I'm back with an observation

I had been interested in LDing about a year ago, but then lost interest after achieving 2 LDs. Well i’m back! :cool_laugh: And i just had an observation about sleeping in general. When i wake up for school, I notice that if i wake up and realize i was just in a dream (waking up straight out of REM) then i’m really tired and find it hard to get out of bed, while if i wake up and don’t remember a dream (probably work up not right out of REM) then I don’t have too much trouble getting out of bed. It also seems to me like my sleep cycles are always the same. For a week or so i went to bed at around 9:30 and got up at 6:00 every morning for school, and i noticed i never work up out of a dream, but then i went to bed around 10 for a couple nights and i woke up out of a dream in all three of them… wouldn’t it be interesting if you were to set your alarm for 1 hour after u go to bed, record observations, then the next night set alarm for 2 hours after going to bed, etc. and you would be able to figure out what your sleep cycles are. I would think that could have significant implications as for recalling dreams, if you were to set your alarm to wake up after a dream… and if you fall asleep right after you record your dream, if would be interesting to find out if you really go right back into the same part of your dream cycle as you exited it when you woke up. Then it would be possible to set an alarm and wake up after EVERY dream, and after time. In fact, after time i bet it would be possible to make your body wake you up after every dream. After waking up at 6 every morning for a long time, there have been numerous times that i have woken up at 5:59 (one time was very strange, but i won’t get into that here). Wouldn’t that be an incredible help if you were able to make your body naturally wake up after every dream so that you could record it? much easier than having to recall all your dreams in the morning. Any comments are welcome.

Thats a good idea. A way to actually go through and map out ur own individual sleep cycles. Even better than dream recall uses. You could set up timed recordings or a sound or suminthing to go off during ur REM to try to get u lucid. It would be like the expensive things that go off when they detect ur in REM but thats kinda more than u need. If you could map out and find an average dream cycle u could just know when ur gonna be in REM and not need sumin to detect it for u. then u could have sumin set up to go off then and try to get u lucid. Good job Kenry this observation might have much use.

The only problem I see with this working is that when you set an alarm (or music to wake up less startled and probably remember ur dreams better then), it will go off at that time regardless of when you go to sleep. In order to time your sleep cycles, you’d either need one of those masks that detects REM or you would have to delicately control the experiment… you’d have to do something like meditate or something before you go to bed just to clear your mind (if, for example, you’re nervoud for a big test the next day, you might not fall asleep at the same time, throwing the results off) and then when you go to sleep, think about the same thing (count sheep if you’re into that) and you will hopefully be able to get to sleep about the same time each night… I might just try this, maybe at 1 hour intervals (ie, set alarm 1 hour after going to bed first night, then 2 hours 2nd night… or maybe it would be better to randomize it? like 5 hours first night, then 2, then 7, then 6, then 1, then 3, then 4, or something like that) and record results… Of course to completely control the experiment, you’d have to go to sleep the exact same time each night and have to same amount of exercise, food, ect. each day so that you are equally tired each night, but this is obviously unreasonable, so unless you have a NovaDreamer or some similar device, there’s going to be at least a little error in the experiment. then after that experiment and you’ve calculated when your sleep cycles are, then progress and see if you can fall asleep right after waking up and go right back into the same part of the sleep cycle that you woke up from, etc, as in my original post… i might just try this. when i tried to LD before, i had decent dream recall, but not good, and if this works then i might be able to upgrade my recall to exceptional. If fact, I WILL do this! I’m going to start monday. I’ll update you as this progresses.

you have long posts :grin:

I’m not too sure about this, but isn’t it possible to use an EEG machine to monitor your brainwaves and pinpoint the times when you are in REM sleep?

What’s an EEG machine? (there ya go, a shorter past :wink: )

well ya ofcouse u wouldnt always be accurate with the timing. But if u just got an average of when ur normally in REM sleep u might have sum odds to have it work lik 2 or 3 times a week. And if 1 of those times actually spurrs and LD i think thats pretty good especially for begginers to have atleast 1 LD a week.