Do I want to LD, nah!

Last night I actually had a dream where I realized I was dreaming and decided to not become lucid. I forget the specifics of the dream but I realized I was dreaming, said “Hey, I am dreaming”, looked around and confirmed I was dreaming but just shrugged it off cause I was having so much fun. Has anyone ever had this happen?

What? That means you are Lucid, like it or not. It’s your option to control your dream and stay lucid that you let go.

Not neccesarily, if you just continue on with you NL as usual, and not concentrate on your lucidity you will likey forget it and go back to your ND. Look at it like sleeping and then waking up, you could and probably will fully wake up and start doing thing, although for whatever reason, you could choose to go back to sleep.

Yes, I understand. I guess there is several ways of looking at it. But most begginers would count a 5 second knowing you are dreaming as an LD. Lucd (Contious) dreaming, thus the sentance says what it means.

Personally i don’t believe that, i believe you are only lucid if you are actively controlling the dream. Just saying “Hey, I am dreaming” doesn’t mean you’re lucid it just means that Lucid dreaming is on your mind and incorporated into your dream False Lucid.

That said i nearly always know i am dreaming, not so much as to say “Oh hey it’s a dream” but enough to know that it’s a dream and i can only be hurt if i let myself be. Some people would also class this as Lucidity (which would mean i am pretty much lucid all the time lol) I don’t see it as even remotely lucid others probably will.

If i am not in control/actively taking part it would be boarderline lucidity.

As for the original question, yes i have become lucid enough for this to happen and then chosen not to be lucid. Usually because i am too tired to try and maintain lucidity, or because i was enjoying the dream without lucidity and a few other reasons.

The definition of lucidity is just that you’re aware of the dream. Control has little or nothing to do with it. However, it is common that your ND might have simply incorporated the topic of lucidity without ever waking your conscious mind to the fact that you’re dreaming. Only the dreamer can interpret which of those actually happened.

Since MToker clearly stated that he had the opportunity to go Lucid, but decided against it, I’m going to side with Technodreamer. To me, that indicates that he was actually lucid, even for a brief moment, before allowing the dream to subside back into an ND. Without some degree of consciousness, how could you claim that you were able to pass-up the opportunity of lucidity? If the ND never turned lucid, then it was never going to – the illusion of passing up the opportunity would then just be part of the underlying ND.

It goes without saying that to make a conscious decision, you have to be conscious (ie Lucid).

I wasn’t saying that he wasn’t lucid, because of corse he had to be, I’m saying that he could have still gone and purposly lost lucidity and gone back to a ND, although the whole dream in review would be a lucid dream…
“That means you are Lucid, like it or not.”
I was just saying that its not a “like it or not” situation, because you could still be not lucid later in the dream.

You’re completely right, Neo. If he wanted to lose the lucidity and sink back into an ND, he’s welcome to. It sounded like you were implying that he didn’t necessarily have to obtain lucidity in the first place, but that was just a misunderstanding.

ath. do you litterally mean “aware” of the dream or fo you mean “aware you are dreaming” because to me those are 2 different things.

I agree, and would have to think that he means “aware you are dreaming”…

Aware of the dream:
-> Aware that the dream is a dream.
-> Aware that it’s not reality.
Therefore, aware that you’re dreaming.

No?

Well the way you said it just sounded like “aware of your surroundings” rather then knowing your dreaming. Yet another misunderstanding.

yes to me it says aware that it’s happening but not neccessarily that it’s a dream.

For example my father does not experience a dream as it happens but he remembers it on waking.

Where as i experience it as it happens - this to me is being aware of the dream - as opposed to aware that the dream is a dream.

I highly disagree there… The term Lucid Dreaming has nothing at all to do with dream control. Lucid dreaming is when you are conscious and truly know that you are in a dream. It often happens i just explore the dreamworld, without actively trying to control everything… I find it much more interesting to see the interesting scenes/plots that my mind can come up with, i do not find it as fun to just control everything, it gets boring to know everything that will happen all the time.
But yeah… lucid dreaming is a nice way to control your dreams, but you can also choose to stay passive…

I think some control is great, but too much get boring to me, as i like suprises :wink:

I define low/high level lucidity by how clear my consciousness is… Example: If i know i am dreaming, but do not think clearly like in waking reality, i choose to call it a low level ld. I have also had low level ld’s where i have full control but do not think straight, this i still call a low level ld.

Yeah totally.Lucid means aware that your dreaming, dont matter if you control it or not.

TOMAS: ONLY ONE MORE POST TILL DREAM DEITY!

When I went “hey I am dreaming” My next reaction was to do the nose RC like I always do. But i decided not to. So even though I wasn’t fully lucid it would have been a matter of seconds before I was. I just decided not to attempt lucidity.

I agree that stating in a dream “hey I’m dreaming” or anything similar doesn’t mean you are lucid. If you do an RC or something to fully attain lucidity then you are “lucid”. I have said before in a dream that I was dreaming but it is different when I recognize that I am dreaming than if it is actually part of the dream and not a statement of lucidity.