I just had a dream that was like an acid trip

This was so weird. I often take drugs in my dreams and feel the effects much like in real life, but this was different. I was with a friend and he said ‘Hey try this out it makes you so high’ He had a little bottle with liquid in it. I stuck out my tounge and he dripped a few drops on my tounge. My perception instantly began to shift incredibly. I can’t really describe it but it was insane everything started echoing and voices were talking to me and insanly odd emotions and thoughts were going through my head. I asked him what in the world he gave me and he told me it was acid. I’ve never dropped acid before and probably never will, so since I have had no previous experience with acid, I don’t understand how i was able to feel its effects so vividly. Any Ideas? Anyways the trip started getting insanly crazy and I no longer had a body i had become some sort of energy or something and saw everything in third person. Up untill now the dream had been extremely euphoric but this suddenly changed. I began worrying that taking the acid might cause damage to my body and this worry led me into vivid hallucinations of death, rotting flesh, maggots and demons. As i became overwhelmed with terror i felt myself awakening. I then found myself in sleep paralysis for the first time and I felt like I was goign to die. Finally i was able to move my fingers, then my arms, and then the rest of my body.

Despite the rotting flesh and maggots this was an interesting expierence. I would do it again. Any ideas on what the F this was? I have never tripped or experienced with any hallucinogens so its not possible this could be a flashback. It felt so real. How did my mind create this? Anyone else tripped like this?

i’ve never taken acid, but i’ve heard and read some stories of people who have

my personal theory on acid (or any hallucinogen for that matter) is that it artificially stimulates the brain, and when the brain is stimulated in this way, it perceives things differently.

i think that we can stimulate our brains naturally to have these “trips”, so i’m betting that you stumbled upon just such a phenomenon in your dream

I have taken acid and other psychedelics before and I’m going to have to say that saying that the same experiences these chemicals create cannot be replicated in their entirety by any other means. It does these gifts of nature injustice to say so. If you have ever experienced 6-12 hours of a mind-bending substance you would know what I’m saying. I have experienced drugs in my dreams before and it was a unique experience.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about the limitless possibilities of the mind, dreaming, astral projection, meditation, etc. and any other consciousness expanding activity. But I think they are all unique in their own ways even though there are overlaps and similarities.

Acid itself does not artificially stimulate the brain like you said, it inhibits and increases the production of various neuro-chemicals (which are found naturally in the brain) causing drastic changes in consciousness. According to this book I’ve read called The Dream Drugstore by Alan Hobson, dreaming, chemically altered state of consciousness, and psychosis are all similar in that they are the results of similar (but not the same) changes in the brains natural chemistry.

Nuclei: words can never fully communicate these kinds of experiences but what you wrote does seem like real experiences of an acid trip. I wish we knew more about this kind of stuff to see if what happened to you was more than just a dream creation. I think maybe it could have been.

I have taken acid and other psychedelics before and I’m going to have to say that saying that the same experiences these chemicals create cannot be replicated in their entirety by any other means. It does these gifts of nature injustice to say so. If you have ever experienced 6-12 hours of a mind-bending substance you would know what I’m saying. I have experienced drugs in my dreams before and it was a unique experience.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about the limitless possibilities of the mind, dreaming, astral projection, meditation, etc. and any other consciousness expanding activity. But I think they are all unique in their own ways even though there are overlaps and similarities.

Acid itself does not artificially stimulate the brain like you said, it inhibits and increases the production of various neuro-chemicals (which are found naturally in the brain) causing drastic changes in consciousness. According to this book I’ve read called The Dream Drugstore by Alan Hobson, dreaming, chemically altered state of consciousness, and psychosis are all similar in that they are the results of similar (but not the same) changes in the brains natural chemistry.

Nuclei: words can never fully communicate these kinds of experiences but what you wrote does seem like real experiences of an acid trip. I wish we knew more about this kind of stuff to see if what happened to you was more than just a dream creation. I think maybe it could have been.

Sorry about the double post.

I’ve experienced a number of drugs both in the dream state and in waking reality. Dreams seem to be able to recreate the experience of smoking pot fairly reliably, so I wouldn’t say it isn’t possible to recreate the more intense hallucinogens. I remember taking cocaine in a dream when I was about 12 years old. I’ve never really done cocaine but in my dream I experienced a totally altered state of mind.

I seem to remember Terrence Mckenna saying that dreams could completely replicate the experience of taking even really large doses of mushrooms.

Wow thats cool about the cocaine. I’ll have to try that. Perhaps when you take a drug in a dream your mind believes that perception should change and so your thoughts begin to take different nerve routes in the brain. Perhaps we could use these ‘dream drugs’ to open new possibilities in the world of lucid dreaming.

Just recently I had a dream about going to the bathroom and looking in the mirror. My face was a haze and my pupils were contracting and dilating, alternating left to right. I said to myself, “I’m tripping!..but I didn’t take any shrooms.” Then I realize it was a dream and lost lucidity.

I’ve tripped shrooms before, HARD, and I can honestly say the Lucid Dream I had recently (not the one I just mentioned), was 100X better while it lasted! :happy:

Thats because psylobin or whatever its called, the active ingrediant of mushrooms chemical structure is almost identical to DMT, which there is a theory that the brain releases DMT (which occurs naturally in the brain) when someone is dreaming and even more so when lucid dreaming.

I’ve had lucid dream where things have happened much like mushroom trips, eg. seeing the walls squash and stretch extremely, look at my hands and have them slowly fade in and out of the background of my vision and also my spirit guide creating some pretty cool patterns (not geometric though) on walls. The feeling of me sometimes realising i’m in a lucid dream where you get that strange body feeling, is similar to the peak when on mushrooms in my opinion.

I have experienced a large number of psycoreactive substances. My experiences with LSD were similar to some lucid dreams but I agree that they cannot be fully recreated. I usually experience substance with more pronounced body highs in my dreams ie. meth, coke, cannabis, opiates. In fact, in one dream, me and a friend of mine had about a g of meth and it was the longest lucid dream in my memory and I felt geeked out of my mind like speed so I think drugs with body highs are easier to recreate or imagine in the dream world. Your acid experience sounds like a recreation of all the stories about trip people hear. Kinda like a mental recreation of the assumption of an experience. And any substance or stimulus from senses stimulates the brain, I think you are discounting the human experience with your view on psycadelics.

you lucky…I never get sleep paralysis, on my side or not.

Ive had a few trippy dreams. Once i was dreaming i was walking on the side of a high way and all of a sudden color wre all over and moving around, and then i saww a giant grasshopper in the sky with vivid fruity colors swirling around. I then dreamet that i passed out o nteh side of the highway. And then i enede up being like frogger trying to cross the highway, good times. Thast a funny word the only way is the Highway. Tripping the highway. words are funny things.

Rotting flesh and maggots? That doesn’t sound like something you’d see in an acid trip…

…I mean, not that I would know or anything :shy:

but it sounds more like a Belladonna trip.

not that I would know or anything.

You can also find DMT in nature and smoke it. It’s known to give THE most hallucinations, about 1000X more potent than a LD.

lol, you had a bad trip…IN A DREAM, that’s wicked. Have that dream again, and try to not have the bad trip, panic attacks, cause you’ve never tripped before you had a bad trip. Anyone who takes acid without ever doing any other hallucinagines freaks out. It’s to overwhelming for them. If you can get to the point where you can have that dream but it isnt a bad trip…I will forever be jelous of you, acid trips every night for free with no health risks at all. It is pretty cool sounding though, I’m going to have to try and get a trippy dream like this now.