Making Dreams To Order!

(Article from Reuters)

Making Dreams To Order
1-14-4

TOKYO (Reuters) – The Japanese company that came up with the hit “BowLingual” device that translates dogs’ barks into human words has now come up with a dream product – literally.

Takara Co Ltd says its Yumemi Kobo, or “dream workshop,” gadget gives stressed out people a chance to go on a holiday or find their ideal partner – at least in their dreams.

Before nodding off, the would-be dreamer is supposed to look at a photo of what he or she wants to dream about and then record the story-line on the $140 machine.

Using the voice recording as well as lights, music and aromas, the machine stimulates sleepers during periods of rapid eye movement (REM) sleep and helps them direct their own dreams, the company says.

After eight hours, it wakes them up gradually with music and lights that simulate sunlight, avoiding any shock that could destroy fragile memories.

The manufacturers caution, though, that not all users of the gadget achieve exactly the dreams they hope for.

“We are still experimenting, mainly with company employees,” Kenji Hattori, a Takara marketing executive, told reporters on Wednesday.

“Some said the theme was right, but the story-line was wrong. Some said the noise woke them up. But it has worked for quite a number of people,” he said.

Copyright © 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm … ID=4126337

interesting indeed… :smile:
Sad they did not share details about how device works

This company must pay big buck to their PR people. This product has been shown all over our local news. It looks like pure crap to me.

Their “Bow-lingual” product is also crap, but has been given so much TV air time that it makes me puke. As if I believe some keychain device can interpret my dogs barks.

It looks like this company is good at making party and gag gifts. It’s all junk and doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

hehe, :wink: sorry to sound so negative, but I hate seeing this junk get so much publicity when other more helpful ways to influence our dreams for free get overlooked.

I agree with DA…that seems like they are basing on everyones ability to induce a dream,just giving them a bit of placebo/motivation add on.
But on the other hand…it makes me happy reading that theres something goin on in this field and maybe such things will be improved and one day we`ll get something more reliable:)

jtk also posted this story in another thread “Japanese dream machine” Along with this link:
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3395505.stm

Thanks jtk.

That’s right jack! New dream products seem to come out every year. Hopefully one year they’ll make something worthwhile, and perhaps this product is a step in the right direction. I just hope it’s from a more respectable company than: “Takara Co, which brought the world the “bowlingual” and “meowlingual” devices - which purport to translate your pet’s communication” :neutral:

I agree with you whole-heartedly DA. This stuff is complete crap. Theonly thing that might make it have the lsightest chance at working is the placebo effect which of course dreas are very susceptible to.

I just saw it on tv, and checked out if anyone posted about it…

The tv news didn’t have any details but I read the details on the web.

It doesn’t seem likely to work. It’s not as if they invented some new technique after all…

its basically a novadreamer, with a voice recorder that plays your message whenever the LED’s go off…

nothing less, nothing more… it IS however cheaper…

the one thing that looks odd to me is that instead of a mask its a sort of funny looking alarm clock that sits on your night stand, leading me to believe that its not so much ‘sensing’ REM as it is playing your recording and blinking lights, etc. every 90 minutes.

I personally am far more interested in THIS: science.slashdot.org/science/04/ … ml?tid=126

Its an article reported on at slashdot about a company that created a 2mm x 2mm chip that plugs into ones brain and gathers information from the neurons buzzing around to ‘read your thoughts’. Its highly primitive in that right now they are going to be putting it to use in severly disabled people so they can control the mouse with their thoughts. Eventually though if we learn enough about the information these neurons are sending there could be some pretty exciting uses as far as LDing goes… NOTE: this is NO BULL, they have already proven this to work in monkeys, and a similar device that isnt so much a chip, but a screw that is put in the back of head to pick up brain waves is already in human trials, and while the humans with it can move the move with their thoughts, it doesn’t have the sme capability this chip does in the long run…

The matrix is not that far away my friends…

This is truly a great time to be alive… 2012 is around the corner :wink:

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Sure, it’s probably not guarenteed to work with everyone, every time, but it’s just external induction - which works pretty well for me.

It sounds promising, i doubt it would work for me. Im just not sure with controlling your dream idea, that sounds a little to easy, even though its hard. Im happy to see that someone is actually trying to invent this, who knows what we have instored in the future :grin: . Im looking forward to 2012, and at the same time im not :neutral:

This idea made me laugh. Dogs aren’t spart anough to keep a constand tone or style of barking. There barking changes randomly. Also, what says a dog in Britian speaks Endog, and a dog in Japan speaks Japdog.

I have seen chip in the brain experiments. However, I would rather have a chip on my head than in my head.

I don’t want any chip in my head. No thanks…

https://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/17/1936234.shtml?tid=159&tid=186
Device also mentioned on slashdot… Some posts that mentioned lucid dreaming also

This Device has gotten so much press, everybody I know has mentioned this new device in passing, and though I hang out with the slashdot crowd, it’s a perfect example of how the main stream public is desperately seeking a miracle device to LD .

How many times have you heard somebody say “I had the craziest dream last night”, it’s a staple as a conversation topic. Usually when someone brings it up the other doesn’t even listen they just anticipate telling their own dream story.

Why is LD 'ing not better highlighted in society, because people love to substitute Dream for LD and thus confuse what they are referring to. Even the device is called the “dream workshop”.

We live in a society full of people obsessed with dreaming and thus LD 's, they just don’t know it. One day society will “wake up” and allocate the proper resources to this important “human development” project.

Firstly, I think the device is rubbish. It may well work, but it does nothing that you can’t do yourself for free.

Secondly, I don’t really think most of the population would care about lucid dreaming, even if they did know about it. While it is true that people talk about dreams relatively often, I don’t think that they really care about their dreams that much.