saint john's wort

I don’t know if this has any effect on lding or not. But saint johns wort is a vitamine supplement that increasess consentration. I don’t know if it helps with lding because you don’t see any effects the first few weeks you taking it and i just started this week. I just figuered that this increased consentration would carry into ones sleep and possibly inprove dream recall.

I think it´s said to give you a bit more vivid dreams.
Also, afaik it´s an anti-depressant, so maybe the effect on dreams has something to do with modified serotonin/dopamin levels?

tapir

good thought. If it does indeed mess with dopamine receptors. It has been shown in scientific studies that substances that effect dopamine receptors do indeed effect the vividness of dreams.

I started taking St. John’s wart last night. I was on an anti depressant called serzone for about a year back in 1999. This stuff gave me unbelievable dream recall. My dreams were extreemly vivid. I figured that a light anti depressant may have a similar effect.

Some info I’ve coolected off the web:

Specifically, St. John’s wort is non-addictive, non-habituating, and has no withdrawal symptoms. It does not interefere with REM sleep, enhances sleep and dreaming, has no adverse effects when mixed with alcohol or drugs (for exception, see below), and does not cause drowsiness or agitation.

St. John’s Wort is useful in treating SAD. Hyla Cass, MD recommends St. John’s Wort to promote restful sleep and enhance dreaming.

Although the exact mechanism by which St. John’s wort works is unclear, it is believed to involve slowing the disposal of serotonin, thus boosting serotonin levels. Common side effects are extraordinarily vivid dreams (especially if taken just before bedtime), somewhat increased appetite, and a heightened production ofby the kidneys, thus requiring the patient to increase fluid intake to avoid dehydration.

I will take it for the next few weeks and report the results.

3 days on St. John’s Wort and My dream recall has been excellent. Also had my second LD. (could be a coincidence)

Well, I’ve been taking St. John’s Wort for 6 days now and have been having excellent dream recall

How much and when do you take it?
How has your recall been before starting?

Sounds like an interesting one :smile:

I take 300 mg 3 times a day. Breakfest, lunch and bedtime. (this is what is recommended)

My dream recall wasn’t as good before the St. John’s wort. I have been on an 11 day stretch of good dream recall, the last 7 have been with St. Johns Wort. I have had 3 LD’s in the last 7 days and only 1 before that. My recall prior to the past 11 days hasn’t been good. About 50% of the nights I had no recall. This could be a coincidence but I believe that it is helping.

I took some Valerian Root last night and I was so tired that I couldn’t even record in my DJ. I would wake up for a few seconds after a dream and doze back off before I had a chance to remember the dream.

I won’t be taking it again.