dreams...

Quick question:

One of the reality checks people say to use is trying to read something…

Why is it that when I read something or look at a set of numbers, they show up just fine?

i think the RC is supposed to be to read something, look away, then read it again. the idea is that what you read would’ve changed to say something else when you look back

It will change becuase your brain has no expeternal imput to base the text on

oh…

with all my experience everything i have read at first appears fine until you look away then it turns to crazy gibberish and never goes back to normal. this is my favorite RC because its quick and reliable…

It really depends on your expectations… Reading in my dreams works well in most cases also, even did a few experiments with it during LD’s… Same thing goes for the lighswitch, it works fine when you expect it to work…

Words always stay the same for me. In a dream a few nights ago, there were boxes with sealife printed on them. When I looked again they were still the same. :wiske:

Text always stays the same in my dreams. Had a ND this morning where I was chatting on MSN, and it worked just fine.

I have also read posts on this forum in my ND, but even though the text is stable, the posts will sometimes be gibberish to read.

In fact, on of my first LDs was induced by me reading in my dream. Not because the text changed, but because the text was about lucid dreaming and the title on the page was “Wake Up”. So after a few sentences I studied the title, before I decided to count my fingers.

I did experiments with text before in my LD’s. What I have found is that if you expect the text to remain the same, it will be. If you expect the text to change or mess up, then it will be. The expectations of yours play a big role in your dream world so sometimes RC’s fail in your case if you expect everything to work properly. That’s why I don’t like RC’s very much.

So try next time, Loose ld, when you try reading something when you’re questioning your own content (the possibility that you are dreaming), EXPECT it to change. It should change after you look away from the text and look at it again, but you have to expect it to change or otherwise it will trick you into thinking that you’re not dreaming.

Good luck!
Dm7

This is how they read to me when I’m awake. :tongue:

Exactly DM7! Everything is based on your own expectations :smile:

The hard thing about this is that there isn’t a correct answer! Sometimes when you read, look away and then read again the text will remain the same! And sometimes it won’t! Usually it won’t. Someone mentioned it’s about expectation. It’s about that and other thing…you get a deal of control too. Sometimes I can look away and look back and the text has changed to what I wanted it to change to.

The worst thing in the world is when you or another DC gives a good reason WHY you read it wrong and then you don’t become lucid lol. Thats when back-up RC’s are handy.

I’m confused now of what my expectations will be. I mean next time I have a lucid dream I might remember this thread and therefore, not spontaneously expect one or the other. What if you don’t expect at all and are just completely unsure of what will happen?

Then absolutly anything will happen! ANYTHING! Even if you do remember…anything could happen! There might be NO writing when you look back! When I first started out I read a poster on a wall and looked away. I hoped it would change when I looked back coz I always hope I’m in a lucid dream but when I looked back the poster wasn’t there…because the WALL it was on wasn’t there anymore! The more you think about what effect reading the posts will have on you the more weirdness you’ll recieve when you do come to dreaming. Just read it, take it in and then don’t…worry about it. Worry might be too strong a word but you know what I mean!