Lucid Dream controlling...anyone got problems?

Hey…this is my first post…ya!!

Anyway…ive been lucid dreaming for a while now, but not consistently or anything, but when i do its usually pretty lucid and vivid, but the only problem i have is manipulating my dream space. Like i can try to hell to will something to happen and sometimes it does, but usually it doesnt work. Like somtimes attempting to fly doesnt even work. Even willing something to appear wont work.

Anybody else have this problem? Any tips to beat it? Lucid dreaming is a blast, but when i cant control it i might as well be awake…

Cats

One way is to find a door (or even a mirror or wall if you can walk through them) and to say out loud what will be behind the door. Then you open the door and see if it worked! :content: If you imagine a jetpack shop :grin: behind the door you can get yourself to fly too!

Here’s a Q&A about dream control which I posted a few weeks ago. It might help a bit:

HOW TO CONTROL DREAMS

Specifically, lucid dreams. Control and lucidity are two unrelated factors. Many people, including myself, have good dream control while less than lucid, yet as lucidity increases control decreases to almost nothing. This does not apply to everyone. Other people effortlessly gain control of their dreams when they become lucid. Some struggle and are somewhere in between. It merely demonstrates that lucidity and control are two totally different things. Becoming aware of dreaming doesn’t grant control over the dream in itself.

Q: So how do I control my LDs?

There are actually several different ways to control and manipulate your dreams. The main problems you face is that your brain resists major changes in what it perceives and tends to wake up when there is a major shock(when you break that resistance and change something suddenly in other words). If you are trying to make an item appear or change scenery, obstructing your view in some way (shaking your head, closing/covering your eyes, turning away, etc.) can reduce the amount of resistance from your brain. Staring at whatever you want to change makes it harder. You can use willpower, magic, “things around the corner,” or “acting.”

Q: Alrighty then. My mind is strong. I have outrageous amounts of will! . . . Why doesn’t it work?

A: Although willing things to change or appear in front of you is a fairly obvious idea and seems like a good idea, it is not. Forcing your brain into accepting major changes in it’s perception is a bad idea. For example, many people have trouble maintaining lucidity because that change alone is too much.

Q: Dang; if changing your way of thinking is enough to wake you up no wonder willing things in dreams doesn’t work well. Is it possible at all?

A: Yes, most people can will things to happen to some extent right off, but it usually wakes them up. As your brain gets used to the changes to lucidity in dreams and by manipulating things in other ways, direct willpower changes won’t be such a shock to it. It won’t resist as much and won’t have such a strong tendency to wake you up.

Q: Magic is kool! I want magic! What is the deal with this?

A: Well, there are many versions of dream magic. Each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

1. Wishful thinking is the traditional psychiatric understanding of magic. As it applies to your dream, you hope for and/or ask for whatever it is you want to come to you or appear. It isn’t always successful in dreams, but since it lets your brain supply whatever you are asking for it has less of a shock factor than the willpower control method.

2. Command is basically the same as wishful thinking, but instead of asking you vocally command whatever you want to appear/change/whatever. You may shout “Tree!” to make a tree appear. You may shout “Fireball!” to shoot a fireball from your hand. Although this has a better chance of actually getting something than wishful thinking, it can have more of an impact on your brain as well, which tends to wake you up. This and asking are both often recommended to newbies because it takes little skill to get dramatic results. It also can be a stable method of control (doesn’t wake you up) once you get used to it.

3. Cards is a method of “magical” dream control that I came up with. ;> It is a combination of roundabout ways that should be able to give you great results with minimal impact. You need to have a pack of cards in your hand (how you get them in your dream doesn’t matter). When you want to do something, you think that it will be the top card of the deck. You draw that top card and it should have a picture of whatever it is you want. Then it isn’t much of a stretch for your mind if you make the pre-existing image “jump” off the card in some way. You could draw a tree card, then hold out the card so that you see the image of the tree where you want a tree to appear in your dream. You can make the card dissolve into a tree or move the card away and expect a tree to be in the space blocked from view by the tree card. Another good example is a bolt of lightning card. You draw your lightning card, then point it the card in the direction you want it to strike. Make the image grow and “leap” off the card and let the electricity discharge onto a pole, the ground, etc. As you can see, there is a lot of variations that are left to the individual user, but it is easier in that every change occurs in steps, minimizing the shock to the brain that would cause you to wake up. Since it even helps you out with the “creation” of the appropriate card, there is less resistance to forming the change as well.

Q: Wow, that can get pretty round-about. Is there another way than magic?

A: Sure, the “around the corner” method. All you need to do is expect whatever it is you want to be around a corner or behind a door. This is different than willpower or magic in that you are not “exactly” changing anything. Your brain hasn’t perceived what is behind that door or around that corner, so it won’t resist the idea much or be too shocked about whatever it is you put there. In this method, your brain even helps to supply whatever it is you put there, minimizing the shock further.

Q: So how the heck is acting going to help?

A: If you want an object or effect, acting like it is already there can make it appear (or have whatever effect you want). This one is good in combination with other techniques. For example, if you use Command magic to summon a gun, but don’t get one, act like you did. Show it to people, shoot the bad guys etc. There will be some resistance, but before long your “gun” will start doing damage to things you shoot. The main problem that I have experienced with this technique is that dream characters act like you are a nut until your gun or whatever materializes or has an effect like it has. I keep saying have the effect like it has materialized because the other side effect is that often your gun (or whatever) won’t actually become visible, but will still shoot and do damage (or whatever it is your item does . It seems that focusing on “acting” like the item is really there can make the dream just act like it is there.

Q: Which techniques can I use right off?

A: You need to experiment. Most people can only use a few of the techniques in the beginning, but which ones work very from person to person. Once your brain gets used to these changes, it becomes easier to control your dreams.

Q: There is a lot of weird crud in here. What is the point of chucking fireballs and whatnot in lucid dreams?

A: Well, there is no point in having lucid dreams as opposed to regular dreams if you aren’t going to control it in some way (unless you just want dreams that are more vivid, but it seems like a lot of work for just that). The more you change dreams, the easier creating more and greater changes becomes. Doing things that are outside of normal physics or break laws of physics (like chucking fireballs) makes major changes become easier. How you use your control is up to you. You may want to explore the virtual world of your mind. You may want to just fly around and blow stuff up. Some people like to practice for sporting events or to take a practice exam. An idea used so much it has become like a saying is “having sex on a roller coaster with a supermodel,” which some people do. It is all up to you.

Source: hopkinsfan.net/ld/blueboy/blueboy4.html

Good luck! :happy:

wow…it seems fun…i’ll try for first time tonight…when i was younger, i used to have LD naturally, though i didnt try to change anything just went to city, talked with ppl, etc…does this expierence make me easier to get to LD?